Water Rail (previously Delight Vii)(Sold)

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Grendel, I ask this in open forum so all interested parties can see it.

Would it be a good idea if the mods edited "is for sale" off the title of this thread?

I have added (Sold) to the title

• Like 1

Excuse me Mr Please Make Two, or PMT  for short.... :default_biggrin:

If someone clever in CAD was to draw a plan and print it at 1/12 (just like the ones you used to get in model boat magazines) we could all spend next winters long evenings creating a flotilla of little Water Rails?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

Excuse me Mr Please Make Two, or PMT  for short.... :default_biggrin:

If someone clever in CAD was to draw a plan and print it at 1/12 (just like the ones you used to get in model boat magazines) we could all spend next winters long evenings creating a flotilla of little Water Rails?

I have to measure it first, mind you if I do a 3D CAD drawing then it will be printable too.

BA-CAD.PNG

Think of the boat builders and aircraft builders who would "loft" the curves of a hull, wing or airframe before the days of CAD. Often in full scale with just maths tables and drawing instruments.

I wonder how many boat builders can still use the Burmester set of French Curves. 

Then there were those who could build a hull, hog up from scratch by eye.

220px-Krzywiki.jpg.e4b2b0626efda6dccdfeb443e12d1e93.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

I still have my sets of manual drawing equipment, including french curves and flexicurves.

So do I, along with my sliderule and maths tables.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think the rotring pens may have dried out though

I would think so.

In these fast moving times, who can remember these rules:-

Scale rule        Parallel rule        But what is the third one?

20200605_094658.thumb.jpg.5cb7744d78d77e80af2b3b2c5513ccc8.jpg

53 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Then there were those who could build a hull, hog up from scratch by eye.

Have come across a couple of those including one that was 6 inches longer port side than it was starboard! :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

Looks like a type setters rule.

Yup, I guess so. I used it to measure what came off these sort beasts and alter the programme accordingly. Could'nt do it now though. Think ours were all Oki.

Screenshot_20200605-100744_Photos.thumb.jpg.45b9b1c02d37fa20cf9fb53b15d9b479.jpg

100_3945.thumb.jpg.d7b378ce803912a7498fd210859f4da6.jpg

Snap!

I still have my very well thumbed copy of Burtons Nautical tables.

100_3946.thumb.jpg.c93c5e99546419bb0626f38f2ed762b4.jpg

It's worth a quick glance at the table of contents :

215467864_burtonstables.thumb.jpeg.91e75627f2988bad2459d3da7aed5139.jpeg

Taking a sun sight with a sextant, all set up ready, takes less than 30 seconds. Doing the calculations with a slide rule and these tables, to come up with a position in latitude and longitude in degrees, minutes and seconds; takes at least 40 minutes.

5891271_burtonstables2.thumb.jpeg.36e9aa36ddd2ea0ec43e70b2cb2b3eaa.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Looks like a type setters rule.

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I would think so.

In these fast moving times, who can remember these rules:-

Scale rule        Parallel rule        But what is the third one?

20200605_094658.thumb.jpg.5cb7744d78d77e80af2b3b2c5513ccc8.jpg

Pic below is a Compositor's/Typesetter's type scale.

As ChrisB's pic shows the third rule was used for data and word processors and wouldn't have been much use to printers as it is scaled in pitch increments not point sizes (except for the one pica scale).

I doubt even large book printers such as Clays of Bungay would have had a use for this scale as they probably would have used the excellent printed tables available at the time, such as Monotype's "Scientific Copyfitting".

Cornerstone typescale 991.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2020 at 09:58, JanetAnne said:

Have come across a couple of those including one that was 6 inches longer port side than it was starboard! :default_biggrin:

I had a clencher built rowing boat that had one more plank in one side than the other. I'd had her many years before I realised that! There is also a BOD sailing boat that has one bilge with more than three inches in it than the other. This only came to light when a mold for a GRP BOD was produced and then measured to see if confirmed to the class rules. That had gone unnoticed for decades! There are quite a few Broads sailing boats that sail better on one tack than the other!

Glad this thread has been resurrected as we’ve just had a weekend on Water Rail. Liz’s info on how old WR is and that she was bought from Herbie Woods by her father are fascinating.

I’ve been writing up my blog today, in breaks between working, so the tale of our weekend should appear soon.

• Like 4

For the very few who are not already hooked on the Tally Ho rebuild YouTubes, they are awesome. Leo has lofted the lines for rebuilding his historic yacht on the workshop floor. Several of the videos are devoted to explaining the ‘Maffs’

• Like 1