Corona Virus

Paul

Thank you one and all for your sympathies and best wishes. 

My concerns were not so much for Lynn & I but for the elderly or unwell everywhere and to counter the underlying message being pushed out by the media,  seemingly that we shouldn't worry, that we must expect us older folk and the unwell to die. Perhaps that makes it acceptable for the young and fit, but it's not so good for the elderly and unwell, or even the very young, I have a new great grandchild so that's two reasons for concern.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2020 at 16:51, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you one and all for your sympathies and best wishes. 

My concerns were not so much for Lynn & I but for the elderly or unwell everywhere and to counter the underlying message being pushed out by the media,  seemingly that we shouldn't worry, that we must expect us older folk and the unwell to die. Perhaps that makes it acceptable for the young and fit, but it's not so good for the elderly and unwell, or even the very young, I have a new great grandchild so that's two reasons for concern.  

Great news for our pension funds and state pension liabilities though.:default_biggrin:

21 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'll state the obvious, that is two people in every hundred, perhaps irrelevant to the surviving ninety eight! My wife, at this moment in time, has pneumonia following an operation, yes, I am worried. 

Our very best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery JM

My dad contracted pneumonia last year (twice), although I don't think it was twice, he just hadn't recovered fully from the first bout but made a good recovery none the less even though he has other health issues. I understand your worry but look after yourself too

All the very best 

Jay and Grace x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Until you can get into people's thick heads to cover their mouths with a tissue when sneezing and not with their hands so they can spread the droplets all over what they are touching this virus will spread everywhere.

Only the other day as I was coming away from the bar some idiot openly sneezed over me, my beer and my mate's beer. What a nice man! 

Now there are cases in London and with so many people like that around we do not have a chance of containing the virus. 

• Sad 1

On 29/02/2020 at 13:56, Hylander said:

You go and enjoy yourselves.  I am for getting out the champagne, if only I was not so afraid of opening the darn bottle.   They terrify me.     

Peter spoke of Asian Flu,   I had that when I was 10 and was in hospital at RAF Halton.    Mum and I were on our way out to join Dad in Bahrain when I managed to catch the dreaded flu.      I dont recall all of this publicity that we have now.  Nor do I recall much about Szars or whatever it was called.    

Perhaps there weren't so many 'bad news' stories that the Government of the day wished to obscure...

I decided today to stock up on antibacterial hand gel, seems I have left it too late. The main supermarkets, Boots and Superdrug have all run out! Looking online, Amazon have some but I’m not sure I really want to take a chance on some of their offerings not knowing where they emanate from. Some of them can be delivered in 2/3 months so maybe it’s Outer Mongolia! I just thought it would be sensible to have some in the car for use when out and about. Funnily enough, having said what I did the other day about hospital hand sanitiser, on my visit today I noticed a lot more people using it. Perhaps the message is getting through at last.

The new display I mentioned in our local supermarket is also now empty, the price increase obviously did not put people off. In wartime we called such moves profiteering, today it's market forces. 

What would be good I think is for the Government via PHE to confirm how the infection caused by this virus first manifests itself, as reading reports coming from China it is quite different from normal coughs and colds and flu virus. As these reports are not proper confirmed reports I shall not post them or comment on what they say, but it might serve to stop the rush of calls on our NHS from people who have sneezed once and now insist they have hours left to live.

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

The new display I mentioned in our local supermarket is also now empty, the price increase obviously did not put people off. In wartime we called such moves profiteering, today it's market forces. 

What would be good I think is for the Government via PHE to confirm how the infection caused by this virus first manifests itself, as reading reports coming from China it is quite different from normal coughs and colds and flu virus. As these reports are not proper confirmed reports I shall not post them or comment on what they say, but it might serve to stop the rush of calls on our NHS from people who have sneezed once and now insist they have hours left to live.

I would suggest the following probably contains the best advice if trying to ascertain what the first symptoms of Coronavirus are and what you should do.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

• Like 1

Our local lidl had it reduced in price to 49p, but they were sold out, apparently some woman had come in and bought their entire stock, 30 cartons (it was also rumoured that she was then selling it on ebay for a handsome profit.

my daughter suffers from a cough on occasions so has face masks she uses when she has a cough (they have a vulnerable person with immune deficiencies in her office) and when she recently tried to order more face masks she found that the price had risen and the next available delivery was april.

An alternative to gel could be hand wipes, wet toilet tissues or antibacterial surface wipes. Be careful with the latter as they can smell quite strongly and horrible. Supermarket own brands are usually ok.

