Sunrise From Richardson's Was Stuck Under Wroxham Bridge This Afternoon

ranworthbreeze

And what do other fellow hirers think, do you think that a big old yellow sign would stop us? There are thousands of us on the Broads every year, most of us respectful of other river users and will do our very best to not hit bridges, other boats or get stuck on the muds. You will obviously get the odd Boater (In whatever form of river craft) will come along and make a genuine mistake for whatever reason, wind, tide etc, then you will get the odd Boater who will come along like a bat out of hell who thinks he knows everything (notice I said HE :naughty:) and will carry on regardless of any sign or respect for any other river users.

I have been boating both little girl and grown woman on the Broads for 25 years and like thousands of other people have never hit a bridge or another Boat. If or when I get a chance to be afloat in the future, perhaps we will get into difficulties or make a mistake, it happens to the best of us, but it most definitely wouldn't be through carelessness  or plain disregard. If it can happen to a bridge Pilot, it can happen to anyone. Not to say we have never made a mistake, now that would be an untrue statement, you know the sort of thing, mud weight still down after cruising off, items lost overboard, nearly gone overboard a couple of times, cruising too close to moored craft but I like to think we are decent human beings who are not complete morons and can make the odd mistake

Let's hope we are in for a great summer and here's to safe and happy cruising for everyone cheers

Grace

• Like 8

What they need is a big sign in hire boats and a clause in the contract, saying that any damage caused by the hirer going under bridges will have to payed for by the hirer, there's enough info telling them they must only use the pilots so no excuse in my book,,

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mowjo said:

What they need is a big sign in hire boats and a clause in the contract, saying that any damage caused by the hirer going under bridges will have to payed for by the hirer, there's enough info telling them they must only use the pilots so no excuse in my book,,

Probably a fair few private boats as well, as not just hirers get stuck under bridges as youtube shows....

• Like 3

Here I go again...

So here is a photo of Wroxham Bridge – notice the ‘caution sign’ that is on the actual bridge and has no less than four instructions for you to take notice of.

wroxham-bridge-view.jpg

Seriously, can anyone say that upon approach to the bridge you would have time to read this sign and take notice of what it is saying, and moreover take action on something you have not done (like lower the screen) in time? I say not.

At the bridge a far more simple ‘caution’ sign can be used. 

wroxham-bridge-view 2.jpg

This information should be placed well before the bridge – the best sight would be at the advance height gauge downstream. 

wroxham advance .jpg

It needs to attach your attention – and I am no expert in this area, but surely using standard UK road sign layouts would work, the typeface and spacing has been well researched as a ‘friendly easy to read’ typeface and the advance warning sign can provide this extra information (along with the current height under the bridge.)

This is just what I have put together in five minutes – but you see the idea, standardised singage across the Broads, simple clear caution signagage at bridges.

Look at Ludham Bridge – different type of sign, typeface and instructions.

ludhambridge.jpg

Your find a different type at Yarmouth, another at St. Olaves and so on. None of them stand out, all of them are proving far too much information on a sign at the bridge itself and it is my belief that new hirers would benefit from clearer signs at Bridges (and on their approach) and the mish-mash of current signs that have been put up over the years be changed for ones of the same design and thought is taken to what they actually are trying to convey.

• Like 6

It should be taken into consideration  that when folk are on holiday in a hired boat they don't necessarily behave as they would when at home. We were sideswiped by a very long hire boat at straceys windmill one afternoon caused by a purely gung-ho attitude. When we made our displeasure known. the response was " but we're on  holiday"  Also, I 'm sure that some  inexperienced boaters think that  it's unthinkable that a bridge would be too low to pass under. They seem to approach using rivers with much less attention to detail than they do on the road. The fact that rules and regulations must be adhered to is taken with a pinch of salt and some of them  behave as if boating is a contact sport. There's a big difference of attitude between experienced hirers and first timers.  When we 've had hire boats moor next to us with lots of care and consideration and concern for our  boat they always turn out to be regular  hirers. The difference is very noticeable. Some of the hire boats are enormous and must present a real challenge. I must admit sometimes I very much admire the skill displayed in bringing them in  with the minimum of gadgetry to assist, unlike me with thrusters each end and a remote control to work them! We invariably go to help a boat coming in next to us and we're always honest enough to admit it's as much for our benefit as for theirs

• Like 2

Robin you  keep banging on and on about this matter. On and on.

