My Day

LizG

5 hours ago, gancanny said:

i very rarely use the kings lynn newark route these days

Can't say I blame you. Apart from a few seconds interest at Fosdyke Yacht Haven, the A17 across to Boston area is one of the most tedious roads I've ever driven.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gancanny said:

today i left brundall at 12 noon,  i used the A11, A14 then onto the A1 north, stopped at grantham services for food and loo and arrived in bishop auckland at 4.30pm,  i very rarely use the kings lynn newark route these days

wow - that's good going :default_eusa_dance:

Wasted a day of good weather yesterday, due to a pre-booked trip with the wife, to Milton Keynes.  The time has come for me to start decorating our living room - a job I’ve been putting off for a few weeks, but really do need to crack on and get it done, so a visit to IKEA to organise some furniture was needed.  Whilst in MK, we went to another furniture retailer to order two new sofas, so not a wasted day, but a waste of some unseasonably warm, sunny weather.

I rewarded myself with a trip out on the bike today and headed for Ranworth.  I fancied a decent coffee at The Granary, watching the comings and goings on the broad.  It was not to be, sadly - their coffee machine was out of order, so my plan dashed.  I knew that the cafe at Acle Bridge was closed for the winter, so headed for Potter instead.  A bag of chips from Nippy Chippy appealed, but they were closed when I arrived.  A sign in the window said they were reopening on 12th October.

I did consider stopping in Hoveton, but the traffic was horrendous, with roadworks on Norwich Road causing huge issues in both directions.  Fortunately, being on a bike, I was able to filter through, saving a lot of time.

Oh and my quest for a cup of coffee ended at the Golden Arches at Thickthorn Roundabout.  The coffee wasn’t of the required standard, but my ride in the autumn sunshine was a real treat.

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

• Like 5

Shame about not getting that coffee at Ranworth. As for the traffic in Wroxham and Hoveton today, it wasn’t just the start of the roadworks. There was a broken down bus early this morning somewhere between the vets and Roys garage as best as I know. That caused really long queues to build up from the start of the day. 

• Like 2

It’s not often that we find ourselves stepping up onto the bathing platform on the southern rivers, yet with over two hours until high tide at Bramerton Common, this is the river level.

IMG_1133.thumb.jpeg.fda0cd2643eb202895afd00712fda891.jpeg

Its cool, especially in the wind, but otherwise a lovely day, especially considering the torrential downpours last night.

IMG_1129.thumb.jpeg.314e4c6c08f3cb6d82d19275e7c1af8e.jpeg

IMG_1131.thumb.jpeg.da507b77633fec4b9cbb1617bd224437.jpeg

• Like 9

An unusual day today. I had a black tie dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel last night and made my way out of London to Bishops Stortford where I have an apartment close to my office. However, knowing I wouldn’t be able to sleep I decided to travel to Mystic Lady at Cove, arriving at about 1.30am this morning. Fired up the heating and within 20 minutes all was toasty. I woke at just after 7 and after making sure all was sound, left for home, arriving back in Mansfield just after 10.30am.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to step up onto the bathing platform like last night…

19 minutes ago, NeilB said:

I have next week off so was going to head south Saturday or Sunday, may leave it a couple of days now to the levels to settle.

Looking at the weather, the wind direction isn’t forecast to change until Tuesday, so the river levels could increase yet.  Just seen a post on FB stating that clearance at Ludham Bridge is just over 7ft (indicated)  and the concrete sills are underwater, backed up with a photo.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

the concrete sills are underwater, backed up with a photo.

They were about 2 to 3" underwater when I went through and the tide was still rising.  Bridge height at Yarmouth is 8ft at the moment with only an hour left to low water - thanks to project Troll for the info.

Well, you may have been having very high tides, and flooding on the Broads. I’ve had wall to wall sunshine for a few days and today got snowed on!

I’m in Poland visiting my sister. Krakow has had superb weather over the weekend.

BB5B00EB-AF42-4721-8298-C3B8048BD317.thumb.jpeg.75ef85c1845d0ed24bfd0cb794df1003.jpeg

5BF698AD-509F-47B3-91A2-64DB002E25A5.thumb.jpeg.56e989b1c71dda3daca515a79354dbba.jpeg

Big river through Krakow, the Vistula, but not one boat other than a few tour boats. No moorings, no marinas. Very odd. 

