Corona Virus

Paul

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

I too recall the famous Izal. Mind you, the roll did seem to last a lot longer than a typical roll of andrex does now. My Gran's was even worse! It was Izal but came in a box that slotted into a ceramic box affair on the wall. It came out a single leaf at a time.

Oh! And she also had piles of carbolic soap!

I remember those darn letter box type affairs with that ghastly stuff inside them.

We had both the tin bath and the outside loo. Thursday night was bath night - whether we needed it or not -  and we even shared the water. Little sister first, then me, then my parents. How's that for green? I often think about that when the kids spend half an hour and a whole tank of hot water in their daily shower.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteveO said:

How's that for green? I often think about that when the kids spend half an hour and a whole tank of hot water in their daily shower.

Anyone else remember the early adverts for electric showers? They said something like, "A three minute shower uses a third of the amount of water as a bath". Three minutes? Once a week? No wonder we have droughts!:facepalm:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Her indoors has got cupboards full of oxo cubes now.

Somehow I don't think she's got the hang of this stockpiling lark ...

I never open drawers in my house but the other day I did and was confronted by every mobile phone and charger we have ever had since the beginning of time :default_icon_wave:

• Like 2

Back in the time when my main toys were cardboard cowboys and indians cut from the back of cornflakes packets, and slightly later when there was occasionally a plastic soldier inside the packet, San Izal did a promotion where a tiny part of a train was included inside the roll.

All I ever found were three or four red cabooses - no engines, no coaches and the cabooses were totally useless as they only had a coupling at the front end.

Speaking of the saga of the 'tin bath'.   Hubby always tells the time when he was about 12/13 and it was Friday night and out came the tin bath in front of the fire.     He remembers the total embarrassment of when he was sitting in the bath and the door knocked,  it was the lady from next door,   "oh come on in" says his Mum , bless her,  he was mortified.   He said they made a cup of tea and sat there drinking their cuppa  as if it was quite normal to do this when a young lad was having his bath.

• Haha 2

Growing up in the 50s my maternal Nan lived with us and peace didn't always reign supreme with  fall outs between her and mum  a regular occurrence and lengthy periods of non- communication would follow during which I would get the job of go-between. On one such occasion, following my mother changing the regular Izal for one of the newly obtainable soft products I was Instructed by Nan to please inform my mother that  the toilet paper she was buying was"No blooming good at all your fingers go straight through  it!"

Carole

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, we did Sainsbury’s this morning for a few provisions that we actually needed. I can confirm no loo rolls, very few boxes of tissues, very little liquid soap left and of course no hand sanitizer. Plus no Paracetamol. I am now going to walk round to our local Co-op later and see if they have got the few things we still need. 

I can understand that people are probably thinking that if the media forecasts are right about what is to come then they could have to self-isolate at any time and not want to be caught out. But this really does seem ridiculous! The actions of some mean that people in genuine need can’t get their regular shopping!

I don’t recall ever seeing anything like it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I don’t recall ever seeing anything like it. 

Reminds me of Christmas!

Went into my local Spar last night. The proprietor told me that he'd been really busy, lots of customers that he's never seen before, sold out of hand soap, toilet rolls, bottled water and Pot Noodles! Why bottled water, will the Corona Virus travel through the tap? As for Pot Noodles, for heavens sakes? Ward off Corona Virus and die of malnutrition! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1