I have a bit of time on my hands, and it's showing...

In 2012 I started work in an open plan office with a group of around 20 blokes averaging 30 years old. Air conditioning circulates all the bugs nicely thank you but if the bugs needed any help they certainly get it from people who never use a handkerchief or tissues. There always seems to be one bod or another sniffing something back as if they want to keep it. Ironically, if they use the toilet and the previous user hasn't flushed it properly, they claim it's disgusting!

I had to put up a notice board between myself and one colleague (thankfully he's left now) because of the constant distraction of him picking his nose literally all day!

I never share a keyboard!

For those reasons I always keep a packet of antiseptic surface wipes at work and in the car. I always clean the toilet door lock, handle, flush handle and tap before the seat then chuck the wipe in the bin.

But then we walk down the corridor and there are fire doors with stainless steel push plates. I understand hospitals and other public places are slowly reverting back to copper for it's antibacterial properties.

40 minutes ago, grendel said:

The alternative is good old soap and water, I hear that Lush (the soap company) are providing free hand washes to customers and people who go into store (which is a great idea and good publicity to boot)

Sadly I am now banned from Lush. This has not come about because of any action on their part, or misdemeanour of mine but the instruction of she who must be obeyed. The last time I went in to our local store I came out with a carrier bag and a credit card bill for 105.00. I just love their products.

I’ve never been into a Lush store. Can’t stand even waking past. It just smells too strong. I’m the type that buys mostly unscented soap etc. due to having had allergic reactions to various face creams, so strong perfumes tend to make me feel yuk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

The alternative is good old soap and water,

Soap and water is not always available when you are out and about, that’s where hand cleansing gel or wipes come in handy (excuse the pun!). On the radio this morning, an elderly lady said she now carries a small pad soaked in a mild bleach and wipes every possible surface she has to touch. OTT or good sense?

My mum (87) has just informed me she is now carrying a small dispenser bottle that she has filled with Vodka!!!!

You know how it is with mums so I just recommended one squirt for each hand and one in the mouth!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We  were out shopping today after our monthly appointment with our chiropractor and Ruth noticed that Aldi and Home Bargains had no stock of hand sanitiser. Guess where you can buy it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Bacterial-99-Cien-Alcohol-Hand-Sanitiser-Sanitizer-Gel-28X-50ml-Each/274293147625?hash=item3fdd2547e9:g:LoIAAOSw~exeW5Gn

Nice local boy selling it. ?

And not the only one on eBay.

While we were in Gt Yarmouth yesterday (Sunday) having been to check our mooring at St Olaves for flooding/wind damage we popped into the Harfreys estate to Poundland. The man behind us had a large box of dust masks and what was loose on the display, basically taking all their stock. Now he has either got a lot of rubbing down to do or he is just profiteering on people's fears.

Sadly panic is setting in and stores and supermarkets need to restrict sales of some items like they do with pain killers.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Islander said:

While we were in Gt Yarmouth yesterday (Sunday) having been to check our mooring at St Olaves for flooding/wind damage we popped into the Harfreys estate to Poundland. The man behind us had a large box of dust masks and what was loose on the display, basically taking all their stock. Now he has either got a lot of rubbing down to do or he is just profiteering on people's fears.

Maybe we should all hope that a few of these people get lumbered with this stuff when it's all over.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Islander said:

We  were out shopping today after our monthly appointment with our chiropractor and Ruth noticed that Aldi and Home Bargains had no stock of hand sanitiser. Guess where you can buy it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Bacterial-99-Cien-Alcohol-Hand-Sanitiser-Sanitizer-Gel-28X-50ml-Each/274293147625?hash=item3fdd2547e9:g:LoIAAOSw~exeW5Gn

Nice local boy selling it. ?

And not the only one on eBay.

Sadly panic is setting in and stores and supermarkets need to restrict sales of some items like they do with pain killers.

Colin :default_drinks:

Absolutely agree it's time to restrict the number of units per customer , I can't stand selfish people who think only of themselves and those buying to resell for profit just to make a fast buck should be shot :default_2gunsfiring_v1:, preferably as they leave the store , then the product put back on the shelf for everyone , sounds a bit extreme I know but seriously some people make my blood boil in their selfish ways , the biggest problem with limiting sale's is some people just visit multiple stores so it doesn't combat the greed and me me me aspect that's so despicable in some .

• Like 1