It's All Going To The Dogs

2 hours ago, Cal said:

He is a miniature schnauzer, miniature poodle, bichon frise, pomeranian, chihauhau mix.

I know that breed, I believe it's known as a "dog", mixes are always the best and usually the strongest health wise.

With our mut we often asked what she is and get a strange look when I reply "it's a dog".

• Like 2

What a lovely story and what a gorgeous little chap is Syd!  Well done for your rescue mission. My big canine passion was a Cocker Spaniel tricolour called Toby. We had him for 13 years and although he's been gone for many many  years I miss him still.   

Carole

• Like 1

All my dogs have known they were "The Dog"  but Ben could not tell the difference between his full name Benson and Branston when he was guarding the fridge.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I know that breed, I believe it's known as a "dog", mixes are always the best and usually the strongest health wise.

With our mut we often asked what she is and get a strange look when I reply "it's a dog".

Maddy had a bad hair day her entire life often when asked what she was I would say an Abyssinian wire-haired tripe hound.

(Members may recall that this is the pedigree of Gnasher, faithful companion of Dennis the Menace)

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

All my dogs have known they were "The Dog"  but Ben could not tell the difference between his full name Benson and Branston when he was guarding the fridge.

It took us ages to teach Syd to sit. He just didn't get the difference between Syd and sit. In the end we resorted to pointing a finger at his bum. He got it then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have had further communication with the owner of the litter - Btw, litter has not arrived as of yet, it seems we are classed as acceptable new owners of one of the pups so that is a hurdle cleared

So what is our new crew members name to be then?

MrsG suggested Luna or Lulu. where she got those from from I have no idea - neither has she, she just suggested them

I have suggested - 'Purdey' to MrsG, this name was not immediately rejected so it could be a goer.  Just need to run it past my boy primarily as he will be involved with the training and out in the field with her and then of course ones daughter although to be frank. its nowt to do with her.

Purdey is imho a nice girly retriever name, two syllables, rolls off the tongue nicely and will not raise any eyebrows in the field, may even raise a smile or two.  Plus I will be able to say that I honestly do own a 'Purdey' and there is the obvious link to a somewhat famous gun maker

Griff

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Purdey is imho a nice girly retriever name, two syllables, rolls off the tongue nicely and will not raise any eyebrows in the field, may even raise a smile or two.  Plus I will be able to say that I honestly do own a 'Purdey' and there is the obvious link to a somewhat famous gun maker

Griff

I think that is a great name. Apart from Joanna Lumley in the Avengers, Purdey also reminds me of another family shaggy dog story and the continuing saga of me never owning a piece from one of the great London Gun Makers.

On my paternal side my father sold his wonderful collection of guns when they left Kenya shortly before I was born in 1949.

This is from my maternal side of the family. My Great Grandfather was a wealthy farmer in Lancashire. Shortly after he died in the 1930s his Purdey went missing, stolen apparently. However my Grandmother always maintained her "black sheep" brother had it away in his luggage when he sailed from Liverpool to farm in Argentina, never to be heard of again.

As my father, mother and I were the only shooters ever to emerge from this line we got anything that was remotely connected.

Hence I have the original Purdey case, now very worn, minus the gun! I use it to carry my AYA side by side. ( which I don't use very often now ).

20200725_060527.thumb.jpg.61282176388d288af60de7c5bb5ce60e.jpg

20200725_060658.thumb.jpg.44aef303b05180531358155bf0c83f8c.jpg

20200725_060702.thumb.jpg.60930b268b818a4b489aed39017c0ee7.jpg

20200725_060709.thumb.jpg.10948a2e35f789a2f2cd110f9f5e72b4.jpg

20200725_060702.jpg

• Like 2

Having run the 'Purdey' name past family / some friends it has met with full approval, Good - That's that sorted.

Now I'm in a bit of a quandary.  September cannot now come quick enough, however I have to somehow find £2k between now and then, not helped by due to be afloat for the first two weeks in August = No income. This self employed lark does have some drawbacks

Griff

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Having run the 'Purdey' name past family / some friends it has met with full approval, Good - That's that sorted.

