Do You Still Wave?

Hylander

We took some London dwelling friends out on the river recently, gave and received waves as usual. After a while one of our friends with a puzzled look on his face asked, "so, how come you know someone on every boat we have seen?" :default_biggrin:

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:29, Malanka said:

Hi Wyndham, I hope you liked the nifty reversing mooring evolution then. Was fun to show off a little the capabilities of the old lady

M

Unfortunately we missed that spectacle, you were safely berthed when we arrived. 

We nearly always wave and usually get a wave back. The only exceptions are a certain misguided type of Broom, Freeman and Saily owners, who think they are some form of minor aristocracy and are so far up themselves that they are wearing themselves like a wig.

I hope there is a special hell for such people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We nearly always wave and usually get a wave back. The only exceptions are a certain misguided type of Broom, Freeman and Saily owners, who think they are some form of minor aristocracy and are so far up themselves that they are wearing themselves like a wig.

I hope there is a special hell for such people.

Makes me glad that the Broom Owners Club deemed my Ocean 30 unfit to join them then 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/10/2017 at 18:09, 40something said:

We took some London dwelling friends out on the river recently, gave and received waves as usual. After a while one of our friends with a puzzled look on his face asked, "so, how come you know someone on every boat we have seen?" :default_biggrin:

I know what you mean.Some years back our Scotich friends would visit us.At that time I used to have a dog and smoked.Used to walk the dog to the shops to get papers etc.My friend used to come along.He would  say good morning to people  along the way.Of course  they all took no notice.He said Ian way don' they say hello.Sorry Jack but most people in London think if you speak to them you want something. I think sometimes that's why people don' wave.Many Broom owners do wave,but the funny thing is many broom hirers don'.

Ian :default_icon_wave::default_icon_wave::default_icon_wave:

Living besides a tree lined public footpath I often meet city folk who have just moved into the country, bought the regulation dog, and taken up walking. First time they meet me they will generally do everything they can to avoid eye contact. Bugger that, thinks me, the challenge is on! Hello, says me, hello to the dog too, I make darn certain that they have to respond! No, I don't want anything but I'm heartily sick and tired of hearing city incomers telling people that we aren't friendly 'up here'! It's not us, it's them! A year or two back we went to London to see Fleetwood Mac, there we were right up in the 'gods' and some people behind us were telling their friends about their new home in Norfolk and how unwelcoming the locals are, grrrrrrrrr, it's NOT us!

• Like 1

I always wave, there's nothing nicer than getting a friendly wave back and calling across about the wonderful weather we're having or some such, really puts a smile on my face. I do wonder sometimes how many of us that haven't actually met yet have smiled and waved at each other or maybe the other types of hand signal :default_norty:

Always wave, smile and be nice, that's my motto and it costs absolutely nothing

Grace :default_icon_wave:

• Like 7

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Living besides a tree lined public footpath I often meet city folk who have just moved into the country, bought the regulation dog, and taken up walking. First time they meet me they will generally do everything they can to avoid eye contact. Bugger that, thinks me, the challenge is on! Hello, says me, hello to the dog too, I make darn certain that they have to respond! No, I don't want anything but I'm heartily sick and tired of hearing city incomers telling people that we aren't friendly 'up here'! It's not us, it's them! A year or two back we went to London to see Fleetwood Mac, there we were right up in the 'gods' and some people behind us were telling their friends about their new home in Norfolk and how unwelcoming the locals are, grrrrrrrrr, it's NOT us!

I think that’s unusual, normally I find that people with dogs (like us) are always ready to exchange a greeting. 

Some of the latest boats have very dark tinted windows and it can be difficult to actually see anyone inside at the helm unless the window is open and the helmsman is hanging out! They still get a wave anyway. :default_icon_wave:

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Bugger that, thinks me, the challenge is on! Hello, says me, hello to the dog too, I make darn certain that they have to respond!

Be very afraid ..... we are moving into a world where it will be inadvisable to pass pleasantries lest they be construed as unwelcome advances!!! :default_crying1animated:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2