Corona Virus

Paul

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

For what it’s worth, I reckon we as a race in this country are too clean and have been so since the late seventies. We hardly get exposed to muck and grime like we used to do as nippers, as a result our natural immune systems have become weaker. When we were nippers we had bath night once a week whether we needed it or not. 

sanitisers, hand gels and the like we’re unheard of. Nowadays we are all so clean that the slightest bug knocks everyone over. Septasemia was unheard of, it was plain and simple blood poisoning. No one ever gets that nowadays either

I'm just gonna carry on as normal until I’m A). ordered to do otherwise  B) become ill or C) pop off this mortal coil in which case I won’t give a toss

Griff

Yes whatever happened to lifeboy and good old carbolic soap, I am also among the higher risk group particularly as I live in London but while being sensible life still goes on, as tragic as everyone is so far in 9 days there have been 11 deaths, how many have died from various other causes be it different ailments or even road accidents in each of those days, trouble now days is we have to much irresponsible media coverage, not just written or social media but constant coverage on tv particularly the BBC asking silly questions that there is no answer to.

Fred

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

particularly the BBC asking silly questions that there is no answer to.

Couldn’t agree more. BBC Breakfast at its finest this morning with pertinent questions but pursued relentlessly when the poor minister who has been rolled out really can’t give any more!!

A problem for both Norfolk & Suffolk is that of second homes, at least in regard to Coronavirus. I heard yesterday that a city family had decided to take refuge in their holiday home, understandably, but regretfully they have brought the virus with them. Inevitable I suppose.

well i pretty much got everything i usually get when shopping, although they had limited stocks Asda here were bringing out fresh pallets of toilet rolls and keeping at least some stock on the shelves, at the pharmacy there did appear to be a shortage of aspirin, but they were expecting stock next week.

John Travolta the latest celeb to catch coronavirus. He had chills they were multiplying, he was losing control...... but doctors have confirmed it was only Saturday Night Fever, and assured everyone he is Staying Alive.................I'll get mi coat

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Without wishing to be a killjoy this is a serious subject and there is already a forum area for jokes .

I'm sure people want a level of relief from a very serious situation that can affect absolutely anyone , but there's a time and a place surely .

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A problem for both Norfolk & Suffolk is that of second homes, at least in regard to Coronavirus. I heard yesterday that a city family had decided to take refuge in their holiday home, understandably, but regretfully they have brought the virus with them. Inevitable I suppose.

I was reading about how locked down Spain is now. I am hoping that we don't end up with travel restrictions that stop us getting up to the caravan this summer. And of course so many of our members getting to their boats and their holidays.

27 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I was reading about how locked down Spain is now. I am hoping that we don't end up with travel restrictions that stop us getting up to the caravan this summer. And of course so many of our members getting to their boats and their holidays.

I would not have thought so Jean.      After all from what I have read today ,  once someone has had this they are free to return to work after 7 days.   The whole economy cannot come to a standstill.   As was said this morning on the BBC complaints programme that we all wish the media would stop talking about a lockdown , that is what you do with prisoners , what we would be having is quarantine and if it gets to that , then they are not telling us the truth about this at all.

Unless we end up with troops on the streets with guns I cannot imagine the criminal fraternity isolating and worrying about anyone else,  they never had so why change the habit of a lifetime.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hylander said:

As was said this morning on the BBC complaints programme that we all wish the media would stop talking about a lockdown

We were late up this morning so missed Newswatch this week.

Of course people's lives are worth more than anything else. And I wouldn't want anyone to misconstrue my comments as meaning otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Hylander said:

I would not have thought so Jean.      After all from what I have read today ,  once someone has had this they are free to return to work after 7 days.   The whole economy cannot come to a standstill.   As was said this morning on the BBC complaints programme that we all wish the media would stop talking about a lockdown , that is what you do with prisoners , what we would be having is quarantine and if it gets to that , then they are not telling us the truth about this at all.

Oh I love a good conspiracy theroy that's one way to scare people!

11 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I have a ticket to see England v West indies at Lords and Westlife at Wembley. 

