Ferry inn stokesby

Wonderwall

"I won't go to a pub that doesn't welcome children" Me neither, we are one of the worst countries for this type of thing, in Spain and Italy etc kids are welcome with open arms especially in the evening dining out with their parents.

I don't know what the answer is to stop pubs from closing on our lovely Broads, or anywhere for that matter but I do think that barring certain groups is not the way to go.

Like unruly same sex parties, if children are misbehaving then a quiet word in parents ears should do the trick if not ask them to leave, my children know my rules and how to behave in public but I do accept that not everyone is the same and you can get just as badly behaved families as you can stag and hen groups, in my so very humble opinion, have strict policies about behaviour and stick to them, like I said above, out on your ear if you don't

Grace

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Each to their own of course, and it would be a very dull world if we all liked the same thing. But a couple of games of darts or and pool before and after a bit lunch or dinner is just dandy. It also helps the mix of the pub I think. Brings others together where otherwise they would unlikely crack up a conversation.

And after being cooped up all day with Mrs and miss wonderwall, myself and the lad quite enjoy a distraction :taunt:

The last thing the broads need is another empty pub. Although it must be hard in the winter months to say the least. I always do my best to boost their funds during my holiday. All from the goodness of my heart of course :angel:

The problem is the winter months without doubt and the holiday trade is not enough on its own. The Falgate had a regular quiz night, a darts team and a pool team but did not work. People do not drink much any more. The price of a pint in one of the reasons but so is driving - there are a lot of pubs that whilst being in a residential area are a mile or so away from some of the "locals". I hate to say it but imo the days of the drinking man's pub are, with a few exceptions, sadly gone.

4 hours ago, Gracie said:

"I won't go to a pub that doesn't welcome children" Me neither, we are one of the worst countries for this type of thing, in Spain and Italy etc kids are welcome with open arms especially in the evening dining out with their parents.

I don't know what the answer is to stop pubs from closing on our lovely Broads, or anywhere for that matter but I do think that barring certain groups is not the way to go.

Like unruly same sex parties, if children are misbehaving then a quiet word in parents ears should do the trick if not ask them to leave, my children know my rules and how to behave in public but I do accept that not everyone is the same and you can get just as badly behaved families as you can stag and hen groups, in my so very humble opinion, have strict policies about behaviour and stick to them, like I said above, out on your ear if you don't

Grace

Well said Grace, our children when they were young could be taken anywhere and I only had to look at them if I thought they were out of line.

These days however they are times when my palm itches, usually when in supermarkets or the odd pub. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

A pub is what the Landlord or Landlady make it, or more ideally both make it. When had the Dog and Pheasant in East Mersea. To call it seasonal is an understatement. The village has 80 dwellings no buses and 3-4 miles from nearest bus route. What it did have was good all round local clientel and was a village focal point, along with the church. From Easter to October the numbers in the village was swelled by the occupants of about 1000 tin boxes (caravans). Also the youth camp was host to 4 very big motor bike rallies, did the mainly all male bikers mix with the holiday makers, the tin box owners and the locals, along with families on walks. Yes they did, we did minimal food but the wet sales made us a comfortable living.

Foot and mouth hit us hard as no walkers, the tin box people could longer walk across the fields to us.  But even then we never ran at a loss.

We welcomed every one man, woman, child and every thing inbetween, no trouble did we have.

It can still be done but only really in a freehouse, all tied pubs need food food and more food greedy pubco's and brewers to an extend are the cause of the tradition wet sale based pub.

Charlie

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just picked up from their Twitter feed that the Ferry is indeed now under new management so I think we can take that as gospel. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, have been made. 

I should be there in a couple of weeks if no one is passing before then so will have a look. Might be a chance of a drop of Adnams Old cheersbar

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2015 at 8:50 AM, Gracie said:

Grace

If it's a pub that serves food then I'm quite happy with kids sitting down with their family for a meal. I'm OK with pubs that specifically cater for kids...I can't abide kids careering around the bar though pumped up on coca cola and red bull. Mind, I'm not that cheerful to see kids in supermarkets. I dread school holidays where you can't do your shopping because Tesco is more like a kindergarten than a supermarket.I just don't 'get' why parents bring their kids to supermarkets to shout at them?

