Loves And Dislikes Of Boating On The Broads

Gracie

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Then why is Griff always so keen to be on the Broads? Why do so many of his fellow Yorkshire people come to Norfolk? Why doesn't a corresponding number of Broads folk visit Yorkshire? Because the Broads is the true heaven on earth!

As I have mentioned before, Yorkshire is indeed God's county.  It's where he does nearly all his work, sending floods and plagues of midges and the like, and spending his every waking hour smiting the hordes of sinners who inhabit those parts.  Norfolk is where he likes to come for a rest.

• Like 3

Unfortunately and not a lot of people know this but GOD is in fact dyslexic and his particular form of dyslexia involves substitution. When he means to say or write Lancashire, unfortunately for him and everyone born on the right side of the penines out comes Yorkshire. Pity really only a few miles off. So near yet so far... 

:wave

Dysexia rules KO....

• Like 2

Towels and other washing!

Fiona has had Phil fit a heated towel rain into the wet room in the boat so we can dry stuff even in the depths of winter.

Pet hate1. Enormous smalls hanging from any part of any boat. We just don't need to know knickers that big even exist.

Pet hate 2. Use of keep nets and then laying them out to dry behind the boat so whole area smells like a fish mongers bin.

Pet hate 3. Fisher people who fill up the spaces between moored boats then take an age to grumpily move when asked to do so. I fish it doesn't make me grumpy what's that all about.

Pet hate 4. Used toilet paper on wild moorings. Use a bag and take it home you animals.

This is fun but better stop now and do some work...

M

• Like 4

I really dislike seeing vases of flowers on board boats It just looks inappropriate to me and also washing of any kind drying on rails or anywhere outside the boat.

Reading all the responses to this thread I,     realised there are a lot more things I dislike than I realised as reading them I find myself in complete agreement with so many of the issues raised. Does this mean I'm more intolerant than I supposed or that The Broads are not as idyllic as I believe them to be?

Carole

Carole

Edited by addicted
  • Like 1

Just now, Hockham Admiral said:

Carole, Hi.

When we spent a month or more onboard then how else could we dry our washing? Needs must I'm afraid.   :facepalm:

We love a vase of flowers onboard but the vase always goes in the sink when we are underway.   :shocked

It's all a matter of personal taste I suppose. When away for a long time (never as long as a month  I must admit, we always take a lot of clothing and to avoid doing laundering on board have been known to go and buy new underwear. 

Carole

The bit I really love about the broads is the towels and pants drying on bow rails and windows, just makes it look sooo much like a boating holiday.......

Dislike seeing household telly aerials on boats, makes them look too much like a caravan, I don't even like the omni directional thing on my own boat but I'm too lazy to take it off and I don't even have a telly on board, as for the trakvision dome thingys they look like some kind of growth that needs removing by a doctor with a very small and flexible camera.:facepalm:

• Like 3

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Minifer said:

I hate that moment after dinner, when you think, I know I will sit on the stern and stare at the moonshadow and listen to the bittern boom and all will be well with the world.  So you sit on the stern and then you hear the whine in your ear and you slap it before the little blighter bites you.  And then your leg itches so you slap that.  And then you hear that whine again, but this time it's a drone and you look up and the twilight sky is now black with swarms of mossies.  And then you look behind you and the white boat you just lent back on is covered with doofus little black flies which are now stuck due to the evening dew and you've managed to smear them all over you.  And then you hear that whine again and you think sod the bittern and go back inside!  

I love pretty much everything else...

Mozzies are one of my pet hates on the Broads. Why do the bu****s head for your ears?

I have lost count of the times I have been awoken from a lovely sleep by these little blighters landing on my ears in the middle of the night. I daren't use insect spray in my cabin as it tends to affect my chest so I have to go on a mozzie hunt with a torch and a handful of towel to squash the little blighters.

Otherwise the Broads is ok.

• Like 2

What I love most about the Broads is simply the slower pace of life. When I get home and back to work I tell people not to expect any quick decisions as my brain is still only working at 4 miles per hour. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Thingamybob,

Have you tried using Avon's 'Skin so soft' original dry oil spray. When I was planning a jaunt to Scotland last year I googled about Mozzie repeller and found several recommendations for it. I know it sounds a bit daft, but lots of people swear by it. Another recommendation is 'Smidge', not cheap but works. 

Helen

• Like 1

I use both skin so soft and Smidge. I also smoke big fat Honduran cigars, the smoke from which seems to give the little blighters a headache and makes the 'huge E-Cig' smoker under his Billow of white smoke bust a lung trying to compete.

Out of the three, Smidge is the one that I could leave home without. The other two are essentials! :naughty:

On 2017-6-20 at 3:05 PM, Hockham Admiral said:

In earlier years we might have bought paper knickers... can you still buy them?

.......... why did I ask?    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paper+knickers&oq=paper+knickers&aqs=chrome..69i57.7830j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

:facepalm:   :facepalm:   :facepalm:

On reading this I am reminded of the old trick I once heard a BBC cameraman explain. Day 1 - wear knickers as per normal. Day 2 turn knickers inside out and wear them. Day 3 turn knickers rightside out and wear them front to back. Day 4 turn knickers inside out and wear them front to back.

I can see some obvious flaws in this arrangement but he said it gave him 4 days use instead of one.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, I can only respond with...

eeeuk!

Helen

p.s. Last year on one of the Hunter's Yard boats Graham and I realised that if we used the paraffin gimble lamp rather than our battery lamps that mozzies were virtually eliminated. Bring back paraffin?

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Steve, I can only respond with...

eeeuk!

On long arid excavations, after four days, and the bog roll had run out, War and Peace had all gone and the Field Artist had lost the battle for her sketch pad, Blue Bird Toffee, the kind with the Brazil Nuts, was your best friend. You see if you let the desert's natural desiccation processes take place...Blue Bird Toffee came with a convenient little hammer. :angel:

• Like 4

19 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thingamybob,

Have you tried using Avon's 'Skin so soft' original dry oil spray. When I was planning a jaunt to Scotland last year I googled about Mozzie repeller and found several recommendations for it. I know it sounds a bit daft, but lots of people swear by it. Another recommendation is 'Smidge', not cheap but works. 

Helen

Helen:

Its not so much that I am worried about being bitten by the little blighters as I rarely get bitten by mozzies, it is more that they wake me up at night when they attack my ears. The horse flies are a different matter but they do not like being swiped with a towel, however,  they do not get into my cabin at night.

On 17/06/2017 at 8:21 AM, Gracie said:

Just recently I saw towels hanging over the bow rails and out of cabin windows on a boat recently which for some reason I loathe,  just for a bit of fun what are your pet hates and loves of boating on the Broads?..........

The hate thing for me is the towels obviously, if you can't get them dry go buy a ruddy new one :default_norty:

Grace

The shame. I even have special pegs to hold them on the bow rails.

i went out and bought micro towels today. Apparently they dry 10 times quicker. At least now they won't be pegged on the bow for so long.......

• Like 2

Dislike caused by the broads.

Boat head - Most of the day after returning home I feel like I've had a skin full and have hang over, noticed this time the dog wasn't himself either till later in the day just sat looking into space.

• Like 2