Corona Virus

Paul

2 hours ago, grendel said:

well thats just typical, I have to make the phone call to work today to tell them i wont be in - for fear of spreading contagion, 

No, its not corona virus, i have none of the symptoms of that. what i do appear to have caught is even more worrying with all the panic buying and toilet roll shortages, yes i have managed to come down with a bout of diarrhea, fortunately with this i only need to self isolate until 24 hours after the symptoms clear up, then i can head back to work.

How i managed to pick this up, i dont know, as I have been rigorously scrubbing hands, maybe it was something i ate.

There is one doing the rounds - Cromer Academy was closed last Monday for a deep clean after a noro virus type illness ran through there the previous week

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Horning and Hickling Sailing Clubs have cancelled racing and other events until further notice..( Though private sailing may continue)

Not seen anything from any other club.

The RYA have also cancelled all their events UFN.

Listening to the radio this morning and a comment from someone with friends in Bergamo, Italy. They are of course in lockdown there and the panic buying started long before ours in this country. Shop shelves were empty and groceries almost impossible to get. (Sound familiar?) A different scenario now, the shops are heaving with goods but not selling too well as people go through the stuff they stockpiled. I wonder if the same thing will happen here. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Listening to the radio this morning and a comment from someone with friends in Bergamo, Italy. They are of course in lockdown there and the panic buying started long before ours in this country. Shop shelves were empty and groceries almost impossible to get. (Sound familiar?) A different scenario now, the shops are heaving with goods but not selling too well as people go through the stuff they stockpiled. I wonder if the same thing will happen here. 

Very likely that will happen here IMHO , being a buyer for a supermarket must be an absolute nightmare right now , obviously it can easily go the other way too if they scale back too much on stock and can't get shelf's filled when those moron's that panicked and bought Masses products that others need , actually start to run out .

All in all it's a very tricky job to get right and certainly not one I'd like to be doing .

Ironically whilst I wouldn't support panic buying, the situation is not working out too bad for supermarkets. Stock is flying off the shelf whilst they still have full staff. As and when they end up with staff off sick due to the virus and caring for other family members, demand for food is likely to drop due to the massive stock piling. This all appears to be borne out by the current share prices for supermarkets which have largely missed the massive drops experienced by virtually all other companies.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YnysMon said:

The OU is now advising staff to work at home if possible, and that it’s okay to take monitors, laptop docking stations home.

HomeOffice.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Ironically whilst I wouldn't support panic buying, the situation is not working out too bad for supermarkets. Stock is flying off the shelf whilst they still have full staff. As and when they end up with staff off sick due to the virus and caring for other family members, demand for food is likely to drop due to the massive stock piling. This all appears to be borne out by the current share prices for supermarkets which have largely missed the massive drops experienced by virtually all other companies.

Exactly expect it to be reflected in their 1/4 yr returns , that said it could easily go the other way if the distribution links fail .

I've just lifted this from Twitter. I don't think I need to add anything to it.

'Whipps Cross A&E yesterday. Funny how nobody has a nose bleed, tummy ache or splinter when they might be at risk of catching something else.'

image.thumb.jpeg.f97a41d82b65324dd2fc6f27e7feeab3.jpeg

I hope this is genuine as a&e can do without time wasters.

Colin :default_beerchug:

Stay well everyone.

• Like 2

Some nice neighbours spoke to us this morning to say if we had to self isolate or needed anything they would help us out.

It was only a little while later that we realised that as far as they are concerned "we" are the elderly neighbours.

I'm a young, fairly healthy 64 for goodness sake, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Ray said:

Some nice neighbours spoke to us this morning to say if we had to self isolate or needed anything they would help us out.

It was only a little while later that we realised that as far as they are concerned "we" are the elderly neighbours.

I'm a young, fairly healthy 64 for goodness sake, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I fall in that category as well! No one has asked us yet but there aren't many younger neighbours!  We have lived in the house 30 years - there are 14 homes in the road and we are still only 6th longest residents!  We moved from 7th place two years ago.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Horning and Hickling Sailing Clubs have cancelled racing and other events until further notice..( Though private sailing may continue)

Not seen anything from any other club.

The RYA have also cancelled all their events UFN.

NBYC (Wroxham) cancelled everything up to the end of April for the time being.

I shall be at work tomorrow dealing face to face with the general public for my two days!  In the meantime I am making use of our local footpath network with a daily 1 1/2 to 2 hours walk - I am very lucky that our house is on the edge of the town and the countryside is there.  This morning despite very overcast - the Sky Larks were singing in profusion - it was really uplifting at this time of extreme crisis.

