Corona Virus

Paul

My wife has a cough and is a teaching assistant, it was an existing cough with no other symptoms except a lingering cold and guidelines said to isolate if you have a NEW cough.  However, when she called the school after the guidelines were updated on Friday she was told to stay home for 7 days

Now the guidelines have changed again so it looks like I’m working from home and my 3 children are off school for 14 days.  They were quite happy until my wife pointed out she will make sure they have some work to do !!

Most of the offices around Europe have already changed to home working so not a huge problem.  I do have a few projects on the go which may suffer from not being able to visit but in the grand scheme of things nothing that cannot wait.  Most boat shows will probably be cancelled anyway !!

Through my wife I know most schools are trying to prep for home learning and I suspect a lot will close early for Easter.

Our Broads holiday isn’t until August plus it’s a self catering cottage so hopefully will be ok.

My biggest upset is my mums carehome closed to all visitors last week, it’s 90 miles away and she’s not in the best of health as it is...

• Sad 1

There will be winners and loses in all of this as there always is.    I am hoping that the UK holiday business will thrive as folk can stay on their own and , heavens forbid this last sentence, but cook for themselves.    It does not take a lot of imagination and I am sure many will enjoy this.

I do feel for you NeilB as know what it is to have a Mum in a care home and you do worry about them.   A big thank you to all the Care Homes and their staff and also to staff like Morrisons who are doing a grand job.   That's a thought, will  they restrict 50 at a time in a supermarket.      Can you imagine if they shut the schools with kids running amok around Tescos and the like.    Unfortunately not all parents are caring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

really its everything that multiple people touch, I pointed out the other day that the packs of antibac wipes one between 4 desks, that we also need to wipe the pack every time someone handles it to get a wipe out.

My thoughts exactly, same as hand washing; you open the door with contaminated hands, you turn the tap on, you use the soap dispenser and wash your hands perfectly clean, close the tap (hands now contaminated again), close the door (hands now contaminated again).  How far can you go unless all doors, taps and soap dispensers are all sensor operated.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BryanW said:

My thoughts exactly, same as hand washing; you open the door with contaminated hands, you turn the tap on, you use the soap dispenser and wash your hands perfectly clean, close the tap (hands now contaminated again), close the door (hands now contaminated again).  How far can you go unless all doors, taps and soap dispensers are all sensor operated.

Exactly, anybody want to order their food using one of those screens like in Mc Donalds?

Looking to the longer future, when all this has run it's course, will employers and employees realise there's a lot of jobs that currently involve commuting that can be done perfectly adequately from home? We should be aiming at reducing the stress and hassle of commuting for those able to work from home. With today's technology, a lot is possible. But don't tell the Government, HS2 MUST be built, to get rich people to Birmingham 20 minutes faster. :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Looking to the longer future, when all this has run it's course, will employers and employees realise there's a lot of jobs that currently involve commuting that can be done perfectly adequately from home? We should be aiming at reducing the stress and hassle of commuting for those able to work from home. With today's technology, a lot is possible. But don't tell the Government, HS2 MUST be built, to get rich people to Birmingham 20 minutes faster. :default_gbxhmm:

After all this will there be any money to build anything?

Nothing is for nothing! Future generations will be paying for this to the end of the century.

Before Corona, there was a trend to where possible work from home.I think that will increase. What has come to light,is the social interactions. If you work on your own,you may lose out on inter actions with others.Many like myself have to go to work.

Chris I agree this will cost millions/ billions and will take some time to pay the bill.

44 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I see the BBC have extended the period for the over 75s to have a free TV licence to August -  well that is big of them isnt it.

The government stopped the money for the free licences not the BBC

• Like 4

Fuming. My mother in law is 84, has a string of health issues, and lives in Essex commuter belt. The local stores have been stripped bare by the 4x4 driving hoo rays, and when we tried to book her an online delivery we get an earliest slot of mid April as they've taken all those too.

So we are faced with a 5 hour round journey to get her supplies in or she literally starves

Wife works in an essential public service, I teach Cadets which is still running, and daughter still at school, so bringing her up isn't an option either....

• Sad 3