The Future Of Fibreglass

BrundallNavy

Strong and very long lasting... but (are we) really going soft?!

Currently no means of recycling it... but possibility of using it to make concrete. Interesting, when I was a student some 30 years ago before the internet existed I was able to ascertain that the far east were recycling glass into road base as the market for glass bottled fluids was drying up (pun intended). We don't  bury services in new roads retrospectively these days so the NDR could be a good pilot project.

Can someone donate some Andrex to the research cause quick just in case they don't make it to the market in time! My neighbour can run it up there in his Scimitar.

Sorry if I sound cynical but I can see a prospective tax regime getting laid up here.

Some early grp boats are true classics, the Chris Craft Commander being one of my favourites on the fairytale side. And look how many dinky seamasters are still in existence on the broads, staple day boat fleet fodder.

I wonder what is actually the more environmentally “green” material currently available to build a boat .

GRP which is proven to be lightweight ,malleable ,lower production costs and long lasting but apparently no satisfactory way of disposal at end of life.

Steel, heavy, costly ,corrosive , very high carbon footprint to produce but recyclable 

Wood , heavy, perishable ,costly and a diminishing resource .  (But undeniably beautiful)

perhaps the seacrete hulls of times gone by may make a come back.

• Like 1

Nocando Cambridge cabby, too much carbon footprint from production of ferrocement! The only way forwards is to carry on with all of these construction methods and offset by taxation instead, this will truly solve the “problem”..knot!

• Like 1

Go to Loddon, there are 3 bare shells just waiting to be recycled. Did I say recycled, I meant refurbished. 

Seriously though, with all the GRP iboats we see lying around in a very poor state, why doesn't someone start up a business taking them away and refurbishing them?. I know people will say it's not worth it, but you have the base mouldings to start with, meaning all they would need is a clean up and fit out. No need for making new moulds etc. 

Personally, I'd love to see some of these classic broads cruisers back to looking their best. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Seriously though, with all the GRP iboats we see lying around in a very poor state, why doesn't someone start up a business taking them away and refurbishing them?. I know people will say it's not worth it, but you have the base mouldings to start with, meaning all they would need is a clean up and fit out. No need for making new moulds etc. 

Broom seem to be looking for a new direction??:default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Broom seem to be looking for a new direction??:default_coat:

But a grp recycling plant would mean retaining some land and it seems to me that that’s not the direction they’re going .

Hedge Funds , buy a business , strip it’s assets , move on that’s their ethos , irrespective of whether purchased company is profitable , it’s all about the bottom line profit and s*d the history or ethics .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Go to Loddon, there are 3 bare shells just waiting to be recycled. Did I say recycled, I meant refurbished. 

I was talking about those the other day. How long have they been out on the hard now? It's such a shame.

5 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I was talking about those the other day. How long have they been out on the hard now? It's such a shame.

They must have been there for at least 15 years I reckon. An Aston Seamaster 30, an Aquafibre 38 & 42, and a Sandersons Sanderling. They would need a lot of work, but if building a new boat out of old mouldings, it would be one small bit for the environment, and possibly financial success. Things like windows etc can all be easily overhauled, as maybe, but only slightly maybe, the engines may not be too far gone. 

4 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

They must have been there for at least 15 years I reckon. An Aston Seamaster 30, an Aquafibre 38 & 42, and a Sandersons Sanderling. They would need a lot of work, but if building a new boat out of old mouldings, it would be one small bit for the environment, and possibly financial success. Things like windows etc can all be easily overhauled, as maybe, but only slightly maybe, the engines may not be too far gone. 

I seem to remember them being in the water around 8/9 years ago. There is sadly another abandoned wreck on the Pye’s Mill moorings - been there for at least 3 months. Mermaid Ranger I think it is. Used to see it in Hardley Dyke but I guess it got kicked out of there. I suppose it will stay there until the BA remove it - sunk or otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Which begs the question, what's going to happen to the hire fleet and private moorings?. 

I've heard from a reliable source, that they are now owned by a firm of property developers.   I can't think of another reason that they would want the business, except for the land.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Seriuosly this time: School projects. Recycling is the hot topic at the moment, especially plastics, and especially plastics in water. Mention David Attenborough and there should be funding to get these wrecks to places where students could work on them.

If only health and safety rules would allow them to do something that doesn't involve a keyboard and a screen it could work.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Seriuosly this time: School projects. Recycling is the hot topic at the moment, especially plastics, and especially plastics in water. Mention David Attenborough and there should be funding to get these wrecks to places where students could work on them.

If only health and safety rules would allow them to do something that doesn't involve a keyboard and a screen it could work. 

There was an article in MCN a few weeks back where a school teacher got an engineering class to strip and rebuild a bike engine. They did so well, the teacher decided to build a track bike, and eventually built a 400 racer. When a racing friend heard of the project, he offered to race it and won his class. 

We always criticise the younger generation for burying their heads in mobile phones, i'm guilty of that myself, but with the right encouragement, and a bit of sponsorship and funding, a project like this could be very successful, and the old Aston Seamaster could be an ideal project. 

• Like 1

Just watched the clips on line from last night. So who defines when GRP is at the end of its serviceable life? With wooden boats it’s normally a case, if my hand goes through it in many many places and subject to the cost to put it right, then possibly it is at its end of life. With GRP it may be slightly harder to determine, as structurally they are reasonably sound. Not seen too many delimitation cases, or for inland craft any that I have heard of that have sunk due to osmosis? 

Our was built in 68, a GRP spring chicken compared to some, however there are plenty of years left in her, to the point in the future a full refit and engine upgrade would keep her going for another 50 years+.... 

its the same as the biodegradable woodies, may be these are not so environmentally friendly either, though with less of them about not so much of an issue I guess. Will watch tonight see what this brings, I do like the idea of up cycling of the old GRPs and woodies too. 

Cheers

Paul 

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

It really isn't as bad as that...there are plenty of practical things that still go on in school lessons, including soldering and using acids.

Even hammering nails into wood in infant school.

No doubt there's a lot more paperwork required these days, but it doesn't stop things happening with an element of danger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

We always criticise the younger generation for burying their heads in mobile phones, i'm guilty of that myself, but with the right encouragement, and a bit of sponsorship and funding, a project like this could be very successful, and the old Aston Seamaster could be an ideal project. 

Absolutely, so it could happen if someone were to push it along. As the BA are now monitoring this forum I wonder if they could take up the initiative? Could be a winner all round.

• Like 1

The boats at loddon belong to bill maxted or did and apart from the old Sanderson's boat formed part of his hire fleet. I spoke to him quite a few years back now about buying sandling. I think he suffered some serious health issues so unsure his still around. I really nice chap I seem to remember. 

Yeah I think Bill is still around.

The boats in question were indeed part of his Broadland Riverine Boatcraft hirefleet. I know the plan with the AF38 and 42 was for them to be refitted into 'luxury' hirecraft, and I think sadly at least one of them is partly ripped out inside.