Liz

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, w-album said:

Sky Larks were singing in profusion - it was really uplifting at this time of extreme crisis.

I love hearing the skylarks when I'm walking my dog on the dunes, the absolute best thing is walking on the beach just far enough away from the water's edge to hear the surf and the skylarks! Heaven!

• Like 3

We bought a new fridge a few months ago and it is so much more efficient than any previous fridge we've ever owned thus fresh veg which we eat a lot of stays that way for much longer so we were able to buy lots knowing it will stay fresh for ages. What will make me very fed up is if they make staying home mandatory and I can't walk round to get my morning paper that will mean that both my body and brain (no crosswords etc.) will be lacking the necessary exercise.

Carole

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 12:54, Regulo said:

So will Rene and I. I am not (quite) in the "vulnerable" age group, but Rene definitely is (don't ask, she'd kill me if I told you!). She insists we carry on, supporting our usual lunchtime haunts. This virus is out there, and can't be stopped, unless there's troops on the streets. I understand the reasoning behind the advice, but I don't see how it will help. If I get shopping for someone, I have to leave it on their doorstep - contaminated with whatever I've picked up in the shop. If I touch ANY public door handle, I've got it. If I sit indoors, it will not help one bit in the overall spread of this virus. Our economy will be decimated, with businesses going under, and great loss of jobs. So, we will carry on, as we always have, come what may.

While this virus is spreading very fast, one person infects on average only 2.2 people. Going out and touching a contaminated surface in a shop is not a guaranteed way to catch it. As someone else said, it is important to wash hands and avoid touching your face though. It's not as contagious as flu, but nastier to have.

I'm generally in the keep-calm-and-carry-on category, but this is very different. If everyone carries on with a stiff upper lip, this is going to spread far faster than the NHS can cope with, and the death rate will shoot up. Everybody has to do what they can. It might feel as if an indvidual's actions make no difference, but altogether how fast this spreads, and how deadly it is overall, depends on what we all do. Sitting indoors certainly does help the spread because you're not going outside contaminating surfaces, and coughing over people. People in Italy and China aren't being kept near prisoners in their houses for fun.

On 17/03/2020 at 13:23, MauriceMynah said:

I'm with you Ray (Regulo), I'm 65, type 2 diabetic and at the moment, gout ridden, BUT, I shall go to Tesco either today or tomorrow, I shall visit my normal haunts and if I get the bloody thing and snuff it, the rest of the world can shout "I told you so". 

The problem is that the NHS will do their best to save the life of anybody who gets it, and resources are limited. So anyone who decides to carry on and take the consequences if they get it impacts other people, not just themselves.

I am not an epedimiologist (I can't even spell it) but I am a scientist and have read the work Imperial is doing - and sobering reading it is too.

(I also realise that it's perhaps a bit rich to have ignored this forum for months and then come back only to criticise people, but this is very important and I couldn't leave it be)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, addicted said:

We bought a new fridge a few months ago and it is so much more efficient than any previous fridge we've ever owned thus fresh veg which we eat a lot of stays that way for much longer so we were able to buy lots knowing it will stay fresh for ages. What will make me very fed up is if they make staying home mandatory and I can't walk round to get my morning paper that will mean that both my body and brain (no crosswords etc.) will be lacking the necessary exercise.

Carole

I can't help with exercise but I have found that the online version of most newspapers carry their crosswords and filling them in using a keyboard is much easier and more satisfying than I thought it would be!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Coryton said:

The problem is that the NHS will do their best to save the life of anybody who gets it, and resources are limited. So anyone who decides to carry on and take the consequences if they get it impacts other people, not just themselves.

I am not an epedimiologist (I can't even spell it) but I am a scientist and have read the work Imperial is doing - and sobering reading it is too.

(I also realise that it's perhaps a bit rich to have ignored this forum for months and then come back only to criticise people, but this is very important and I couldn't leave it be)

Fair comment, I may well re-evaluate my views.

• Like 2

Yes if one person catches it then they only pass it on to approx two others , but if those two others pass it on to two others etc etc it very soon becomes uncontrollable , get a chess board and put a grain of rice on the first square and double it for the second square and so on by the time you reach square 64 there would be more than eighteen quintillion grains !!!!!

• Like 2

True story,

On Monday in the local Tesco a local Lady ( I know her title) was panic buying, in her trolley was 36 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of gin!

When asked at the check out if she was having a party.

She replied, " If alcohol keeps the hands clear I shall inhale it THEN drink it" She probably lived through Dunkirk.

paul 

5 hours ago, Ray said:

Same thing happened to me this morning. I am 66 and my lovely. helpful neighbour is 70. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1