Now, we’re right down in the south east of Poland in a national park with an unpronounceable name. We completed a 9 mile walk akin to the Lake District on steroids, walking to a couple of peaks of nearly 1400m amid lots of snow showers. With quite a wind chill.
54FAEF31-870F-45F2-BDD7-7AB2FA951C3A.thumb.jpeg.69e425fd029c1ec22e2d96fc5695772a.jpeg

CB505266-0416-4AF8-87AE-3819A94683BF.thumb.jpeg.3ae12cc48d93bcc46137c70cfa381660.jpeg

A808F7CE-CD0B-47CA-B85B-94E4A12E4333.thumb.jpeg.edd32073ae284415fafd209c834cc6a7.jpeg

72CE5FCF-7B1F-4FDC-8C4E-2898D6BBC718.thumb.jpeg.f14f41273bced68d33e3b44ae1d6770e.jpeg

Somewhat different to my recent walks from the boat, totally flat, but I was pleased with my aerobic fitness level all the same. 
And Talkmobile thought I’d gone over the border, sending me this text - 
“Welcome to UKRAINE. You can use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data at no extra cost”

It made me realise just how far from home I am. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Wow, that's amazing Kate. I've always wanted to visit Poland.

We are up in Anglesey. Unfortunately not enjoying the walking etc. I spent most of today trying to defrost Graham's Dad's freezer aided by a hammer and chisel. That's a first, but I thought drastic action was required as the amount of ice build up was almost preventing the door being closed. He relies on delivered frozen meals quite heavily, so that was a priority.

PXL_20231018_100515330.thumb.jpg.c8d75da17fcad179cf94cf105e424372.jpg

Back on my mooring after an early and quite choppy crossing of Breydon.  Winter covers on and buttoned up tight as the wind and rain is really hammering down now, looking at the forecast the rest of my week off will be spent doing various jobs on the boat rather than cruising anywhere.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

spent most of today trying to defrost Graham's Dad's freezer aided by a hammer and chisel. That's a first, but I thought drastic action was required as the amount of ice build up was almost preventing the door being closed. He relies on delivered frozen meals quite heavily, so that was a priority.

Looks like the door either isn’t sealing properly, or has been left ajar one too many times. 
I sometimes come back from my trips to the boat and have to quiz Tony about his use of the freezer, for similar reasons. Never as bad as that though!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Back on my mooring after an early and quite choppy crossing of Breydon.  Winter covers on and buttoned up tight as the wind and rain is really hammering down now, looking at the forecast the rest of my week off will be spent doing various jobs on the boat rather than cruising anywhere.

I saw your little video and photos Neil. Gorgeous sunrise. 

I hate it when there’s poor weather when I’m away from the boat. Reading all these weather reports puts a, most likely unnecessary, worry in my head. Roll on next week when I’m back onboard. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Wow, that's amazing Kate. I've always wanted to visit Poland.

We are up in Anglesey. Unfortunately not enjoying the walking etc. I spent most of today trying to defrost Graham's Dad's freezer aided by a hammer and chisel. That's a first, but I thought drastic action was required as the amount of ice build up was almost preventing the door being closed. He relies on delivered frozen meals quite heavily, so that was a priority.

15 hours ago, kpnut said:

Looks like the door either isn’t sealing properly, or has been left ajar one too many times. 
I sometimes come back from my trips to the boat and have to quiz Tony about his use of the freezer, for similar reasons. Never as bad as that though!

I had that a few times with our spare freezer in my workshop.

Door didn't shut properly and got a massive ice build up. Best not to use a hammer and chisel, in case you do any damage.

Put a bowl of hot water in the bottom if you can, and let the steam do some work. Then carefully use a something like a flexible filling knife to get the ice off.

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I should have added that under no circumstances should you use any tools directly on the ice. You WILL do damage that way, expensive damage at that.

Some years ago I let a mate and his girlfriend stay in our bungalow whilst we were on holiday for a couple of weeks.  On our return we noticed the freezer had been changed.  I gather his 'bird' had left the door adjar and it had iced up.  She proceeded to try and remove it with a carving knife and damaged the 'fridge to a point of no repair.  He thought he did me a favour of buying a used replacement and 'only charging me what he paid for it'!  :default_sad:

I used to clear my old freezer with an air hammer (smallish one) it did the required job and only once did i put it through the plastic at the back, that freezer has since been retired from use.

failing that just put a bowl of hot water in the bottom and let it melt out, you will need to keep refreshing the hot water.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I understand a hair dryer is the best thing for the job. It takes time but does no damage. 

As I have neither hair, nor anything to dry my lack of it with, I can only pass this on as hearsay. 

When you say hairdryer I assume you mean like mine, how is that going to defrost a freezer?

shopping.jpeg.d30002b6e855cce589c8fdff46cf9988.jpeg

• Haha 3