River Space On The Chet

Has anyone else found that a number of boats aren't comfortable edging into the reeds in the Chet to make sure everyone passes ok?

we had 1 boat basically run us into the bank last week and then a hire boat taking the river too fast clip the end of our boat just after.

we had already passed 3 boats who had slowed like we did and moved slightly into the reeds so not sure if it was inexperience or nervousness

luckily the boat I use is quite narrow, so I can happily edge into the reeds- though its even worse when you have some wild swimmers swimming along the Chet, difficult enough to pass safely even when there is nothing coming

• Like 2

I passed a few boats on the Chet last week. They were all going at the appropriate speed and we had no issues whatsoever. I suppose it's dependent on many factors but maybe you were a little unlucky to have two boats that caused a problem. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

I passed a few boats on the Chet last week. They were all going at the appropriate speed and we had no issues whatsoever. I suppose it's dependent on many factors but maybe you were a little unlucky to have two boats that caused a problem. 

Yeah it’s the first time we’ve had any issues like that apart from some people being closer than ideal. 
I’m chalking it up as a freak occurrence

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Troyboy said:

Likewise. We met a few boats (both hire and private) as we were chugging towards Loddon yesterday but had no problems passing. We had a mid cockpit hire boat pass us on the way out this morning but I signalled to them to pass once I had found room for them to overtake as he was closing in on us!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 3

Its not just the Chet!  We were on a hire boat at the end of last month.  As we passed the old abbey moorings where there were a lot of boats moored we went past at a sensible (slow) speed giving them a sensible gap between us.  We had a 'bathtub' with limited rear vision and to my utter amazement we were passed on the INSIDE by a dual steer hire boat (I won't mention the name) which was going flat out and turned up the Ant at speed.  I'll bet he was very unpopular with the moored boats. The appearance of Ludham bridge slowed him down though! :default_smiley-char054:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've cruised the Chet twice and, on both occasions, have been lucky to not have to pass anyone. Coming across another boat, particularly through the 'chicane' towards the confluence with the Yare, is something I am dreading!

1 minute ago, BrundallNavy said:

The last time we went down the Chet some of the corners are getting very narrow with at least 10ft of reeds growing into the river.  I needs to be cut back quite severely to maintain a decent navigation. 

I've read somewhere that there's an authority responsible for maintaining the navigation, anyone seen any evidence of this or is it just one of those rumours? 😂

• Haha 12

1 minute ago, Ray said:

I've read somewhere that there's an authority responsible for maintaining the navigation, anyone seen any evidence of this or is it just one of those rumours? 😂

Evidently, just a rumour!  The Chet was (allegedly) dredged not so long ago.  Shame they didn’t do the ruddy job properly.  The begging bowl will be out soon, so they can afford to do it again, unless they’re just going to let it silt up!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I noticed the reeds growing out into the river when we were there a few weeks ago. I don't mind nudging against the reeds at the edge, but I didn't really consider that driving over those growing up further out was going to be very good for the boat. Fortunately I didn't meet any other boats in any of those places so wasn't forced to decide what to do. But the the clear water did narrow considerably.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Happy said:

Its not just the Chet!  We were on a hire boat at the end of last month.  As we passed the old abbey moorings where there were a lot of boats moored we went past at a sensible (slow) speed giving them a sensible gap between us.  We had a 'bathtub' with limited rear vision and to my utter amazement we were passed on the INSIDE by a dual steer hire boat (I won't mention the name) which was going flat out and turned up the Ant at speed.  I'll bet he was very unpopular with the moored boats. The appearance of Ludham bridge slowed him down though! :default_smiley-char054:

Oh wow! Passing on the inside is a crazy move! We also have a bathtub without rear view mirrors, easier when the roof is back otherwise you have your head out the window 😂

10 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Is passing on the "inside" considered an offence ?

It is by me…😎

But seriously I don’t know, good question, I’m sure someone who knows will be along soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

It is by me…😎

But seriously I don’t know, good question, I’m sure someone who knows will be along soon.

It is by me too! 

I'm pleased to report that I only passed three boats whilst going up the Chet this morning and all were observing the speed limit (or less), as were we. It was very relaxing. I stuck my phone on the roof with the Merlin App running towards the upper Chet and captured an incredible amount of bird song. 

• Like 2

Coincidentally a boat passed us on the inside in almost the exact same spot going upstream towards the Abbey 2 or 3 years ago. He desperately wanted to pass for some reason and was going relatively quickly. He began to run out of space on the bend so ended up cutting across us from the starboard side. As soon as I was aware of him I throttled back and turned to port, nonetheless he struck us on the starboard forward quarter (is that the right terminology?) No damage as by then it was a glancing blow.