A recent trip to the opticians was a nightmare as one family let their kids run around the opticians throwing glasses off the racks onto the floor. I did laugh out loud when they removed the glasses from the face of the  seven year old who promptly ran off again before they could put his new glasses on...where he ran straight into the glass window. 

Now a local landlord of mine was asked by a family if it was OK to bring their kids into the pub.
"Yes it's OK as long as it's OK with you if I ding 'em round the ear if they don't sit still?" was the reply.
Those kids were as good as gold...although they did look wide eyed at the landlord when he approached the table to bring them some free bags of crisps...just in case a 'ding' was in the offing.

• Like 8

Then, don't go to Tesco's in the school holidays lol. Seriously, I do get where you're coming from about kids being allowed to run amok in shops and pubs etc, I also cringe when I see this type of thing, I'm lucky in that either it be we are good parents or our kids are just good kids but we never have that problem, they know how to behave and what to expect if they don't. We have also experienced totally rude and obnoxious older people who seem to think they can talk to you or your kids how they please because they are older, in fact, once, an elderly person on a mobility scooter nearly knocked my youngest over because they got a tad irate for not being able to get past, they were told to have sex and travel in no uncertain terms, I can tell you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you will always get unruly people of all ages and walks of life but because we don't like or agree with their way of life that doesn't give us the right to ban them, like I said in a post before, give every one a chance but if they misbehave and can't respect other people, then off on your merry way lol

Sorry if I have gone on a bit of a rant but I've had half a bottle of Prosecco, very nice it was too, hic :naughty:

Grace

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Timbo said:

If it's a pub that serves food then I'm quite happy with kids sitting down with their family for a meal. I'm OK with pubs that specifically cater for kids...I can't abide kids careering around the bar though pumped up on coca cola and red bull. Mind, I'm not that cheerful to see kids in supermarkets. I dread school holidays where you can't do your shopping because Tesco is more like a kindergarten than a supermarket.I just don't 'get' why parents bring their kids to supermarkets to shout at them?

A recent trip to the opticians was a nightmare as one family let their kids run around the opticians throwing glasses off the racks onto the floor. I did laugh out loud when they removed the glasses from the face of the  seven year old who promptly ran off again before they could put his new glasses on...where he ran straight into the glass window. 

Now a local landlord of mine was asked by a family if it was OK to bring their kids into the pub.
"Yes it's OK as long as it's OK with you if I ding 'em round the ear if they don't sit still?" was the reply.
Those kids were as good as gold...although they did look wide eyed at the landlord when he approached the table to bring them some free bags of crisps...just in case a 'ding' was in the offing.

A now deceased relation of mine would only shop in Waitrose. To quote " Because you get a better class of screaming Brat"

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Timbo said:

If it's a pub that serves food then I'm quite happy with kids sitting down with their family for a meal. I'm OK with pubs that specifically cater for kids...I can't abide kids careering around the bar though pumped up on coca cola and red bull. Mind,

Dont blame the kids blame the parents for not bringing them up the right way. Remember kids from a very young age are moulded by there parents long before school age.

When we had our pubs kids were always welcomed if they were under control. Only once did we have to tell a family to leave and they had a teenager with them that was rude, aggressive and way out of control.

This said from a grumpy 64 year old and 364 days old fart.... think i'll just miss tomorrow outa the year lol

Charlie

• Like 4

Supermarkets would find it very hard to ban children and you can hardly expect them too, pubs, clubs, holidays are a different matter. I have 3 children (grown up) and 4 grandchildren (also Grown up) but during their early years we would look for children friendly pubs and holidays, now we look for adult only locations. No I don't hate children but just exercise my right to choose, and that is the important thing "choice."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Dont blame the kids blame the parents for not bringing them up the right way. Remember kids from a very young age are moulded by there parents long before school age.

When we had our pubs kids were always welcomed if they were under control. Only once did we have to tell a family to leave and they had a teenager with them that was rude, aggressive and way out of control.

This said from a grumpy 64 year old and 364 days old fart.... think i'll just miss tomorrow outa the year lol

Charlie

Many happy returns Charlie!

I suppose in the supermarket I'm just a big a menace when I have my granddaughter in tow. I'm the one scooting her up and down the aisles in the trolley to the accompaniment of childish laughter...and Gracie laughs sometimes too. 

• Like 1