My Day

LizG

my day has been rather tiring, first shopping then a trip out on the new electric bike, first trip to halfords to get a gel saddle cover, the ride i did yesterday proved i needed something softer. that trip then proceeded to Fordwich and back home along the route 1 national cycleway, that trip 6 miles.

then some housework at home, and at 4pm I decided I needed a second trip today, so headed out up to the university where it becomes the crab and winkle way, got to the university and then headed home again, 4 more miles, so thats 10 miles covered today in total, considering how unfit I am thats a minor miracle, only possible with an E-bike, that 10 miles was achieved without dropping a bar on the battery so the 4 mile round trip this evening was achieved in just 39 minutes, just because its an ebike, doesnt mean that i am not going to get fit, I am achieving that half hour of harder breathing quite easily, the bike has 5 pedal assist levels and I find 3 quite comfortable most of the time, only using 4 or 5 on steep hills.

the Aim is to get some longer rides in and improve my fitness, though all i want to do right now is fall asleep- still it is only day 2. half the time just pedalling on the flat and downhill, the motors not even cutting in.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

my day has been rather tiring, first shopping then a trip out on the new electric bike, first trip to halfords to get a gel saddle cover, the ride i did yesterday proved i needed something softer. that trip then proceeded to Fordwich and back home along the route 1 national cycleway, that trip 6 miles.

then some housework at home, and at 4pm I decided I needed a second trip today, so headed out up to the university where it becomes the crab and winkle way, got to the university and then headed home again, 4 more miles, so thats 10 miles covered today in total, considering how unfit I am thats a minor miracle, only possible with an E-bike, that 10 miles was achieved without dropping a bar on the battery so the 4 mile round trip this evening was achieved in just 39 minutes, just because its an ebike, doesnt mean that i am not going to get fit, I am achieving that half hour of harder breathing quite easily, the bike has 5 pedal assist levels and I find 3 quite comfortable most of the time, only using 4 or 5 on steep hills.

the Aim is to get some longer rides in and improve my fitness, though all i want to do right now is fall asleep- still it is only day 2. half the time just pedalling on the flat and downhill, the motors not even cutting 

Keep going Grendel it will become a Doddle. When we could afford to moor at Ranworth pedal powered canoes turned up with very cheerful peddlers aboard. It will save a Fortune in fuel and carbohydrates will be acceptable to carry on with your journey. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Had a nice lunch,Lacon Arms Hemsby. Very nice lunch. Food very good.Then saw the damage  done by wind and rain.Instore Lifeboat off station  at present. 

As soon as they try to fix it the weather has other ideas. I hope the have ‘a cunning plan’ but even more hopefully, one more effective than a Baldrick one. 

Look at Happisburgh to see what the future holds for Hemsby and Winterton Ian. There are lots of committees and consultations and plans, no shortage of worthy investigations.. in fact the only thing in short supply is money.

So the platitudes and fancy names for giving up will continue until the day we are forced to pay to demolish our own houses and are relocated like internal refugees.

• Like 1

Ian, It does but it won't get it I'm afraid, those figures are largely sums that will be spent elsewhere along the coast. Money will be found for GY the rest will keep get bandaids and temporary fixes, in other words Managed Retreat, there was some hope in a policy of Hold The Line but that isn't going to happen.

6 hours ago, Ray said:

Ian, It does but it won't get it I'm afraid, those figures are largely sums that will be spent elsewhere along the coast. Money will be found for GY the rest will keep get bandaids and temporary fixes, in other words Managed Retreat, there was some hope in a policy of Hold The Line but that isn't going to happen.

GY has the population density to warrant spending money on the sea defenses, sadly most of the North Norfolk coast is to sparsely populated for what are very expensive works. Take a look at Canvey further South. It is costing 75 million pound and two years just to make good a two mile stretch of sea wall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meantime said:

GY has the population density to warrant spending money on the sea defenses, sadly most of the North Norfolk coast is to sparsely populated for what are very expensive works. Take a look at Canvey further South. It is costing 75 million pound and two years just to make good a two mile stretch of sea wall.

Isn’t it amazing that multiple billions of pounds have been spent on building ‘smart’ motorways, that most sensible people could see was a flawed idea in the first place.  Far too many billions of pounds have been found to build a massive vanity project, that most of us live too far from to gain any benefit from, in the form of HS2, yet preserving our coastline and saving the homes of folk living in coastal villages, is deemed not worth the cost.