Someone I know has had emails about events being cancelled. She had already booked travel and hotels so stands to lose quite a bit of money.

It's all getting a bit silly around here now. We did our weekly grocery shop at Aldi on Wednesday and got everything we usually do, though the absence of large packs of toilet roll was evident. There was a scuffle at the checkout when the manager refused to let one woman buy a trolley full of frozen pizzas. An argument quickly ensued and a member of staff knocked to the ground. The police were called and the woman arrested. 

Having been to the freezer center today for our two-weekly freezer shop that was a blow out, The shop was almost totally empty. No tinned or packet goods, about 8 out of 10 of the freezers were empty, the only ones with anything in them at all were the low value high cost goods such as party food etc. 

According to the news on the radio the government is to debate rationing and sales restrictions among a number of virus issues on monday.

• Like 1

Just now, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Some hotels will not refund but will allow you to change the dates.

In the last day it has been a great comfort to see Brinks for one and many other contacts we have saying they will honour bookings etc.    They have changed their cancellation policy.

During this unprecedented situation, things are changing in ways we can't expect

And whilst we all look forward to our holidays, we are aware our customers may need to make last-minute alterations to their plans.

To enable this, we have bought in a no quibble policy that will help you do just that 

The Norfolk Broads offer an opportunity to escape from the stresses of everyday life. We believe the Broads National Park offers a great opportunity to do just that.

Pack your car up with the supplies you need for your time away. Board your boat, or enter your holiday home and you're in your own space. With everything on hand to help you enjoy the space and tranquillity of the Broads National Park

For extra peace of mind, we've added to our robust cleaning programme. We've introduced a new disinfectant that gives an extra measure of confidence. We've also asked our staff to follow the government's guidelines, and self isolate if they develop a cough or temperature

We do hope that this offers you some reassurance 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These measures are likely to last around three months. We need to be careful that we don't damage society and the economy by over reacting.

Everyone needs to be sensible but not over reacting.

I have had to do contingency planning and implement mitigation measures in my businesses, that is what sensible management is about.

The media love a crisis, this is all their birthdays at once. With 24/7 news they have to fill the vacuum. They do this with ever increasing waffle and endless repetition but rarely impart anything new.

Roll on the summer.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Hylander said:

In the last day it has been a great comfort to see Brinks for one and many other contacts we have saying they will honour bookings etc.    They have changed their cancellation policy.

During this unprecedented situation, things are changing in ways we can't expect

And whilst we all look forward to our holidays, we are aware our customers may need to make last-minute alterations to their plans.

To enable this, we have bought in a no quibble policy that will help you do just that 

The Norfolk Broads offer an opportunity to escape from the stresses of everyday life. We believe the Broads National Park offers a great opportunity to do just that.

Pack your car up with the supplies you need for your time away. Board your boat, or enter your holiday home and you're in your own space. With everything on hand to help you enjoy the space and tranquillity of the Broads National Park

For extra peace of mind, we've added to our robust cleaning programme. We've introduced a new disinfectant that gives an extra measure of confidence. We've also asked our staff to follow the government's guidelines, and self isolate if they develop a cough or temperature

We do hope that this offers you some reassurance 

I hope for once people will let them get away with the National Park statements! That’s a good move and I hope other companies will follow suit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, D46 said:

Without wishing to be a killjoy this is a serious subject and there is already a forum area for jokes .

I'm sure people want a level of relief from a very serious situation that can affect absolutely anyone , but there's a time and a place surely .

You might not wish to be a killjoy but you're trying very hard. Humour has always played its part in our countries resolve against adversity......and long may it do so. I make no apologies to you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D46 said:

Having like many lived through post war rationing and housing, various epidemics including Polio, Diphtheria, whooping cough and  TB plus various strains of flu, the London smog's and working in central London during the IRA campaign I am not about to get paranoid or go into meltdown now, humour has always been the saving grace in times of tribulation.

Fred

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I hope for once people will let them get away with the National Park statements! That’s a good move and I hope other companies will follow suit.

Good to see,

Companies are going to have to be flexible, if you upset a customer now they won't be back in 3 months.

• Like 3