What Might We Reasonably Expect Of Nbn?

JennyMorgan

What might we reasonably expect of NBN, both facebook and the forum?

Me, I'd expect values and rules to be of equal weight across both. I expect good debate and courtesy. I don't expect foul language nor the venom that is growingly typical of social media. I would also expect that had I run into a chain ferry, irrespective of blame, to see the event recorded for posterity. I would also expect there to be debate and to have my leg pulled from here to kingdom come, however I would not expect, nor accept, the insult & ridicule that is becoming a feature of facebook.

Personally I think that the  Forum has got it about right but that NBN facebook has some catching up to do. 

People have feelings, non of us get it right all of the time, but nevertheless we should all remember that.

What do you think?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I maybe wrong, but I suspect some of the problems stem from the way the two platforms work. I don't run a Facebook group, so don't know for sure, perhaps one of our moderators can enlighten me, but I think you are not able to edit another persons posts on Facebook. I believe that moderation, or admins as they are known over there are limited to removing a member and all their posts from the NBN group, or turning off commenting on a post, which is what has happened on the Ferry post over there.

On the forum the level of control is much more granular down to being able to lock a thread, remove individual posts, edit and remove part of a post, warning individual users, or eventually removing a user.

They are different platforms with different expectations from the users.

I think you need to think of this forum as the afternoon matinee with a PG rating and the Facebook group as the late night horror movie with an 18 rating. You participate in either or both as you see fit, but must understand they are different places with different values.

I don't think the level of controls available will allow the same set of TOS to be implemented on both platforms, which really only leaves the decision of do we want, or need Facebook?

Facebook does have an attraction to a lot of users and the decision was taken some time back that the Facebook presence would be a way to gain more members.

• Thanks 1

A lot of younger users opt for FB and keeping both platforms rejuvenated is desirable. U hope is that FB users gradually move over here and adopt the values here,

FB isn’t something I have ever joined or wish to do so

It's an unfortunate 'by product' of a good idea, that you do get the 'keyboard warrior' aspect to 'Facebook', because it's not 'moderated' as such. Some people feel free to make comments, that they wouldn't normally make, certainly not 'face to face'... It requires a certain amount of 'self restraint' not to make comments, that perhaps you otherwise wouldn't. But, we're all human and occasionally say things we later regret. Unfortunately, by the time you realise you've been a little hasty and 'delete' your comment, it has perhaps already been seen and commented on by others and the damage done.

The original idea of 'Facebook' is a good one, where distant friends/family can keep in touch, when they might, for many different reasons in modern life, have lost touch with each other. I do occasionally use 'Facebook' for exactly that purpose, keeping in touch with my distant family and friends, but as an 'add on' to a discussion forum, or for any other reason, I leave well alone...

Etiquette and "acceptable behaviour" take years to evolve. Mobile phones and the internet are "new technology" so the question "What might we reasonably expect" when discussing these two technologies can only be answered with "whatever those using those two technologies find acceptable."

It will be future generations who will eventually settle the debate of what is acceptable by common usage, our generation will have little or no control.

Car drivers no longer wave to other motorists travelling in the opposite direction, nor do AA patrolmen salute AA members. (other motorist supporting agencies are available)

Rules and courtesies evolve with the times because youngsters think them old hat, mid-generations think  the balance about right and we veterans of the world want things run the way they used to be run, so each generation moves up a rung with new youngsters coming into the game and the oldies give up the ghost and listen to the Archers instead.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

What might we reasonably expect of NBN, both facebook and the forum?

Me, I'd expect values and rules to be of equal weight across both. I expect good debate and courtesy. I don't expect foul language nor the venom that is growingly typical of social media. I would also expect that had I run into a chain ferry, irrespective of blame, to see the event recorded for posterity. I would also expect there to be debate and to have my leg pulled from here to kingdom come, however I would not expect, nor accept, the insult & ridicule that is becoming a feature of facebook.

Personally I think that the  Forum has got it about right but that NBN facebook has some catching up to do. 

People have feelings, non of us get it right all of the time, but nevertheless we should all remember that.

What do you think?

Using the chain ferry as an example I think the way some people comented was disgusting, totally un called for.

I feel for all parties involved, an all round crappy day that even without social media comments will linger in their memories for some time. 

Facebook or the forum, id choose the forum anyday, yes it still gets heated at times, we are passionate at times on certain subjects but i think in general comments are respectful.

Personally i would not post on any forum or facebook post what i would not say directly to someones face. And that has nothing to do with having my nose broken twice ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Camaraderie

A forum, at least a good one like this, welcomes new members into it's family. Families squabble at times but have a "blood is thicker than water" ethos underpinning them.

A facebook group is more loosley connected like a gang of lads on a night out. Bravado rules and damn the consequences.

