Royalls

NonTecky

End of an era indeed. Vey sad,. Quality yard in every respect. Swancraft, now Royalls, not to mention Alphacraft. Looks like the days of the small boatyard with personal service are rapidly disappearing. How long tiil we are left with the Big Four? Or three heaven forbid. I just hope Bridgecraft don't get any ideas. :cry:

• Like 1

I've also just seen this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the site and the fleet. I'd love to see the site stay as a boatyard, and for it to continue to operate as a hire fleet. Whether it's possible for a buyer to do that, I don't know.

I'd love to have the opportunity to find out, but I don't have the resources to consider making an offer, and I'm not sure it'd be profitable enough for me to be able to offer any backer enough of a return on their investment.

Very sad news.

We only hired from them twice (preferring south) but they were the first we hired from and hold them responsible for now owning a money hole (boat).

If the first hire we had was not as good as it was, we would not have come back to the Broads, thus would have been both richer and poorer.

It is worrying when one of the top yards decide to stop hiring leaving more room for the big boys.

paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, teadaemon said:

I've also just seen this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the site and the fleet. I'd love to see the site stay as a boatyard, and for it to continue to operate as a hire fleet. Whether it's possible for a buyer to do that, I don't know.

I'd love to have the opportunity to find out, but I don't have the resources to consider making an offer, and I'm not sure it'd be profitable enough for me to be able to offer any backer enough of a return on their investment.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dan. I don't think you would get a return, certainly not enough for current expectations. My guess (sadly) is that the fleet will end up with Richardsons and the land will become yet more executive apartments. Very sad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dan. I don't think you would get a return, certainly not enough for current expectations. My guess (sadly) is that the fleet will end up with Richardsons and the land will become yet more executive apartments. Very sad.

The only thing that might keep the yard as a working boatyard is the Broads Authority's attitude to change of use for boatyards, but even then I think it would take an investor who was prepared to invest for the good of the local economy more than their own pocket in order to make it work.

A pity really, as running a decent hire yard is just about my dream job, and Royalls are about as close to the best yard on the Broads as it's possible to get.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

There have to be easier ways of making a living, let alone money, rather than running a relatively small, bespoke, quality Broads hire yard. 

Yes, there are definitely easier ways of earning money.

However, I've got ethics, so I decided not to become an arms dealer, and a relatively low boredom threshold, so I ignored my dad's advice to become an accountant or an insurance broker. Instead I'm really, really geeky about boats, and really enjoy enabling people to enjoy the Broads from a boat as much as I do. I'm probably destined to die overworked and broke, but so be it.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, teadaemon said:

The only thing that might keep the yard as a working boatyard is the Broads Authority's attitude to change of use for boatyards, but even then I think it would take an investor who was prepared to invest for the good of the local economy more than their own pocket in order to make it work.

A pity really, as running a decent hire yard is just about my dream job, and Royalls are about as close to the best yard on the Broads as it's possible to get.

Well if you wanted a business partner.........

• Like 2

Devastating news and a great blow to the Broads if not a total shock. You only have to pop onto Hoseasons web page and  look at their booking record to see how people judge quality. One of the few yards from which a  boat at the end of the season will look the same as one at the beginning. In 2015 we had five such yards, only to lose Swancraft and it looks that by 2018 (if no one else stops hiring) we will be down to three.

Good luck to the family in the future and top marks for announcing the news now, I'm sure 2017 will be a very emotional season for them and their customers.

Fred

• Like 3

I think they've been very smart in announcing this themselves now. Stops anyone speculating later in the season about the state of the business. And gives everyone fair warning if they've seen their boats out and ever thought about hiring from them. Let's hope this makes 2016 and 2017 amongst their best ever seasons for bookings.

• Like 6

Now there's an offer from Mark you can't refuse, Teadaemon. How great would that be if these two were to take it on, discounts for Forumites and all sorts lol. When I look at Boats to hire and find one I really like, it kind of gets in and I am not happy until I've hired it and got it out of my system, this happened with Royall Commander, we tried to hire her many times but she was always booked up solid through the summer. If you guys take it on can I have first pick please?:naughty:

Seriously, it is so sad to see another hire yard go, like all of us probably feel, how tragic it would be to see a horrible modern day block of posh flats instead of a lovely little place with a small fleet of Boats.

Whenever we have had dealings with them, whether it be on the phone or allowing us to look round their Boats they have always been friendly and polite, I wish them all the very best for the future

Grace

• Like 6

Back in the day when we kept Springsong at Geo Smith & sons we used to go to Royalls for petrol and a dose of Alan's great dry wit. We then moved mooring to the back of Alan's house on the main river. We hired once from them in 2003 a great very comfortable well maintained and clean boat. A credit to a lovely family.

• Like 2

This is desperately sad news, but inevitable. The decline of the smaller operator has not abated in a decade and there are so few left now. Royalls has a real place in history and the loss of this family business and, liklely, the yard, is a blow to the industry. But, that all said, Royalls will have left its mark on the Broads and it must be heartening for the family to read all the words of praise and support that are appearing in response to this news.

The land values in Hoveton are likely to ensure that this boatyard will fall into the hands of a very wealthy company or family. If the boats remain in hire, it is likely they will be run by another operator as I doubt that any smaller operator would be in any position to be able to afford to fund it. 

• Like 1

Never used Royalls ourselves but the boats always looked immaculate. It's sad to see another small boat yard go.

All credit to Royalls for letting their customers know well in advance and for stopping the rumour mill before it even starts.

Our good wishes to the family.

• Like 2

Very sad news indeed. Let's not forget what excellent boat builders and designers they were too. Our Royal Tudor a testament to that, a big boat packed into 31ft. More determined than ever to get her back onto the water asap.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

This is desperately sad news, but inevitable. The decline of the smaller operator has not abated in a decade and there are so few left now. Royalls has a real place in history and the loss of this family business and, liklely, the yard, is a blow to the industry. But, that all said, Royalls will have left its mark on the Broads and it must be heartening for the family to read all the words of praise and support that are appearing in response to this news.

The land values in Hoveton are likely to ensure that this boatyard will fall into the hands of a very wealthy company or family. If the boats remain in hire, it is likely they will be run by another operator as I doubt that any smaller operator would be in any position to be able to afford to fund it. 

With this in mind, is there any interest in increasing the Freedom fleet by a boat or two Andy?. For sure the boats will be in really good condition having been operated by a yard such as Royalls, so probably not in any urgent need of refurbishment?.

I rather suspect that potential buyers will already have put in their offers for the boats. Either loyal hirers or one of the big yards. I do know that some of the smaller, quality yards of the past maintained a list of prospective new owners. Hampton Boats, for example, always had a healthy waiting list, such was his reputation.