Christmas on the Broads

Mandybstorm

xmas2xmas3xmas6

We have just found out that we will be on Moonlight Shadow for Christmas. Yipee!

Is anyone else daft enough to do the same? Any advice or ideas welcome!

I'm a veggie anyway but the rest of the family aren't. Sorry folks but turkey is out of the question, gammon may be on the menu along with lots of roast veggies.

We normally spend Christmas in Egypt so this year will certainly be different. The relatives will never find us :naughty: :naughty:

Tinsel and a miniature Christmas tree is now on the shopping list and I musn't forget to let Santa know!

• Like 1

Hi Mandy. As I mentioned on the phone, we were on board MS for Christmas Day last year.  There was not much boat traffic, and the weather was not too cold. We festooned her with loads of outdoor LEDs and caused quite a stir when we moored down at Loddon, a number of people came along and took her photo!

I'll let you know a bit more at the AGM.

SueH

• Like 1

Hate to contradict Peter but Bridge Inn closed last year on Christmas day although several pubs do open. We have been out mid December now for quite a few years. It's brilliant, very quiet, the main to watch for is water as availibilty is a bit limited although not a major problem. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Great Mandy, we follow you on, on the 27th.  We did a Christmas, I think three years ago; Peter makes a good point regarding the warmth aspect and we take on a small electric heater.  If you run the MS heater I am told it uses about one litre of diesel and hour, certainly puts up the fuel bill a good bit. :)

Oh eck, I go back to the days when many of the boats only had a small heater in the saloon. Having had many freezing cold early  "Spring" holidays, it was a case of the woolie toorie on the bonce and plenty of blankets, not to mention the faithful hot water bottles.

First up put all the gas rings on, and the oven, plus the heater, and watched the windows drip with condensation in no time at all. Old newspapers were vary handy around the window edges to collect the drips.

To think we could have flown off to sunny Spain or Tenerife, instead we preferred to "chill out" instead on the Broads, and it has NEVER put us off!.

cheers Iain.

• Like 5

Simon, we don't have heating so don't notice the difference :Sailing ! Seriously though, we have roomy sleeping bags, fleece sleeping bag liners, fleece hats and fleece booties, snug as a bug in a rug! Bit cold going to the privy though! First one up in the morning turns the cooker on, soon warms things up. If it gets really cold then we even close the cabin door . . . . . . . . . . 

I think it is a great idea, but if it cold I want to be at home in my arm chair in front of an open fire.

Last year over Easter we had ice covering the boat and frost on all moorings and the night had been so cold our bodies / feet would not get warm.

We will be waiting to read your Christmas story  :naughty: .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

Well, if you wear that on your boat, Peter, you'll certainly get a lot of attention!  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

AS a child our house had one open fire in the front room and the rest of the house was left to find it's own level, scraping ice of the inside of bedroom windows to see outside was common, I believe my boat is warm in comparison.

We were the same as you little sprite, plus the luxury of an outside loo.

Didn't stop there too long reading the paper in the winter.

Loving the thought of that howard! So long as it snows once we are onboard otherwise we will never get there in our ford focus. It is totally unusable in the snow!

I sold my freelander a couple of days before we got around 3 feet of snow! We live on an unadopted road at one of the highest points in matlock. When it snows it always drifts and we are usually stuck for at least three weeks!

Hate to contradict Peter but Bridge Inn closed last year on Christmas day although several pubs do open. We have been out mid December now for quite a few years. It's brilliant, very quiet, the main to watch for is water as availibilty is a bit limited although not a major problem. Enjoy!

Thank you howard. Regarding the water i presume some of the water filling facilities close down for the winter. Is there anyway of finding out which ones are still working before we go? We usually stay at the quieter, grassy, free moorings as these are better for the dogs but in the dead of winter i suppose everywhere will be quiet! St benets chedgrave gays staithe and salhouse are usual haunts for us. If we want to use shore powerfor a heater we will have to rethink our stops.

Xx

Hi Mandy,

If you click on forums/visiting the broads/useful links, slipways, information/B.A. Electric Posts it will take you to the Broads Authority website at the Charging/Electric post location and possible suppliers of the £1 electric cards, you can also contact the B.A. prior to your visit and they will send purchased cards through the post.

Here is a link to the Useful Links section of the forum:-

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/11-useful-links-slipways-information/

Regards

Alan

Mandy,

The "most" out of season I have been is feb half term. It was bright sunny and bloody cold!

If it was me I would only be mooring where there is mains power and I would be having suitable oil filled rads to leave on over night. Thunder has a 2kw radiator for the saloon and we have an 850w and 1kw oil rads for the cabins (you won't need more as the cabins are small).

On evening shadow we found that the heat rose into the saloon and there was a large difference in temp between the roof and the saloon floor. The floor area was cold (engine bay underneath) so take warm socks!

I personally would not be venturing down through Yarmouth. You have four weeks a year and those other weeks will be better suited to crossing Breydon with the longer cruising days. Also I don't know what sort of service Maffets would be offering that week should anything happen in Breydon?

Hi Mandy

Our favoured watering point in winter is Reedham. Although they take the hoses away in winter the water is left on, you just need a short length of hose to take with you. If you are feeling very energetic you can fill up with a bucket and funnel (been there, got the T shirt). The water is left on all year at Ranworth. Also Horning Marina Services and Ludham Bridge services are open in the winter and we have found them very helpful. We have had water at Moonfleet too – again very helpful. Goodchilds should have water on all year but never used them. Oulton Broad Yacht station is open in winter (mornings only) but I can’t remember if they turn the water off or not. I have also had water from outside the pilots office in Potter Heigham in the past. It also helps to be a bit frugal with the water if you can, not too many showers!!