Bridge Inn, Acle - Changes To Mooring Policy

NorfolkNog

We called into the Bridge Inn during our recent holiday and had a good chat with Phil who is celebrating ten years at the helm of the pub.

One thing we did talk about was the mooring policy. Phil did ask if I could raise this on the Forum so that members are aware.

In the past Phil has been prepared to provide two reserved moorings particularly for people with mobility problems in mind. Although this did work up to a point, sadly it was starting to be abused. Like all popular places the Bridge can suffer from ‘mooring rage’ and Phil was finding that reserved notices had been ripped down and people were squabbling over moorings.

The last straw was when someone posted some very nasty comments about this on Trip Advisor. I have known Phil personally since only a week or two after he and Ness took over the Bridge ten years ago. I can safely say that he will bend over backwards to help his customers and to have nasty comments posted online which are not only unjustified but very hurtful is just not on.

Therefore with great reluctance Phil has had no option but to withdraw the reservation facility. Visitors will now note the painted over boards at the mooring. Everyone is of course still welcome to moor on a first come, first served basis.

Another point to mention is that Phil is very busy running the pub and simply does not have the time or the staff resources to ‘police’ the moorings. The only other pub that I am aware of that will reserve moorings is the New Inn. Here they have the benefit of a full time, dedicated mooring assistant in the shape of Gus who does an excellent job and is there on the spot to sort out any problems.

As I have mentioned Phil and his staff have a very ‘can do’ approach to their work which is one reason why the Bridge has achieved the status it enjoys today.

Finally I would encourage anyone who has any queries or concerns to speak to Phil personally - he is very approachable and will do anything in his power to help. Complaining later and hiding behind a key board is really not on and should not be allowed to spoil the reputation of this excellent pub.

Thank you!

• Like 14

This is similar to another shortsighted rant by a crew who complained that the new yard at acle was charging £5 a night for a mooring (refundable at the new restaurant). I always thought that us Brits are known for not complaining?!.. It seems that's long gone and we now complain about the most insignificant things.  I really do wish at times people would think a little.. the world is not all about them! 

Totally agree the Bridge is an excellent pub, BBQ chicken melt is just the best!

• Like 12

I thought £5 mooring charge at the new yard was a bit of a bargain, walking distance to the pub, water available plus they were the most helpful people ever when we stopped off for an hour, one guy came over and took care of ours ropes as we were backing in and when my wife was struggling to get up on to the quay heading two quys came rushing over to assist and said give us a shout when you return and we will help get you and the wheel chair back on board, never been able to moor at the pub moorings in the past but as we now need a stern on mooring we will always go back there in the future

• Like 7

I have never seen any free moorings at Acle, the moorings above the boatyards used to charge £4.00 per night back in 2001. The shop during the day allows stopping for use of the shop as John (HA) says but I think they also charge for overnight mooring.

The Green at Stokesby has free 24 hour mooring , outside the pub is charged.

The moorings at Stracey Mill are chargeable apart from the time using the shop. 

• Like 1

Re the loss of 'reserved moorings', HOORAY!! I know from experience that they are the cause of ill feelings and arguments and a loss of trade. For me arriving at a pub only to be confronted with what are effectively no mooring, sod off signs, makes my blood boil! If I were to manage a Broads pub again, (unlikely) I certainly wouldn't offer them. Whilst a mooring is empty, waiting for a boat that may or may not turn up, it is not earning money. Not only that, other prospective moorers are being seriously annoyed. 

• Like 4

Out of curiosity I have just trawled through a month's worth of comments on Trip Adviser  only to find just one person complaining about reserved moorings. If I believe what has been written then I really don't see the comments as nasty and if what the complainer has written is true then he/she surely had good reason to comment. 

52 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re the loss of 'reserved moorings', HOORAY!! I know from experience that they are the cause of ill feelings and arguments and a loss of trade. For me arriving at a pub only to be confronted with what are effectively no mooring, sod off signs, makes my blood boil! If I were to manage a Broads pub again, (unlikely) I certainly wouldn't offer them. Whilst a mooring is empty, waiting for a boat that may or may not turn up, it is not earning money. Not only that, other prospective moorers are being seriously annoyed. 

I agree.  Last time we were there (April) there was a reserved mooring sign up for a boat due to arrive about mid-day.  

Come about 19:00 they still hadn't arrived with people milling around looking for spaces.  

Not the pubs fault, just very rude of the people on the boat concerned.   The least they could have done was phone through to cancel.

S

Do the pubs concerned reserve spaces in their car-parks? We once sailed up to the WRC for a lunchtime pint, all reserved moorings, bar humbug, so we carried on up to Beccles. Late lunch and a few pints at the Waveney House, lovely. Sailed back past the WRC early evening, still an unoccupied 'reserved mooring' that presumably had been unoccupied all day, I really do not see the logic, from a business point of view, of loosing trade by offering reserved moorings. 

Moored at Acle many times both at the pub and upstream and across the river and we have never ever been charged once upstream or across the river. Happy to pay the pub fee and enjoy the atmosphere from atop the boat or under a shady brolley.

Fiona and I have noticed that in our opinion the food is fine but the portiions are huge and of the typical pub grub variety. For a while it did have a much smaller portion size and what I would describe as gastro pub type food. Not sure this was popular though as it soon disappeared. 

You take as you find and it's popular so thats all anyone who doesn't own it needs to know. The Bear and Bell in Beccles is an excellent establishment too that is fully dog friendly just like the bridge. Long may it continue.

And as when on holiday I'm a big kid who can't resist spending a pound on the two pence machines ...Such fun.... wooo hooo

The pirate ship is fun but i'm too old for that as Fiona told me recently.