Now I'm in a bit of a quandary.  September cannot now come quick enough, however I have to somehow find £2k between now and then, not helped by due to be afloat for the first two weeks in August = No income. This self employed lark does have some drawbacks

Griff

Hello Griff,

After 40 years plus of being self employed I know how you feel, all you need now is an hefty tax bill to add to the pain.

Regards

Alan

I too remember it well, having been self employed for most of my adult life, It wasn't the tax bill that used to hack me off - I used to take the view that if  I'd earned the money then it was fair enough.  What used to really annoy me was the bill for national insurance for my employees.

Carole

• Like 1

No employees for me to concern mysen about thank goodness.  I'm the same with tax bills - the bigger the better as it means I've earnt it previously

The explosion in the price of pups / young dogs has to be a supply / demand scenario.  We could choose to hang on for the prices to come down but there is no guarantee they will do so.  Plus, just how long do we wait?  by the time Purdey arrives with us (Fingers firmly crossed)  it will have been 9 x months with no dog to share our lives, there is a huge hole that needs filling. Also we have one grandson in particular who is nearly three now will insist on calling out 'Macie' to every G.R he sees.  This is doing neither him or the rest of us any good whatsoever

Griff

There has also been an explosion in dog thefts by all accounts, when things settle down I can see the rescue centres being full of dogs bought by idiots during lockdown suddenly realising they don't have the time or intelligence to look after a dog, a bit like Christmas.

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

• Sad 1

@Griff, if you are thinking using a gps tracker while training your new pooch I will have one going up for sale in september when the subscription is due as Tina is now well and truly a home dog not the flighty wild street dog she once was, it's a tracktive with collar mount (works well on a harness) with two batteries and two charging  leads, I got spares so I could leave a battery and lead on the boat.

I will use it for our september hols (first two weeks) then cancel the subscription as it is due to auto renew a week later, it's given us a lot more confidence for the first off lead walkies, that first unclipping is terrifying even with a 10metre trailing lead on.

She may have dodgy recall still but it's because she is playing/scrounging/scavenging rather than looking to do a proper runner, she now knows she has a very cushy life.

tractive-gps-dog-live-tracking.gif

• Like 2

On 26/07/2020 at 10:28, Smoggy said:

There has also been an explosion in dog thefts by all accounts, when things settle down I can see the rescue centres being full of dogs bought by idiots during lockdown suddenly realising they don't have the time or intelligence to look after a dog, a bit like Christmas.

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

The local police have been leafleting around our parts regarding dog thefts. Sad really that people think it is acceptable to steal another persons animal for their own gain :default_sad:

Sadly I agree with you about the animal rescue centres as well. It is only a matter of time before they become full to breaking point with unwanted pets.

Smoggy - I've never thought about a tracker to be honest.

Purdey will be chipped (And insured of course) but gundogs wearing collars / harness is a big no no.  Macie never owned or wore one the whole of her life.  We have to train her to the gun/field without any sort of collar so a tracker wouldn't work her case but thanks for thinking of us all the same

Griff

18 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Smoggy - I've never thought about a tracker to be honest.

Purdey will be chipped (And insured of course) but gundogs wearing collars / harness is a big no no.  Macie never owned or wore one the whole of her life.  We have to train her to the gun/field without any sort of collar so a tracker wouldn't work her case but thanks for thinking of us all the same

Griff

Is it not still a legal requirement for dogs in the UK to wear a tag as well as a chip?

Just checked - And yes it is.  Apparently when in a public place a dog must display a tag stating owners name and contact details

Seems I have been and will continue be a law breaker then.

I have never yet seen any dog working in the filed wearing a collar, I wonder if there are exemptions for working dogs?

Looks like we will have to get Purdey a collar / tag for when out in public and then remove it for when she is working, best I can do as I won't put her life in danger by having a collar on her in the field

Griff

• Like 2

You are not breaking the law Griff. Just like face masks there are exemptions. 
" Emergency rescue dogs and registered guide dogs are exempt, as are dogs being used by a member of HM Armed Forces, the police or HM Customs and Excise. Sheep and cattle dogs are allowed to work without a collar, and so are hounds and gundogs."

When Purdy is 'working' you don't need the collar or tags displayed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1