Woman Injured At Acle

Aparantly via the EDP a elderly lady has suffered leg injuries from a boat prop , sorry I can't provide a link I'm rubbish when it comes to tecky things , I do however wish her a full and  speedy recovery from what to me is a serious incident .

Dreadful news, and once again a reminder how quickly things can go wrong when on the water. There have been some awful incidents in the last few years involving propellers I am afraid they don't take prisoners.

• Like 1

I find this story absolutely horrifying. I wonder, on picking up a boat, do hirers have it explained to them the dangers of propellers? Is it explained to them, for example, that the helmsman should never reverse up to a casualty, that an engine should be out of gear, better still turned off, when a casualty is in the water and close to the propellor? We can only guess what happened at this point but the appalling dangers of propellers needs explaining, if it isn't already. 

A few years ago I watched a BA Ranger helping a boat owner clear a rope from an outdrive propeller, he was attempting to clear the prop by hand, by unwinding the rope from the prop blades. The two engines remained running. Even those of us who should know better sometimes don't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Is it explained to them, for example, that the helmsman should never reverse up to a casualty, that an engine should be out of gear, better still turned off, when a casualty is in the water and close to the propellor?

The short answer to your question, Peter, is yes - certainly when I am doing a run and this is also how I trained my staff.

I notice the EDP (who have said nothing of any substance) have disabled any comments on their article, so for once, they are showing some sense. The only thing we really know about this at the moment is that it happened at Acle.

It may have nothing to do with what they were told by the boatyard.

Water is dangerous stuff, and boats are dangerous things on it. Boatyards have little enough time to give each hirer without going into all the possible hazards. It would certainly be lovely if they were able to do so, but as I see it, it's just impractical.

I once again find myself wondering about the production of a DVD that could be sent to each hirer when they book. It would need to be light hearted and entertaining but carrying all the messages and advice that a first timer (and even some of the more experienced hands) needs.

We would need someone like Clive to advise about the practicalities of distribution and to tell us what the most frequently asked questions are.

Lets face it, between us we have all the skills needed to produce such a video, and if it were entertaining enough people may well watch it several times.

Some of the dangers could be demonstrated by animations (unless we can get Dr Packman to demonstrate them)

It's just a thought, but one I've banged on about before in the other place.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Water is dangerous stuff, and boats are dangerous things on it. Boatyards have little enough time to give each hirer without going into all the possible hazards. It would certainly be lovely if they were able to do so, but as I see it, it's just impractical.

I once again find myself wondering about the production of a DVD that could be sent to each hirer when they book. It would need to be light hearted and entertaining but carrying all the messages and advice that a first timer (and even some of the more experienced hands) needs.

We would need someone like Clive to advise about the practicalities of distribution and to tell us what the most frequently asked questions are.

Lets face it, between us we have all the skills needed to produce such a video, and if it were entertaining enough people may well watch it several times.

Some of the dangers could be demonstrated by animations (unless we can get Dr Packman to demonstrate them)

It's just a thought, but one I've banged on about before in the other place.

'Duty of care' ?

I had two friends who were seriously injured by propellers, one fatally. Is it time a case was made for propeller guards? They may decrease performance slightly, but that's surely not a Broads issue. For £150 or so it's worth it for a life, and for the most part hirers are dealing with "amateurs" and have a burden of responsibility

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/safe-boating/look-after-yourself/equipment-for-uk-pleasure-vessels/Pages/prop-guards.aspx

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/coroner-calls-for-propeller-guards-to-prevent-deaths-2453

I was only talking with Phil on ''tis very topic last night. Apparently his staff stepped up to th mark admirably. The lady remained concious throughout. The air ambulance landed on his staff grass car park. Sadly he has now heard the lady has undergone amputation of her damaged foot.  

I didn't ask how she came to be in the water

Griff

• Sad 3

I agree that these sort of dangers should be mentioned during "handover/tuition time" at boatyards but I did not see any mention of the poor lady being on a hire boat.

I have mentioned before that years ago a guide book was sent to all hirers when the booking was confirmed . This could be read by all crew members BEFORE the holiday and any questions taken up with the boatyard.

I admire the fact that Clive has reintroduced this type of information book but there is quite a lot to read as you start your holiday (the book is on your boat when you arrive) and who is going to read it all on the first day of a holiday?

Jeff

• Like 3

Im assuming accidents like this on the Broads are relatively rare but it highlights how incredibly dangerous boating can be.  

I do hope the lady makes a good recovery,  I will be revisting our MOB procedure next time im afloat with my family.  

5 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I have mentioned before that years ago a guide book was sent to all hirers when the booking was confirmed . This could be read by all crew members BEFORE the holiday and any questions taken up with the boatyard.

They could also send something like a "planning your holiday with us" with links to video's. There's various video under "first timers" on Richo's site. Either option it's getting people to do it and how many say can you show me that again on the trial run, they wil want to be on there way.

On the trip boat we worked on it was a 3 warnings and fetch them in from the front well if they sat on the side. the side was above waist height. 1st send one of the crew to have a word, 2nd who ever was on the bar mainly me have a word with the hirer and then the body on the side explaining that if you fell over and under we wouldn't know on the back and that it was flat bottomed so could end up with the prop going down the river. 3rd fetch them in and close the door. Simples we were not taking any chances when they were drinking.

If we were going up the canal skimming the bottom they'd be a pressing in the mud with 40 ton going over them.

One of the companies on the Shannon sent out a VHS with every booking. You also had a lecture theatre presentation on your day of departure. I am probably talking 30 years ago not sure now.

One of the narrow boat hire companies we went with (about five years ago) every hirer  had to have all the crew watch a video in a very small theater after they had stowed their gear aboard. Once you had watched the video you were given a copy to keep aboard for reference during your hire. 

There was not much that was news to us being seasoned on the canals, locks and general operation of the waterways, for new crews however it must have been a godsend.

Most hire companies on the canals always have a run through of the boat, its operations and safety procedures  with the skipper and another member of the crew.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1