• Like 2

The way I see it with Acle is one of the few moorings on the Broads that is a true 'travelers destination'.  In that I mean it is a welcome stopping point either that you have had a long motor up from the south and so to see the Bridge Inn is where you can finally relax and moor up and head in for a few drinks and chew the fat about a passage 'over Breydon' as if you have just turned up at the Pub after a 12 day voyage at sea. Conversely you may be preparing for your mammoth voyage south and moor here the catch the tide, be it for a few hours or to get going early the following morning.

I remember as a child mooring along the river front past Horizon Craft and being asked to pay - all above board, receipt issued sort of thing.  But in later times I have moored there and not been asked to pay (previous to the Broads Boating Co. taking over).

For a short stretch of river and a bridge, you've got an increasing number of options - from the small shop, boat hire, and Tapas to the traditional pub at the Bridge Inn so to pay to moor here seems perfectly reasonable - you might moor on the river front then head to the Bridge Inn so really how can anyone complain about £5.00 for an overnight stop is beyond me.

Phil is one of the most gracious hosts and his staff too are always very helpful, so what a shame the few have caused this change of policy and people cannot be reasonable.  Clearly when running a Pub you don't need children (sorry adult boaters) running in squabbling over mooring places outside.

However I think it is more evidence where other moorings have been lost, that were free and so people who do not wish to go to a pub and who previously would have moored somewhere for free may be miffed that they now are 'forced' to moor elsewhere that charges them. This is not the fault of the establishments, but comes back to the Broads Authority not having an ongoing strategy so far as mooring provision goes especially on the norther rivers in high season - we now have a new phrase 'mooring rage' too.  What a shame.

• Like 4

I would have thought an acceptable solution would be to have a disabled mooring, which you could use, but would have to be prepared to double moor if a disabled person arrived, so they could be moored next to the bank.

to me that is an acceptable way round it - much like the disabled seats on some trains where you are expected to relinquish the seat in favour of the disabled passenger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I do not see anything wrong in providing a reserved mooring policy, but if it was me providing this service then I would take a card payment, redeemable on arrival.

Regards

Alan 

The point is, Alan, that even with a credit card payment, the facilities that are served by the mooring are not earning money, e.g. the crew aren't in the pub. 

The other problem is, from a business point of view, is that folk reserve a mooring for Saturday night for example. Granted that they'll possibly have a meal but they'll also hog the mooring for most of the weekend thus preventing folk who actually want to use the pub from mooring. It's up to the landlord, their business, but turning passing trade away doesn't seem sensible to me.

I have moored outside a pub on the Yare for a lunchtime pint when we decided to stay for an evening meal only to be told that we will have to move our boat, only there was no where to move it to!  We have never been back. 

Perhaps a £50.00 upfront mooring fee to include payment towards an evening meal is a way forward? Whatever, I don't see an easy answer. 

• Like 2

However you cut it, there are too many boats chasing too few moorings, especially on the Northern Broads. I wonder how long it will be before someone calls for a cap on the number of boats that can be licensed/tolled in a year.

I daresay that some will hark back to the "golden days" of the 70's when boats quadruple moored in all the "hotspots", but I don't think people want to holiday like that nowadays.

cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Back then, Steve, the Broads had far more hire yards than it does today. These all provided reciprocal moorings for their clients but those days have long gone. On top of that there are many more private boats, most needing two moorings, one to go from and one to go to. Then, of course, we have a Broads Authority that, for whatever reason, is having problems negotiating with various land-owners and seemingly, if we consider Thorpe Island as an example, a reticence in providing or authorizing moorings. And there is more, the Environment Agency Flood Alleviation project has lost us several scores of moorings.  No need to cap the number of boats, just that the fleets need to be spread out across the system, not just up North.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Then, of course, we have a Broads Authority that, for whatever reason, is having problems negotiating with various land-owners and seemingly, if we consider Thorpe Island as an example, a reticence in providing or authorizing moorings. 

Is that entirely fair Peter? I agree with the first part of that sentence, but the second part? AYB was expanded significantly to provide extra moorings, Sutton boatyard have also expanded recently, as has the mooring near Thurne Mouth which has just dug out another basin. I don't think there is a reticence to authorise additional moorings if private finance wants to dig them / build them. Jenners was the subject of a covenant which rightly the local planning authority had to enforce for the benefit of people who purchased properties in good faith expecting the covenant to be complied with. Conveniently forgetting that fact doesn't equal a reticence to authorising additional moorings par se. You can keep on bashing the BA, but Carningle sold the land and entered willingly into the covenant, why not bash them?

• Like 2

If I were in the situation of having a pub with moorings I would possibly allow a mooring to be reserved with a specified arrival time limit.

If someone wanted to reserve a mooring for say 1:00 pm. then I would allow them up until say 2:00p.m and then  "unreserve" the mooring and allow it to be used by someone else.

Jeff

52 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Is that entirely fair Peter? I agree with the first part of that sentence, but the second part? AYB was expanded significantly to provide extra moorings, Sutton boatyard have also expanded recently, as has the mooring near Thurne Mouth which has just dug out another basin. I don't think there is a reticence to authorise additional moorings if private finance wants to dig them / build them. Jenners was the subject of a covenant which rightly the local planning authority had to enforce for the benefit of people who purchased properties in good faith expecting the covenant to be complied with. Conveniently forgetting that fact doesn't equal a reticence to authorising additional moorings par se. You can keep on bashing the BA, but Carningle sold the land and entered willingly into the covenant, why not bash them?

Well, actually I do think it fair. Whilst some moorings have been approved others have not.