Corona Virus

Paul

Went to our local Aldi yesterday plenty of liquid soap and loo roll in fact no shortage of anything.  We buy our loo roll from the Wholesalers anyway so have a  shipping order "in stock" having topped up last week  unaware that it could  be difficult to get in the future it was on a bogof offer so 2 enormous  packs of at least 12  for the price of 1 even better!

Carole

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Wow, what luxury! A toilet seat, a real wooden one too!

Wooden bog seats are all very well until they develop a split which closes when weight is put on it! I can still smell the little hurricane lamp that hung under the cistern in winter too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I can understand hand sanitizer, but loo rolls  and some must of brought lots of hand sanitizer. Worse  comes to worse and people have into stay at home.They will be looked after.Its just getting stupid. 

A lot of this unnecessary panic buying has been caused by certain tabloid newspapers listing items they think people should stock up on.

Not helped by the tv news showing pictures of empty shelves.

Had no problem with normal weekly shop last week and don’t really envisage a problem next week.

• Like 2

yes, the big problem s media scaremongering tactics, i generally keep abreast of whats going on, but i dont buy newspapers, or watch the news programs, so am generally isolated from the scaremongering tactics. this means i can do my own research and draw my own conclusions.

• Like 4

as i mentioned above about once a month i take my dad shopping for the heavier or bulkier items, this generally includes 4 or 5 bags of white bread flour and 4 or 5 bags of brown bread flower, my mum still bakes their bread every other day. yesterday to get his normal shop we ended up visiting both sainsburys and tesco, at tesco we got the white flour, but at twice the normal price (as he had to buy the premium named brand).

I do wonder how many of those that bought up all the shops stocks of bread flower actually know how to make a decent loaf, and just how much of that flour will eventually go out of date and just be wasted.

As for toilet rolls, in Ashford (my dads town) they had none, yet canterbury, even this morning the big packs had gone but there was half a aisle of 4 roll packs still left in Asda. is this an indication that the large student population here are less worried about the virus?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Malanka said:

Yes hospital grade dettol has been shown to be effective in killing Covid19 and Hep B and HIV. 

M. Have you got a link to this information please?.

Dettol has been proven to kill certain strains of Coronavirus, but the majority are not as virulent as this one.

According to the WHO Coronavirus is one cause of the common cold.

We run a boarding cattery and always clean the runs between boarders with disinfectant specified for use in catteries that's effective against bacteria and viruses that could cause problems with cats.

There are a number of different ones available and we have been assured by the suppliers that the Anigene for cattery we use is effective against envelope viruses like Corona including Covid-19.

Edited by Katmandu
Yet another mistake
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, grendel said:

but i dont buy newspapers,

They are quite handy in the eventuality of all the Country's stocks of loo roll are piled up in selfish peoples houses. The tabloids are best for this use, after all, they caused the panic. 

Its strange as Montezuma's Revenge is not a symptom of the virus.

Its much better to do what I have done. Realising that there may be some disruption due to Brexit I have just put the odd extra can of salmon, bully beef, frozen goods etc into my shopping over many months. As I use my Brexit stock I replace what I have used to keep my stocks up. I have five loo rolls which should last a while and I am not panicking, I went around my little corner shop yesterday and there were loads of loo rolls on the shelf.

Look! No panic!   :default_cool:

• Like 1

my parents were bought up during the war, so they have a Pantry, when their stock falls below a certain level they replace it, I would estimate that they could probably hold out for about a month, and the only thing they would be short of would be milk and fresh veg.

• Like 1

We recently had an infestation of a type of Meal moth in our pasta packets (probably originating from some wholemeal flour) - so about 10 days ago all our pastas bar one packet had to be thrown out!  We actually need to replace them!!!

• Sad 1

We have been putting it off, but today had to do our weekly shop. We chose to favour Aldi with our custom on this occasion. Just about everything we wanted was available and the shelves were well-stocked. There were 2 flavours of toilet paper to be had, but no hand-sanitiser.  The only thing I needed but couldn't get was bread flour. It seems that the weekend survivalists have decided that making their own bread is going to save them.  We have made most of our own bread for years  so this was an issue for me. Next stop on my quest for flour was Sainsbury's, where again the shelves had been picked almost clean but I did manage to secure a bag each of strong white and strong wholemeal flour.

During our visit I was,  shocked to see a police car with two uniformed officers in Sainsbury's car park. When I questioned the one of the officers, he said that they had been asked to provide a visible police presence. This in sleepy Hythe, population 15,000, average age around 80. 

• Sad 1