Do you know what, you are absolutely right.

Bridgeritis  seems to effect a large number of people. What we witness and have record of are those who hit the things or get wedged underneath. What about those who do just make it and are oblivious as to how near they have been to a serious incident. Quite a few I suspect.

They seem to have this mindset  that having been told where they can go in their boat that it follows that height restriction does not apply to them, otherwise they would have been told not to go there surely!

Obviously that is not the case which is why Robins suggestion for all bridge signs to conform to a certain and defined standard be implemented  soon as possible.

Andrew

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, addicted said:

The fact that rules and regulations must be adhered to is taken with a pinch of salt and some of them  behave as if boating is a contact sport. There's a big difference of attitude between experienced hirers and first timers.

Why keep on at hirers, i have meet private boats with crews of the same attitude..... Why also say there is a difference between the attitude of  experienced hirers and first timers. What makes you think first time hirers have the attitude?    Before you ask yes I'm an owner the boat we own now is our third, and weve becoming over 42 years, my wife longer....

Charlie

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bound2Please said:

Why keep on at hirers, i have meet private boats with crews of the same attitude..... Why also say there is a difference between the attitude of  experienced hirers and first timers. What makes you think first time hirers have the attitude?    Before you ask yes I'm an owner the boat we own now is our third, and weve becoming over 42 years, my wife longer....

Charlie

it's not about" keeping on at hirers" I've never been damaged by another owned boat so can only  speak from my own experience. and obviously there must be far more first timers on hire boats than owned boats And maybe attitude is the wrong word and approach a better one.

Regards,

Carole

12 hours ago, Gracie said:

I have been boating both little girl and grown woman on the Broads for 25 years and like thousands of other people have never hit a bridge or another Boat. If or when I get a chance to be afloat in the future, perhaps we will get into difficulties or make a mistake, it happens to the best of us, but it most definitely wouldn't be through carelessness  or plain disregard. If it can happen to a bridge Pilot, it can happen to anyone. Not to say we have never made a mistake, now that would be an untrue statement, you know the sort of thing, mud weight still down after cruising off, items lost overboard, nearly gone overboard a couple of times, cruising too close to moored craft but I like to think we are decent human beings who are not complete morons and can make the odd mistake

Like grace, I've been boating for erm 15 years (ouch that long).. Our first trip out, I almost t-boned the reedham ferry, moored with the current at reedham, jumped off holding only the bow line (thanks again to the chap.. didn't catch your name , who saved the day and tied it up), then crashed into most moorings (before I learnt what reverse is..not that helps all the time).. turned at great yarmouth with the tide behind us and side swiped most boats (This was 15 years ago).. next left the lines too tight at oulton so had to cut them or miss handover day.. oh fell asleep at the helm and kinda went into the bank.. (more than once ..).. subsequent years, erm smashed a few windows, hit st olaves bridge (just gently - shouldn't have stopped at the pub)...

Mistakes happen even to absolute experts like me and Grace... :angel:

(P.s if my insurance company reads this.. some events may be fictional and dramatised).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Like grace, I've been boating for erm 15 years (ouch that long).. Our first trip out, I almost t-boned the reedham ferry, moored with the current at reedham, jumped off holding only the bow line (thanks again to the chap.. didn't catch your name , who saved the day and tied it up), then crashed into most moorings (before I learnt what reverse is..not that helps all the time).. turned at great yarmouth with the tide behind us and side swiped most boats (This was 15 years ago).. next left the lines too tight at oulton so had to cut them or miss handover day.. oh fell asleep at the helm and kinda went into the bank.. (more than once ..).. subsequent years, erm smashed a few windows, hit st olaves bridge (just gently - shouldn't have stopped at the pub)...

Mistakes happen even to absolute experts like me and Grace... :angel:

(P.s if my insurance company reads this.. some events may be fictional and dramatised).

You must be a riot Alan on the M25 !!! :naughty::naughty:

• Like 2

Hmmm, wonder how anyone can fall asleep at the helm and hit the bank :wasted::naughty: Do you know I had to phone Jaws when he was driving home the other day to tell him to be careful as I heard on the news that someone was driving the wrong way down the motorway. he answered "I know, there are hundreds of em" :naughty:

Grace

• Like 10