• Like 13

well I am getting better at this cycling lark, yesterday rain stopped play (the sun came out briefly to stick its tongue out at me around 7.30pm) but after work today it was hop on the bike, head across town on the cycle paths, and back roads, and out towards Ashford on cycle route 18, I made it nearly as far as chartham and then returned, a lovely cycle alongside the river. and just near home I had dismounted to cross the main road, crossed the first half, and spotted a car coming round the roundabout just as I started to cross the second half, when with a shout and squeal of brakes another cyclist only just stopped- why he was cycling the wrong way up a main road was something I cant answer, I was watching the direction traffic should have been coming, and was a pedestrian (pushing a bike) across a legitimate crossing, so not my fault i deem. (I then promptly fell over trying to get back on the bike as there was a dip right where my foot was).

All in all for me to be cycling the distances i am (i have totalled 21.6 miles in 4 rides, today was 7.6 miles) is quite remarkable as i normally get out of breath at a normal walking pace.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

" why he was cycling the wrong way up a main road was something I cant answer, "

Because he is one of the new breed of cyclists who believes the highway code only applies to others and that everyone should give way to him at all times regardless of what he is doing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

" why he was cycling the wrong way up a main road was something I cant answer, "

Because he is one of the new breed of cyclists who believes the highway code only applies to others and that everyone should give way to him at all times regardless of what he is doing.

That's a very eloquent way of saying "Tw*t".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Meantime said:

True however  from Scatby  to Neuport These villages brings in over 150 Million  pounds each year.If which sadly may happen and the sea breaks through that money will be lost.Of course this is a massive problem all along the east coast. 

11 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Isn’t it amazing that multiple billions of pounds have been spent on building ‘smart’ motorways, that most sensible people could see was a flawed idea in the first place.  Far too many billions of pounds have been found to build a massive vanity project, that most of us live too far from to gain any benefit from, in the form of HS2, yet preserving our coastline and saving the homes of folk living in coastal villages, is deemed not worth the cost.

Head a off banging brick your wall .

're-arrange these words to reveal an apt saying 😋. It may also help with the frustration. 😉

22 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Head a off banging brick your wall .

're-arrange these words to reveal an apt saying 😋. It may also help with the frustration. 😉

Sadly, HS2 has gone too far to be stopped.  Thousands of acres of land have been turned over to develop a railway to speed the journey between London and Birmingham by a few minutes.  Maybe, a few years ago, this could have been something for the country to be proud of, but based on current estimates, it won’t be finished into its terminus in central London until 2041.  When many other countries already have high speed railways, once again were a bit late to the party.

There are so many better ways that in excess of 100 billion pounds could have been spent to benefit a much larger proportion of the population, it really does grind my gears.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Sadly, HS2 has gone too far to be stopped.  Thousands of acres of land have been turned over to develop a railway to speed the journey between London and Birmingham by a few minutes.  Maybe, a few years ago, this could have been something for the country to be proud of, but based on current estimates, it won’t be finished into its terminus in central London until 2041.  When many other countries already have high speed railways, once again were a bit late to the party.

There are so many better ways that in excess of 100 billion pounds could have been spent to benefit a much larger proportion of the population, it really does grind my gears.

I would love to comment further on the matter and give my views , but I suspect that would contravene the tos on here , so better not .

Needless to say , I agree it is a very expensive vanity project.

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

True however  from Scatby  to Neuport These villages brings in over 150 Million  pounds each year.If which sadly may happen and the sea breaks through that money will be lost.Of course this is a massive problem all along the east coast. 

sadly even Canute 0ver 1000 years ago could not stop the tide coming in and eroding the coast, there is enormous power in the action of the sea, any defences no matter the cost would only delay the inevitable, it would literally be a case of throwing money into the sea, and even if they did manage to stop erosion at one location, it would just shift the problem to somewhere else.

• Like 4

The defences between waxham and Eccles seem to be doing their job.

image.png.834025d807939e10f54121326eb347e0.png

Happisburgh would have had them if it weren't for objectors.

I'm surprised it wasn't carried on further south, as the section from Waxham to winterton is equally low lying.

• Like 1