Corona Virus

Paul

Sorry VC I just read your response to my comments. I agree with your points.
I should have added in my post that I think the struggle China has engaged in subsequently is absolutely heroic. We owe them. 

I meant nothing derogatory, just reflecting objectively. The Chinese authorities seemed to be pretty much attributing cause as I outlined, some local officials were fired. 

• Like 1

Re the bog roll hoarders, a good friend of ours, Reg R.I.P., went over the top over a previous scare. Mind you, I think that he was hoping to profiteer, he'd done well over a previous sugar 'shortage' but that's another story. His garage was floor to ceiling high in bog rolls,  not just in height but also several layers deep! What he'd made on the sugar, I suspect, was lost on his lifetime's supply of Andrex that, thankfully, his daughter largely managed to sell off to the local corner shop when the house was cleared. Probably wished that she'd kept them now!. Poor old Reg, his stash was a standing joke for several years! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Me neither, what is wrong with squares of newspaper on a nail like my grandma had? 😋

From someone who is actually old enough to have had squares of newsprint  hung up in the outside privvy, either News of the World or the Daily Sketch, the Telegraph if you were posh, the ink transferred to one's backside and thence onto your drawers. No lady of pride would hang out her grey nickers on the line to dry! 

I thought that the ink was poisonous.

From someone who is actually old enough to have had squares of newsprint  hung up in the outside privvy, either News of the World or the Daily Sketch, the Telegraph if you were posh, the ink transferred to one's backside and thence onto your drawers. No lady of pride would hang out her grey nickers on the line to dry! 

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Just now, Hylander said:

I thought that the ink was poisonous.

It might be an urban myth but my understanding was that in the case of a medical emergency the victim should be laid on sheets of newsprint as it would be sterile, Don't forget, we once enjoyed our fish and chips served in newsprint.

It's perhaps worth taking a minute to stop and think.

IF Corona Virus causes a pandemic currently considered as "worst case scenario" by the WHO then it will kill less than 1% of the number of people who will die of hunger on this planet.

Remember that, when you are stripping the shelves of your local supermarket of pasta, baked beans et al.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's perhaps worth taking a minute to stop and think.

IF Corona Virus causes a pandemic currently considered as "worst case scenario" by the WHO then it will kill less than 1% of the number of people who will die of hunger on this planet.

Remember that, when you are stripping the shelves of your local supermarket of pasta, baked beans et al.

But the awful amount of people that die from want, illness, accident and lack of health provision is not relevant. I don't mean not important but as you step into the path of a bus while not paying attention you don't think it's not so bad because elsewhere people are starving. Likewise if you are elderly or have diminished immunity for any reason you will worry about corona virus.

By the way I doubt anyone here is among the ranks of those who panic or stockpile anyway.

• Like 3

I too recall the famous Izal. Mind you, the roll did seem to last a lot longer than a typical roll of andrex does now. My Gran's was even worse! It was Izal but came in a box that slotted into a ceramic box affair on the wall. It came out a single leaf at a time.

Oh! And she also had piles of carbolic soap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1