Corona Virus

Paul

I have pulled a June trip. It has cost me £200, but if I continue, settle outstanding balances  in the hope it will be OK,  then cannot go it will be nearer to £2K.

As they say " your first loss is always your best loss"

• Like 1

We have a boat booked for May time and have every intention of going on that holiday,  come on it is as good as an isolation suite if you self cater.   Win win.    If we were proper ill that would be different ,  then you would not feel like going anywhere.

Stay safe everyone.:default_stinky: 

• Like 5

Yet again the BBC,reported endlessly about Corona,showing empty supermarket shelves. Don't think this kind of reporting is helpful.God only knows what this is costing the economy?We were due to collect for The RNLI next weekend. Was emailed last night has been postponed.

I don't want to under play it but dont know anyone thankfully that has the virus. We will get through this,it wont be easy,it will take time.Marina and I will carry on working, like most taking care within our power,buy what we need not panicking .

• Like 8

Most of us on here can remember Asian flu,   well although only about 10 years old when I contracted it and was in hospital (only because I was about to go on an RAF plane)  at no time were football matches cancelled, shops practically looted,   being told we are banned from going out.  Whatever next as you say Chelsea14Ian totally overplayed.   I agree about the news 24/7 and having to fill their time, after all Brexit has gone off the agenda so now they another sore to pick at.   It has got to the stage where I fast getting to the stage of not wanting to put the news on.  It is all doom and gloom.    I am certain that in the Wars no one in this country at the time behaved in this disgusting manner of panic buying.   

I am for a glass 1/2 full and not half empty.       Adding to that a glass of white wine please and definitely not half full.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

It now appears that all of us over 70 are being advised to self isolate for twenty weeks, with food and medication delivered to our doorsteps. Thank goodness I have direct access to the river!

I can understand those with health problems but I am going to go shopping.    It is only advice.   

• Like 3

There are risks and the best we can all do is to be sensible and cautious and follow any proper advice from qualified professionals.

it is high time though that something was done about the deliberate scaremongering by the media. The tabloids are going way over the top this weekend and now the BBC are just as bad.

I usually get shopping on Monday but last week our local Morrisons was worse than Christmas Eve. (Scaremongering by the media over the weekend no doubt ).

Left things till Wednesday and Sainsbury’s was dead quiet.

No bog rolls of course but not on my list anyway.

I was able to get all our usual food items.

This week I will wait again till midweek.

There is only myself and my mother living here but she is nearly 90 so I don’t want her worrying about anything. Especially any food shortages .

It is rather a good thing In some ways that she does not understand a lot of what is said on the  TV news.

• Like 7

I know everyones panicking, but considering they aren't testing now unless its serious and your hospitalised I suspect there's many more thousands of cases out there, of which are all then incredibly mild cases. Therefore the actual cases and the actual mortally figures are probably considerably screwed.  We seem to have people suffering with colds and flu all over the place here now (And yes most of self isolating). 

Personally I don't think we will miss it but I suspect it will just be a mild cold for most of us, it will only be a problem if you are really on deaths door normally then you are risk and certainly should hide until the summer.  Just ignore the media hype, don't click through to the news websites as these vultures are making a ton of money from this which is just encourage them, keep calm and wash your hands, try to avoid people as much as possible and it all pass. 

Please also keep working (Albeit from home if posible), keep supporting the economy, use your local corner shops (Ours here has everything in stock and I'm sure will be the lifeline for many), also don't put any further stress on our NHS, only call if you are so bad that that you really need medical assistance.. This is really what the media should be saying.

• Like 8

I have just sat and watched the Health Minster and the over 70s 'May,   May, be advised in the coming weeks to self isolate if they are unwell from previous health problems.     

Dont despair I have the answer :-    From today I am 69.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know
This is from the American Asthma Association it has a useful chart comparing Covid 19 symptoms with those of colds, flu, allergies and so on. It might be of initial use in working out whether you are unwell for Coronavirus reasons or not. Obviously it is just  a rough guide not ‘Holy Writ’.

• Like 3

As someone with COPD many of the symptoms are the same as Corona. Living with COPD If unwell I seek advice .At present I'm  fine.Alans correct we need to work and support the economy. We can't all stay at home and do nothing. Let's get the balance right stay safe only buy what you require, seek help if you need it and dont panic it will get better in time.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Shopping on line is the answer! Perhaps rename your home as 'The Hermitage'.

Thats fine if you dont want fresh produce, personaly I prefer Bread, meat & veg etc with more than todays or yesterdays date on it when buying for a few days, with all my local supermarkets thats no guarantee.

Fred

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Shopping on line is the answer! Perhaps rename your home as 'The Hermitage'.

Peter I do on line shopping every week anyway but I do need to get out and speak to people.    Cannot imagine the likes of J S Porter being told to stay in ,  can you.

To isolate the elderly is terrible , not as if they can afford to watch the TV now as the 'young and successful at the BBC' have decided to take their TV licence away from them that was given free.    It makes me chuckle to think that they can rescind the Free TV licence because they can and yet I still get my £10 allowance each year which came from when Maggi was Prime Minister,  how come that still has to arrive each year.    It would not even cover the washing powder now , let alone pay for the heating.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Peter I do on line shopping every week anyway but I do need to get out and speak to people.    Cannot imagine the likes of J S Porter being told to stay in ,  can you.

To isolate the elderly is terrible , not as if they can afford to watch the TV now as the 'young and successful at the BBC' have decided to take their TV licence away from them that was given free.    It makes me chuckle to think that they can rescind the Free TV licence because they can and yet I still get my £10 allowance each year which came from when Maggi was Prime Minister,  how come that still has to arrive each year.    It would not even cover the washing powder now , let alone pay for the heating.

Dont even get me started on the BBC, they cant afford the free licences for over 75s or to maintain proper programmes yet can waste money on total drivel that can only appeal to a minority,  sorry if this is off track and topic but everytime other half puts BBC on I wonder more and more why we are subsadising them, talk about jobs for the incrowd.

Fred

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grendel said:

my daughter tried shopping online, no delivery slots available for weeks, no order and collect slots either

Same in Warwick, last delivery was Friday so we're OK for a week.  Hopefully calm down in a few days time....

A message just received from Sainsbury's CEO

You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.

I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.

I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:

-

Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers

-

Put more capacity into our warehouses and

-

Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.

There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.

Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.

Best wishes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Last night it was nice to see chairs as well as tables getting a full wipe over in one of my locals, and it helps that they have a brass door handle on the front door not the usual plastic or wrought iron, a bit of copper content never goes amiss.

Just got to finish the stockpiling now for self isolation, diesel tanks are full just waiting on the bowser of beer......

• Like 3