I belong to both and several other Facebook groups, the NBN was not the worst offender in the Ferry incident discussions but none come out with anything to be proud of. But Facebook group members don't have reason to care about how the group looks to others. They are not invested in the same way as in a forum.

I'm not aware of any other Forums with a Facebook presence, there must be some but I'm not sure that sharing branding across 2 such different platforms can run smoothly even most of the time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ray said:

I'm not aware of any other Forums with a Facebook presence, there must be some but I'm not sure that sharing branding across 2 such different platforms can run smoothly even most of the time.

Agreed, I closed my Facebook account a few years ago. Currently my feelings are leaning towards not wanting to be involved with the NBN any more because of this 'split personality' but I am going to hang around for a while longer and see how the re-organisation pans out

Facebook is great for the immediacy of sharing things or getting help, advice and information. But I don’t get a feeling of knowing anyone the way that I do on the forum. That may sound strange given that most people here have usernames whereas on FB most go under their real name. Perhaps our names here are more unique and therefore more memorable in some cases. 

My tendency is to post less on the FB group other than “liking” some of the photos. My concern is more that the reputation of our forum is linked to the behaviour of FB group members who post in a very different way sometimes than we would want to see here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Although a member of Facebook, I find myself using it less and less. There is too many nasty, even dangerous  posts out there, many camouflaging their real intent. This all mixed up with the trivial "I'm having an ice cream at Loddon" type nonsense posts. Who cares? Get a life! There are of course exceptions to the rule. It is useful to look at business pages and Broads related, those run by Sue Hines are sensible and well run. However in the main I do think Facebook and for that matter YouTube are platforms which have the potential to be (or may already be ) very disruptive to society, something we should all be at least aware of.

At least both the main Broads forums have reasonable conditions of use. Not always perfect, nothing can be, but they have good general standards of decency and fairness to their users.

Fred

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

My concern is more that the reputation of our forum is linked to the behaviour of FB group members who post in a very different way sometimes than we would want to see here. 

I totally agree Swan.   

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day if I don't enjoy a forum or a facebook group I just don't go there, no one forces me to, 'tis my choice and I'm happy enough with that. 

Someone mentioned value as in how we value a forum but don't similarly value facebook. Perhaps that is true, but not always. I can think of several closed groups on facebook that I personally value, such as those managed by Sue Hines, however I do know many of the primary participants personally and all of those good folk have a 'forum upbringing' and that, I think, has been carried over into those particular groups. 

• Like 2

The good thing about Facebook is, the immediacy of it. Ask a question and after weeding out the fatuous remark usually you will get a good bunch of replies answering your question.

The bad thing about it is the inanity if some of the rubbish on there. Also as someone said the fake posts and the fake news. Don't get me going on the posts, that farm likes to sell on names.

The idea as I said of the immediacy is good, but do we really need all the profanity, that Facebook seems to harbour.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, finny said:

iam asking because i dont know - would it be more likely that members of both will post more on the facebook nbn ?

Finny 

On a personal basis the answer is no. Whilst I enjoy some facebook groups I really don't much enjoy the NBN group. A loyalty thing perhaps, I don't know, but its not really for me. Perhaps it's just as well that we have both platforms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Don't get me going on the posts, that farm likes to sell on names.

Do you mean to say they are not actually going to be giving away a Motorhome after all?

Jeez what a swizz! :default_biggrin:

What I found astonishing was the amount of folk gullible enough to “like & share” it is unbelievable.

7 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Jeez what a swizz! :default_biggrin:

What I found astonishing was the amount of folk gullible enough to “like & share” it is unbelievable.

Yes often into the hundred of thousands, who's greed is being fed by these post. if only they realised what trouble they have coming through just by typing like.

And when you try to warn them all you get is vitriol.

• Like 2

It's very much 'Each to their own'. I don't use facebook, I do use here. Some use only facebook, and others use both. Great! That is as it should be. Everyone has their own reasons, everyone has their own choice.

Friends reunited has I believe closed. Pity, it was a good idea, but facebook gave the same service only with many extras. People moved to facebook in greater and greater numbers. NBow, as we know, it is massive and the "Friends reunited aspect has been dwarfed out of existance. Most schools probably have their own websites anyway so again "Friends reunited" has lost it's purpose. Things have evolved. I said they would! :) 

4 minutes ago, Polly said:

Here is hoping FB evolves in the direction of assuming some social responsibility, their ethics are woeful.

I hope that too Polly. I use it for keeping in touch with family and local news. Do not use it much to post or view NBN unless it hits my newsfeed. The team have had several conversations about Facebook and are still talking, the chairman is leading the discussion. One thing to consider,  where are the younger participants coming from! Us oldies and those oldies are not bucking science and getting younger. We want to leave a legacy for them to use.