He would not stop or acknowledge his actions so I called BA and reported it, they sounded interested but as far as I know took no action despite the fact I was able to give them the boat name and number.

27 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Is passing on the "inside" considered an offence ?

Not an offence as far as I know, the FIL always taught me to be 1-2x boats width away from the bank on the starboard side giving a lot of space to the middle of the river. 

if your passing me on the inside you’re flirting very dangerously with the bank! 😂

• Like 1

I've been passed on the inside fairly often, dayboats being the worst culprits. I try and maintain an awareness of what's going on behind and if there's somebody gaining on me keep well right to force them.to overtake on the outside. I've been caught out though and missed someone, especially on forward steers where the view astern is pretty poor.

• Like 1

EDP LODDON

"A Norfolk Broads town could soon get a new facility for paddleboarders and kayakers as part of the restoration of a dilapidated bridge and riverside area.

The crossing at the Staithe in Loddon has been closed for more than 15 years after South Norfolk Council, which owns it, deemed it unsafe.

Norfolk Councillor Kay Mason Billig has been fighting for it to be repaired or replaced.

She has managed to secure £150,000 in funding to fix or replace it and hopes to use excess money to develop the Staithe, where boats moor on the River Chet, as an activity hub."

Does this mean that space on the river Chet will soon be at a premium?

it would seem to me both a lovely place for access to the water for padle boards and kyaks, and at the same time not a  gret place for them when also trying to navigate a boat along the chet, perhaps if the reeds were trimmed bringing it back to its old width, then it would be safer for the other river users like paddle boarders and kayakers

17 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I've been passed on the inside fairly often, dayboats being the worst culprits. I try and maintain an awareness of what's going on behind and if there's somebody gaining on me keep well right to force them.to overtake on the outside. I've been caught out though and missed someone, especially on forward steers where the view astern is pretty poor.

Me too. I was helming along the Ant just before How Hill once going at barely tick over when a boat came in the opposite direction (no, I didn't run from the helm in utter panic thank you very much Smogs :default_biggrin:) As I moved over a tad to give the other boat enough room a day boat came out of nowhere on the inside, how I didn't hit him is anyone's guess. I kept calm and moved slightly over to the middle to avoid him and then he had the nerve to have a go at me. Now I don't swear everyday but he was told to have sex and travel. The boat going in the opposite direction had a bit of a shout at him too and thanked me for good helming

Now I don't know whether it's illegal or not but sometimes it's just plain stupidity

Grace x

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 03/06/2024 at 16:53, catcouk said:

I've cruised the Chet twice and, on both occasions, have been lucky to not have to pass anyone. Coming across another boat, particularly through the 'chicane' towards the confluence with the Yare, is something I am dreading!

Encountered someone in that section last year, we were in a bathtub. Just clipped our starboard rear on the woodwork bank reinforcement as we avoided the oncomer's stern which was going quite a long way around 😬 knocked our lifering off the roof and I had to fetch it with a boathook after a quick 180 in course. 

My dad was driving and it put him on edge for the rest of the day unfortunately. I saw a bathtub with mirrors the other day and I reckon it would have helped a lot...

@YnysMon - one of those was us, after last year's experience we basically stayed on tickover until we got to the Yare 😅

The Chet is a lovely river but with the reed growth into the channel it is hugely technical at times 😳

the closest shave I have had was at horning on a cruise in company, where as we were approaching the bend, around it came 3 boats, all overtaking each other, the third being well over the wrong side of the river, well I tucked in tight to all the moored boats and was passing them, with fenders almost touching, and still only missed the oncoming boat by a few inches, the river curves there so I was twitching the stern round in the gaps between boats, the boats behind me were all in a pickle too and fortunately just round the corner was a ranger who had witnessed the carnage, and went to have a word with the boat overtaking the other 2 on the wrong side of the river. we had a good number of boats in our convoy so more than a few had to take emergency action, I was the one who had virtually no warning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think the Chet is "hugely technical" at all and a few reeds growing out on the odd bend mean nothing. It doesn't automatically mean there is a mound of mud midstream and even if you passed directly over the top, I suspect all you would do is help clear it!!! I used to drive over that sort of thing if it was just a few stalks and never came to any harm. 

If I recall, when they were putting in the new flood banks, the EA took a long time down the Chet because of unstable ground conditions - probably some leftovers! Also don't forget they had a lot of issues at Hardley Flood - not walked the bank for a bit but the changes they could have made, may have had some influence on the flow - upstream of that I guess the flow may now now well be less. But it still does not make it "hugely technical"  - if it is what do you call Breydon Water or mooring at Reedham?

Lots and lots of posters moaning but who has had the sense to phone the BA and talk to the River's Engineer actually in charge of dredging - my bet is none!!!!! He is guy you need to talk to - he is very approachable - or was!!!!!