Corona Virus

Paul

39 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Last night it was nice to see chairs as well as tables getting a full wipe over in one of my locals, and it helps that they have a brass door handle on the front door not the usual plastic or wrought iron, a bit of copper content never goes amiss.

Just got to finish the stockpiling now for self isolation, diesel tanks are full just waiting on the bowser of beer......

A few boxes of wine too please?

This link may be of interest to some on here. Obviously the recovery figures look rubbish for the uk at the moment but first we've to get it before we can get over it.( bit like Charlie Drake and his boomerang ). 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Now I'm not 70 yet but well on the way. Although not required (yet) to self isolate  how am I suppose to make 6 toilet rolls last 4 months :default_biggrin:.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

It's all very well for over 70's to isolate but what is the point if we are all going to get it eventually personally i think it would be better to get it now while there are space in hospital rather than get it in a months time when all beds are full unless you can isolate yourself for 18 months when there may be a antidote available.And why do you need extra toilet paper not heard that you get diarrhea with this or do people only go at work when they can use the firm's paper? John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

This link may be of interest to some on here. Obviously the recovery figures look rubbish for the uk at the moment but first we've to get it before we can get over it.

The UK figures will soon be of no use, as we are no longer asked to report cases. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The UK figures will soon be of no use, as we are no longer asked to report cases. 

I agree David but can we be sure about the figures from other countries. What I hope we will see is the recovery of those that are recorded to date.

As a side note the site is quite interesting if look at other info on the site. It's something to do if you are going to be stuck indoors for the next few months.:default_biggrin:

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

My council on Friday took the decision to postpone all non statutory meetings for the rest of March and review weekly thereafter, but in reality expect to be postponing for a number of months henceforth.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I'm a little concerned to see the amount of expert opinion questioning our government's approach to handling the situation differently from many other nations.

These are serious people who know their subject not media trying to whip up panic and dissent.

Meanwhile I remain firmly in the don't panic and carry on camp. I refuse to panic buy anything... ever!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

my astronomy club meeting went ahead, but as each person came through the door they were directed to the kitchen to wash their hands, at 60 I am one of the few younger members, so it was a wise precaution.

They probably remember the Stars virus

• Haha 2

I would never have thought of bulk-buying frying oil! Apparently sales of chest freezers is soaring, which explains why one gentleman was struggling across my local Lidle car-park on Friday with a large trolley piled high with frozen meat, he must have cleared several shelves, all to himself, greedy sod!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

There isn't enough beds, nurse's or    ventilation equipment at the present time.

In at least one of my local hospitals the worry relates to a probable shortage of doctors. Doctors, just as are nurses, carers, cleaners etc (and their families) are all likely to go down with the virus at some point.  

So according to the News,soon those over seventy and or health problems will be asked to self isolate.That may affect me as I have COPD.Isolation for up to four months.So if that's the case as someone who still works,I'm 64,65 on the 23 march.What would  I do for money, thanks to the Government I cant retire  until I'm 66 and two months. If the idiots keep buying up everything what can you live on.The fact is for me I will continue to worry taking as much care as possible. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The fact is for me I will continue to worry taking as much care as possible. 

for yourself it is good that you work in an industry where cleanliness is second nature and hands and surfaces are kept clean as part of the job, at 60, I am fortunate that I dont quite fall into the age group concerned. travel restrictions might stop me getting to work as i dont work locally, but then i work in a utility provider so that may lift certain restrictions, who knows.

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I would never have thought of bulk-buying frying oil! Apparently sales of chest freezers is soaring, which explains why one gentleman was struggling across my local Lidle car-park on Friday with a large trolley piled high with frozen meat, he must have cleared several shelves, all to himself, greedy sod!

Fine unless we have power cuts, Not so clever then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

why would we have power cuts the wires cannot catch the virus, electricity suppliers may be short handed staff wise, but they have contingency plans in place for this type of situation ditto all the other utilities.

Presumably the generation and delivery of electricity requires human intervention at various stages in the process. How can we be sure that this will work 100% of the time when 20% of those involved are ill with the virus or self-isolating? Only yesterday we heard that the NHS which, according to its own spokespeople were prepared for the outbreak,  is now in disarray with shortages of key medical equipment and disposables, and this with only 1400 active cases in the country. It is clear that the people doing the planning have a very sketchy view of the situation on the ground and that many of the so-called contingency plans are tinged with wishful thinking, so why not expect power cuts?

Steve 99.9 % of the time the electricity works fine with no human intervention, its only when something goes wrong, ie someone digging the road digs through a cable, or another fault happens - that it may take just a little longer to fix.

the vast majority of the UK network is all automated, ie it can be controlled from a central control room, switching around the network to reconnect when a fault occurs. for this a small team of control engineers is plenty. as long as we have enough people to man the control rooms the electricity will be perfectly fine.

New works may suffer, but there is absolutely no reason you would get any more power cuts during the virus than at any other time, in fact most of the switching is automated and computer controlled, the human staff are just there to overwatch the computers, at a pinch that can be achieved by a self isolated control engineer working from home via his laptop.

So I can categorically say that there is no greater chance of a power cut than there would have been normally, repairs might take a little longer though through lower staffing levels, but as the faults are generally self isolating (ie the network is automatically reconfigured to bypass the faults and get the majority of customers back on supply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1