Why I Just Love This Forum

Hylander

24 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Not every post I hasten to add but a great many , start off with one subject and before long we are all talking about something totally different.   Makes for good conversation - something which is lacking these days with some people.

Just like normal conversation amongst a group of people.

Usually ends up on a different topic.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Not every post I hasten to add but a great many , start off with one subject and before long we are all talking about something totally different.   Makes for good conversation - something which is lacking these days with some people.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

What I love most about the NBN are the members. The people, their generosity, kindness, goodwill, sense of humour, memories, history, comradeship, knowledge and above all their friendship. One minute you have hot water coming out of your cold taps and the next you have Dave, Doug and Griff on their hands and knees peering into your engine compartment! Incidentally, I've come up with a brilliant idea for a cockpit mounted bicycle rack that will take three folding bicycles! :default_norty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wildfuzz said:

Timbo on a bike......... lol!

I will have you know I used to be quite good on a treader! Calves like muscly things I had! Invented pushbike yachting as a kid. By hanging your jacket from your landing net handle on a windy day you could tack your pushbike quite nicely along Lincolnshire roads when you'd been fishing!

3 hours ago, Malanka said:

Er Timbo / Timmy darling, that's what the tender is for mate....Ours has high chairs and push chairs at the moment, along with other assorted bits and bobs. 

I've got one of those! I think Doug's using it as a planter on his lawn at the minute? :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Timbo said:

Incidentally, I've come up with a brilliant idea for a cockpit mounted bicycle rack that will take three folding bicycles! :default_norty:

Billy Connolly on the Parkinson show, most of my friends could not understand him. I was wetting myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Funny how things come into your mind of memories , as an avid cook , I watch a lot of cookery programmes.    Got to thinking this morning after watching a recipe being demonstrated,   how times have changed.     My late Mum would not have given you a thank you for a garlic bulb or come to think of it Olive Oil.   She used to refer to those (sorry to all foreigners no offence meant but saying it how it was in those days) as foreign muck.   They would both have gone in the bin, no hesitation.

In her day (she died at 96) it was a joint of meat for a Sunday and that did most of the week.    Cold, minced for a pie and may be if large enough a stew,   really made of nothing in particular but it filled tums.    There certainly was not umpteen  ingredients costing a lot of money for each meal,  certainly I never saw wine ever used, a bottle of sherry was reserved for Christmas and may be a bottle of port.      Certainly no fresh coriander or many spices , heaven forbid you should add cream to anything.    

I wonder if others have similar memories.   May be it comes of living through the wars.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Funny how things come into your mind of memories , as an avid cook , I watch a lot of cookery programmes.    Got to thinking this morning after watching a recipe being demonstrated,   how times have changed.     My late Mum would not have given you a thank you for a garlic bulb or come to think of it Olive Oil.   She used to refer to those (sorry to all foreigners no offence meant but saying it how it was in those days) as foreign muck.   They would both have gone in the bin, no hesitation.

In her day (she died at 96) it was a joint of meat for a Sunday and that did most of the week.    Cold, minced for a pie and may be if large enough a stew,   really made of nothing in particular but it filled tums.    There certainly was not umpteen  ingredients costing a lot of money for each meal,  certainly I never saw wine ever used, a bottle of sherry was reserved for Christmas and may be a bottle of port.      Certainly no fresh coriander or many spices , heaven forbid you should add cream to anything.    

I wonder if others have similar memories.   May be it comes of living through the wars.

I think we changed from the inward looking country, we had become during the war years, to a more outward looking one, once we started to travel. When the 'seventies' came along, most of us could afford package holidays and it opened up the big wide world to us. The food, wine and different ways of living became attractive, compared to the 'dullness' we had become used too.

Food wise, we have learned a lot from our travels and we now have a huge choice of foods available to us and different, healthier way to cook it. Not everything new has been for the good (McDonalds, KFC, PizzaHut etc.), but that is down to personal choice and unfortunately, we don't always make the best choices, which seems to be leading to an epidemic of food related health problems. But, we are still eager to learn, as evidenced by the popularity of food related TV programmes, magazines and websites. I just hope, with the recent renewal of our 'them and us' attitude, we don't start going backwards...

My dear old Mum only knew 'Dull and Dreary'   although saying that she went out to India to be with Dad  (RAF) in 1942, sailed out , all around the Cape of South Africa,  I remember well the tales.   My sister a little girl (me not thought of yet)  was causing much ado because she found a torch and was wondering around with it willy nilly until if was removed from her grasp , many Japanese subs by then looking for our ships and she was like a beam of light in the night sky.          Mum was extremely popular that day.

Yes a lot of foods are healthy these days (the Mediterranean diet comes to mind)  but there was nothing unhealthy about meat and two veg (the edible kind chaps please).     On a Thursday we had a 'treat'    one packet of Smith's crisps with the salt in a little blue pack in it and a small bottle of Pepsi.     That was it.  I dont recall such things as chocolate bars.

• Like 1

I wonder how much difference joining the common market made to us? The commodities Hylander mentions, and many more, became more widely available in the seventies. I would not be without garlic and an array of herbs and spices in my cupboards now. The Sunday joint and its leftovers were standard for our family too but I know of at least one family now who actually ditch anything left from a joint as they can’t be bothered to do anything with it! (Or don’t know what they could do.) I am certainly glad I learned to cook at school and that both my husband and I enjoy our food enough for me to take an interest in anything edible!

• Like 2

I still remember a meal my father cooked when my mother was in hospital - he called it curry.

it consisted of a tin of minced beef, tinned vegetables, and topped off with a tin of rice pudding (curry has rice - yes?) all mixed in a saucepan and heated up. yes it tasted as disgusting as it sounds, but it was what we were offered so we ate it, both my sister and myself still remember it to this day, and still remind my dad whenever he talks about cooking.

Oh yes the other thing was that there were no spices added, no curry powder, or anything that might have improved the flavour.

The sunday roast followed by the leftovers through the week was a customary thing in our home too, roast on sunday, sliced meat on monday, minced on the tuesday, stew made from the bones and any bits not already eaten on the wednesday, and maybe a soup made from the stock under the dripping on the Thursday - then bread and dripping for the rest of the week until sunday came around again. the roast was usually one of the less expensive cuts too, maybe a leg of lamb, a pork shoulder, or a cheap beef joint, always on the bone.

the dripping bowl was never emptied, it just lived in the fridge, was added to every weekend, then the fat re-used for the next weeks roast, whether pork, lamb or beef (we never had roast chicken, I think that was always a more expensive option than pork, beef or lamb.) At christmas we had a beef joint and a large gammon joint.

• Like 2