Corona Virus

Paul

The OU is now advising staff to work at home if possible, and that it’s okay to take monitors, laptop docking stations home. I notice that I and my colleagues are quickly getting more savvy about how to hold meetings via Skype.

No.2 son has been in contact today to say someone who has visited their student house in Bournemouth has been confirmed as having Covid-whatsit. He has has cold symptoms since the weekend. As a household they are self-isolating.
He’s reporting that they have plenty of food but are running short on loo roll. He also added he shouldn’t go hungry as he’s sharing a house with 5 other people.
:default_ohmy:

He’s always has a wry sense of humour.

Elder son has meanwhile been trying to calculate roughly how many people he came into contact with on the till at yesterday’s shift in IKEA. He’s been wearing disposable gloves and trying to follow other advice. One of his online friends is a bank manager in Wisconsin and has been talking about her worries about the number of elderly people continuing to visit the bank. She and her staff keep cleaning down surfaces.

It’s a weird old world, but hopefully we can look after each other.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2020 at 23:49, JennyMorgan said:

In at least one of my local hospitals the worry relates to a probable shortage of doctors. Doctors, just as are nurses, carers, cleaners etc (and their families) are all likely to go down with the virus at some point.  

It was a doctor (a children's doctor at that) that first bought the virus to Hamburg - into the main hospital!  Which is where my daughter works - but in a different department (forensics).

4 hours ago, Paul said:

I always dry hop kits, though your choice is a bit citric for me. I tend to stick to the old traditionals like fuggles, EKG or occasionally cascade. Our local homebrew shop, now defunct sadly used to sell sterile hop plugs specifically designed for dry hopping. I also started substituting the included yeast for my preferred varieties though in the quality, two can kits I used to favour i was finding this made little if any difference and went back to using the included packet.

Much prefer talking about beer making to this bloody virus. I remember sampling some of your beer at one of the NBF bunfights back in the day and it was very good.  I buy my hops online - eBay as we don't have a home brew shop in the area at all. I have a number of varieties in the deep freeze, including fuggles and cascade and am working through them slowly to discover good combinations. At the rate of 2-3 brews per year, progress is very slow but enjoyable. 

• Like 1

This morning I spoke with the Nurse at our GPs,she helps to look after my COPD care.Regarding the latest advice about self isolating.She adviced me to do so.We discussed all the problems I may face.In the end I thought it best to carry on.I dont have any symptoms and feel okay. Then I spoke with my boss and came to the same conclusion.Got into work,the Chef said he's boss has said none of us from the relief team to continue working there at present. Numbers of customers have fallen through the floor. So not sure what's going to happen next.will speak to my boss tomorrow. 

PS I too fed up with Corona, just wish it would  go away.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

The OU is now advising staff to work at home if possible.

Same here Helen. It was a very strange and unsettling day, packing up our things and saying goodbye with no idea when we will actually all be able to be together again. I am quite sure that I am not going to feel as motivated or get as much done from home.

I work from home 3 days out of 5 normally, so I'm fortunate in being set up for it and used to it but I know I'm in the minority.

I'm due my first hire of the year from Waveney River Centre on 6th April. Whether that happens or not is still uncertain and seems largely dependent upon whether I can avoid the virus before then. WRC are still operating at the moment and have released a statement today https://www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk/about/covid-19-coronavirus-statement/

• Like 1

It does feel unreal. At least I’m well set up for home working, with laptop and good secure networks. Must be really difficult for people like Ian in other more ‘hands-on’ industries, and I really feel for small business owners.

The latest this evening for us isn’t unexpected but slightly depressing. Dog training cancelled, band practise sessions cancelled, stained glass evening classes cancelled and even church services cancelled. That must be a first.

Elderly people without family around them and who aren’t connected with people over social media will be isolated. 

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Elderly people without family around them and who aren’t connected with people over social media will be isolated. 

May I suggest that those of us outside the “at risk” category if we know any elderly people in our towns / villages who have no one to help if at all possible in ensuring they are getting their shopping etc , not all are comfortable in reaching out themselves to ask for help when they need it .

I have made sure my 87 year old mother is already “confined to barracks” she has sufficient food in for a month and I deliver her paper and fresh milk daily as well as ringing her for a chat a couple of times a day 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent advice. We are trying to keep in touch with my father in law, living by himself in Anglesey.

Today my husband phoned his Dad (who’s 88 next week) to offer to bring him down to live with us for a while. I must admit, I had doubts whether that would be the best plan, given MK is much more populated than Anglesey, and we have our son who works on checkouts, so in contact with a lot of people, living with us. Dad says he’s fine for the present. Hope it stays that way!

• Like 4

Good luck with the shopping, I went into my local Sainsbury's today to pick up some essential items for my Dad, the queue's were unbelievable with trolleys over flowing and as a result the shelves were empty. I have never experienced anything like it and hope not to again in my lifetime. No bread, no tinned items and no mediations even the freezers were empty. 

Stay safe, healthy and look out for vulnerable people, I have a couple of elderly neighbours who I will make an effort to check on for sure

Take care everyone

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

well thats just typical, I have to make the phone call to work today to tell them i wont be in - for fear of spreading contagion, 

No, its not corona virus, i have none of the symptoms of that. what i do appear to have caught is even more worrying with all the panic buying and toilet roll shortages, yes i have managed to come down with a bout of diarrhea, fortunately with this i only need to self isolate until 24 hours after the symptoms clear up, then i can head back to work.

How i managed to pick this up, i dont know, as I have been rigorously scrubbing hands, maybe it was something i ate.

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My Mother in Law was watching the news, she later announced that she will be ok as she is fit and healthy and only 75.

She is 95 and has a host of medical conditions including heart failure. At least she isn't worrying.

Dont you just love them.   When Mum was alive she used to tell everyone she had a car and drove everywhere,   she was in a Care Home had dementia and was 94.

• Like 1