Corona Virus

Paul

i had a very interesting conversation with a consultant yesterday, I have been on long term chemotherapy for the last 18 months, and apparently in the high risk sector if I contract the virus, the hospital advise avoiding shopping centres and centres of large congregation especially if air conditioned, interestingly the hospital was much warmer than normal yesterday.

My chemotherapy has been cancelled for two weeks as a precaution .

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

My chemotherapy has been cancelled for two weeks as a precaution

I'm guessing that's because the therapy damages the immune system. I remember my wife being told her immunity was at it's lowest 10 days after the infusion. 

For us 8 months of planning just went pear shaped yesterday.

My local amateur radio club of which I am on the committee had the task of postponing the South Easts, Largest Radio and Electronics rally.

This was due to go ahead in 16 days time.

But due to pressure from traders and the public. Usually panic stricken Facebook warriors spreading posts everywhere. Saying people should boycott if it goes ahead.

We decided to pull the plug last night, this has caused us a small club to lose a lot of money.

• Sad 6

27 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I'm guessing that's because the therapy damages the immune system. I remember my wife being told her immunity was at it's lowest 10 days after the infusion. 

Apparently they are reviewing each case independently, but yes you are right the immune system would not be strong enough to fight.

Interestingly the hospital was warmer than usual, think they had turned the air con off.

Went to Lathams earlier, they have stacks of loo roll, pasta and rice.

I might have to start an export businesses between Norfolk and Kent. You could be mugged walking around with loo roll on dispay at the moment in parts of Kent. :default_biggrin:

Now all I need is to perfect my hand sanitizer recipe, Oh, and find some small plastic bottles. The 60% proof vodka is getting expensive.

• Like 2

Off to Tesco this morning, getting fridge supplies ahead of our arrival in Stalham for a week of "self-isolation".

If it wasn't so pathetic it could have been amusing, a man and a woman in tug of war over last bag of potato wedges and two women discussing how ridiculous the panic buying is - before emptying a shelf of sausages between them.

Around three times as many people as usual, the wife and I were out of there post haste courtesy of self-scan.

Can't wait to leave this madhouse behind, it's been a very long time coming.

• Like 1

What makes me angry is the panic buyers are depriving normal people of everyday items.  Our shopping delivery arrived this evening without any toilet rolls which we were half expecting, we have about 3 days worth left and the local shops have none.  They had kitchen towel so that will have to do if necessary.

There's plenty to go round if everyone is sensible, but sadly common sense also seems to be in short supply !!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeilB said:

They had kitchen towel so that will have to do if necessary

Kitchen towel is designed to be absorbent whereas toilet tissue is designed to quickly breakdown in water, watch out for clogged pipes and plumbing costs! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ray said:

Kitchen towel is designed to be absorbent whereas toilet tissue is designed to quickly breakdown in water, watch out for clogged pipes and plumbing costs! 

I bought the cheap ones and the kids have been warned !!  

Given the advice to self-isolate if you have specific symptoms, we have started to buy just a few extra single items when at the shop. 

A post on a local Facebook group about people not being able to buy what they genuinely need got around 250 replies very quickly. That has become a familiar problem. 

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, I reckon we as a race in this country are too clean and have been so since the late seventies. We hardly get exposed to muck and grime like we used to do as nippers, as a result our natural immune systems have become weaker. When we were nippers we had bath night once a week whether we needed it or not. 

sanitisers, hand gels and the like we’re unheard of. Nowadays we are all so clean that the slightest bug knocks everyone over. Septasemia was unheard of, it was plain and simple blood poisoning. No one ever gets that nowadays either

I'm just gonna carry on as normal until I’m A). ordered to do otherwise  B) become ill or C) pop off this mortal coil in which case I won’t give a toss

Griff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

For what it’s worth, I reckon we as a race in this country are too clean and have been so since the late seventies. We hardly get exposed to muck and grime like we used to do as nippers, as a result our natural immune systems have become weaker. When we were nippers we had bath night once a week whether we needed it or not. 

sanitisers, hand gels and the like we’re unheard of. Nowadays we are all so clean that the slightest bug knocks everyone over. Septasemia was unheard of, it was plain and simple blood poisoning. No one ever gets that nowadays either

I'm just gonna carry on as normal until I’m A). ordered to do otherwise  B) become ill or C) pop off this mortal coil in which case I won’t give a toss

Griff

99% agree especially regarding our immune systems , the 1% is that we need to take precautions as no matter who we are married or single we will always leave others behind in sadness .

• Like 2

I did stock a wee bit for self isolation, I have 570 litres of diesel aboard!

As for bog roll the dog taught me a wee trick, just drag your ar5e along the carpet....

If that don't work there's always a brush beside most bogs, if it puts up a fight put the brush in a battery drill! :default_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There no doubt this is becoming  serious, but yes there to much panic. Every time you turn on the tv or look at the paper one subject, Corona. Fact Bexley  which we come from living in Belvedere theres one confirmed case,yet loo rolls and hand sanitizer like gold dust.It will get worse ,but if you do have to self isolate most will be able to shop on line.Those unable will relay on family  and friends. 

I like many am concerned. Working in London and having COPD .I'm at more risk then most.Not panicking  but take care and try and stay safe.

• Like 1