Lancashire Version Of Breydon Water?

Thank you Helen. It makes me want to be back on the canals, the river sections reminded me of our time of on the River Seven and its gigantic locks. Any hire-boats that the routes include river sections have a anchor and chain as standard at the bow to be used in case of the river in flood.

Regards

Alan

I have always considered a passage from Sharpness to Portishead to be the "Cape Horn" of narrowboating. However you can employ the services of one of the Gloucester Pilots for less than £300 which I consider a wise investment even if he just oversees what you are doing. The Gloucester Pilots website also has a very good checklist for those taking an inland boat into such waters.

Oldgregg says their boat was only one month old. I wonder how many rust buckets make the passage and have never purged their tank or made sure the delivery system between the tank and engine is clean and water free.

PS. I would give MrDs thermal cookers a big recommendation. We have had some great dinners after a long drive to the boat and likewise when onboard with only a two burner Origo spirit stove.

If anyone wants to see a narrowboat out of its element search out a copy of 'Wash and go" by Lawrence Hogg productions. It follows NB Progress from the Wash to the Broads, down to Woodbridge then up the Orwell. They were trying to get to Stowmarket via the Gipping but fell foul of Constantine Weir in Ipswich! My copy is on VHS, I really must get it transferred to a DVD. Progress is extremely modified for the lumpy stuff but even so.........

I think there were some people a few years back who took some narrowboats on the Caledonian Canal.

All sounds good until you realise that includes Loch Ness, which is 24 miles long and a mile and a half wide in places and can either be as calm as crossing Barton Broad or like being at sea depending on the weather.

When the wind gets up it's not pleasant in an offshore boat so I wouldn't like to try it an a flat-bottomed narrowboat!

42 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I think there were some people a few years back who took some narrowboats on the Caledonian Canal.

All sounds good until you realise that includes Loch Ness, which is 24 miles long and a mile and a half wide in places and can either be as calm as crossing Barton Broad or like being at sea depending on the weather.

When the wind gets up it's not pleasant in an offshore boat so I wouldn't like to try it an a flat-bottomed narrowboat!

I can concur that Loch Ness is almost prehistoric and at times can be like a mill pond but at other times can be rough, it is a place that could be from any time and only the presence of somewhat very little boats is the only sign of modern life.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

I saw somewhere on u tube some one took a narrow boat across the channel

The fist people to take a narrow boat to France was Terry & Monica Darlington It was a good read. 

Here is a link:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2005/07/21/narrowboat_darlingtons_channel_feature.shtml

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I have this book and their other two books going to America and Wigan pier if anybody wants them foc, good reads once you get used to the writing style.

pm me and we can sort out, I’m in Salhouse or boat in Brundall if can be picked up.

John

• 1 month later...

I am absolutely hooked and look forward to Fridays.     Their presentation of the videos is excellent and you could practically be there with them.      Must them a lot of time but worth it.    Just love Dillon the dog.

• Like 2

There are many good canal blogs on You Tube and this is one of the best. Informative, well produced and bravely confronts the mental health issues of one of the bloggers. Thought their last offering made Breydon Water look a doddle and no Yellow Post!

Fred

• Like 2

The vid i`d like to get is "The longest canal journey in the world". It`s the one where global adventurer "Nick Sanders" (who i`ve the pleasure to meet) takes a canal boat through Britain, over the Channel, and through europe. I`ve never seen a copy  for sale anywhere, but would love to get it.