Boats Far From Home

I saw a pic of this in the Leeds Canal basin months ago and I found it last week moored at the side of the Royal Armouries in the Dock on the river now called Leeds Dock (formerly New Dock and previously Clarence Dock (renamed it when they built high rise apartments around it!!)) WHY????
5a9322e233960_N801a.thumb.JPG.3e9ccbfc1ab8cc59c9b13fd10c0e5456.JPG
5a9322ef0dca2_N801b.thumb.JPG.16e5b3f71e274022accd80f1bef40592.JPG
Saw this go through Skipton a few months ago, wasn't quick enough with the camera, but with a name like Beccles unmistakably from the broads

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

What a cracking condition Calypso

Thanks,  I do try and keep on top of things.

A few years ago I laid a teak wood flooring from B and Q in the main cabin, some questioned the wisdom and said it wasn't suitable for marine use.

It has performed well and looks the part. 20180407_124126.thumb.jpg.f32afc626cdb37970b54dc9910369e3c.jpg

• Like 2

Teak and laminate flooring can be surprisingly tough.

AC5 standard can take being in the entrance to a shop, where it will get wet with rain, be washed down with a mop and bucket or industrial floor scrubber. Have thousands of feet with high heels hitting it and show no wear for many years..

Our boats are nothing compared to that...

• Like 1

On 05/05/2017 at 21:04, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Trevor, this is one of the old Aston Vega class, built in 69. I said above, we hired one of the sister ships in the Vega class, the Aston Orion in 1970.  

Saw this at Barnby dun South Yorkshire last Thursday

• Like 1

I have no doubt that for all practical reasons it's a winner and that those supporters of modern lines and innovation will sing it's praises. That it would have all the required mod cons goes without saying and it's low wash hull and energy efficient engine is at the sharp end of ecological design.

It's just that in my book, it's pig ugly and I don't like it.   :-)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

Saw this is Brundall today, unusual design I think they are used on hire in holland/france?

A46F9927-2A6F-4A8D-B7F1-258CC1DA1441.jpeg

Yes looks like one of the Le Boat fleet. I didn't realise they were built in Brundall. It reminds me of a single decker bus and it's about as elegant. 

• Like 2

On 19/04/2018 at 23:40, psychicsurveyor said:

I see this one on the River Medway at Yalding when ever I go down to her,  which isn't often enough.

20180407_161128.jpg

We often go to Kent to see my family and friends (i came from Gravesend / Northfleet before moving to Dorset when Karen and i got together) and well up on the Mudway having moored Mistral at Upnor for a number of years. But many many years ago, a good friend of my fathers restored a boat at Allington Lock, so i know the upper Mudway well. So if you`re worried about her not getting enough use, i`l willingly volunteer to rectify the situation?.......................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I was talking to an old sailing friend yesterday evening and he had been out in the Solent on a 60s Folkboat that was home built on the Great Lakes USA. I remarked that it was interesting how boats from the Broads turn up in Spain etc.

To this he replied "Well, you have sailed one in The South of France" 

"Have I"? Says I.

"Yes, when Nick let you use his Essex Smack, that boat was built by Martham Boats"

I can't find my photos of that holiday but this is one off the Net, can anyone tell me more about Matham and these? It was a lovely boat although it did look a tad "out of place" with its tan sails against the sparkling waters of the Cote d'Azur.essex-smack-yachtmartham-de-1998-n27-smack-martham-29-20374030132056544956535350664565x.jpg.58b840b7f18c57a8126207a9a22457a6.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...