Wind!

SueH

Hi all.

Set off from Oulton Broad this morning having had a couple of nights there to watch the power boat racing on BH Monday.  Very exciting it was too.

Mind you, even more exciting now, BA are patrolling the Oulton Dyke to make sure the yachts etc are safe.  32mph winds have been measured and some very interesting waves.   The NBN burgee was working exceptionally hard!

Booked into Beccles for two nights today and tomorrow (Tuesday/Wednesday) on the river.  Fortunately being blown on.  A number of gusts of wind nearly knocked me over while we were mooring up - good job was wearing the life jacket.  Fortunately it was not needed.  Apparently it is going to get worse before it gets better.  At least we got here in one piece.  

Hopefully Iain is having a slightly better time of it up North.

Beccles is fairly quiet at the moment, but there may be more people coming along later to have a safe bolt hole.  

SueH

• Like 2

Greetings (bump) its blowing a hooly at Wroxham (bigger bump)  MAY yer havin a laff :naughty:  Stay safe all. Its hard work steering straight! (bump!} Moored at the public staithe, Hoveton/Wroxham. 

cheers Iain

• Like 8

Oulton Broad at this minute in time is very lively! White horses, bit like the Roaring Forties, the wind is 'hully hossing' down the Broad with winds well in excess of force six. Good job that it wasn't yesterday, I'm sure that the speedboat racing would have been cancelled.

Just heard from a friend who has a gin palace in brundall. Went to brooms to fill up and got caught by a massive gust which has taken him onto another boat. Tripped his bow thruster out trying to avoid it!

Glad I'm not out in this is all I can say. Still it's dry!

• Like 1

Just heard from a friend who has a gin palace in brundall. Went to brooms to fill up and got caught by a massive gust which has taken him onto another boat. Tripped his bow thruster out trying to avoid it!

Glad I'm not out in this is all I can say. Still it's dry!

Was it Thunder?!

We moor on the next pontoon.....

I know if we chose to have a sail boat, that every time we tried to go out, it would be as calm as the doldrums.

Just our luck... here is another example...

I tried to paint the front door on the house once, not a cloud in the sky, stood back to look at my handywork, felt a drop of rain, looked up, there was a small cloud about the size of a barrage balloon over the house... no others... ended up with an orange peel effect... doh..

Now we use Ronseal.... rainproof in 30 minutes... and it is lol, tested it several times.

Hi Matt wasn't thunder it was a fairline squadron.

Apparently a few scratches as I think the anchor caught his boat. He sounded a bit shaken.

No hit and run anyway. I think he had half of NYA helping him get back on the mooring.

For once in glad to be at work!!

• Like 1

Those of you on holiday this week are not having the weather on your side it seems. That is one thing you cannot book and have to take pot luck. Fortunately, we did pick a good week, which let's face it, makes all the difference when you have waited so long for your holidays. Let's hope that the next few days are a bit more favourable for those out on the Broads. Here in the Midlands, it is very wet and windy at the moment.

Afternoon all, what's all this about the sedate cruising of the Norfolk Broads. the next sentence is UNPRINTABLE  I leave you all to imagine what I am thinking. Well I put on my thinking cap and decided on a lovely short cruise today to Coltishall, spied two Kingfishers but sadly no picks of them. Anyway as I type the rain and hail is stoating aff the roof of the good ship BROADWAY2. We are tied up nice and cosey not a boat in sight.

I am just about to send a MODS letter to the BBC Weather people. Oh BTW I left home to avoid the breezes, but instead get bloody full blown gales lol grrrrrrrrr.

• Like 8

Tut Tut Iain!

We are still lurking in Beccles.  Have been a number of interesting gusts that, again, nearly blew me over.  

Southern Crusader came along and moored in front of us earlier today.  Their first trip out in her and first visit to Beccles.  They needed the help of us and the harbour master to get her sorted.  

Apparently the harbour master was expecting two others to arrive for mooring on the river.  Needless to say they haven't arrived!

• Like 1

Hi Sue,

As you know boats like Southern Crusader & Ranworth Breeze (apt name) can suffer when it comes to mooring, locations like the yacht station at Beccles and Ranworth which tend to be quite open; we have had to use the centre and aft ropes when stern mooring, the wind tends to push us sideways.

When it is like this we try and moor next the highest sided boat we can see moored.

Regards

Alan

Southern Crusader came along and moored in front of us earlier today.  Their first trip out in her and first visit to Beccles.  They needed the help of us and the harbour master to get her sorted.  

Apparently the harbour master was expecting two others to arrive for mooring on the river.  Needless to say they haven't arrived!

Hi Sue,

Thanks for helping out! Its Paul and Teresa on this week, their second week on the broads and their first on Southern Crusader, bit of a baptism of fire I think with such a high sided boat and these winds. Say hello from me if you see them.

Jon

When i first saw this threads title, i thought somebody had flatulance?.

Seriously though, we`ve had a couple of casualties down here in Dorset. I got home yesterday to find the tv ariel pole had sheared in the middle of the mounting bracket, allowing the whole lot to fall over and land lay in the neighbours garden. The ironic thing is, we`ve still got a brilliant picture, so i`ve propped it up and clamped the propping plank to the fence, untill next weekend when, and here`s the second point of irony, i was going to re-mount the ariel on stronger brackets and pole. So now i HAVE to do it.

The other casualty is one of the summerhouse doors was ripped from the door frame pulling the hinges out with it. I`ve had do a two stage repair, whith stage 2 being on friday afternoon. Then all is required is re attach the hinges with longer screws.

Apart from that, i envy you all you lot up there in this wind. We`ve been up there in weather similar to this week, and it`s made the holiday a bit more exciting. As for mooring, we discussed this elswhere on another thread, sheltered moorings, one of my favourites being Loddon, so if sheltering there, we for a few days, we could have breakfast in Rosie Leas every morning. Come to think of it, we could have lunch there every day too, or is that just me being either lazy, or greedy?.

Stay safe and enjoy it folks, at least you`re seeing another version of the beauty of the broads.

• Like 1