Richardsons Open Until 28 November

Broads01

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Warm air generally works well on hire boats for the saloon area but is less effective in the cabins in my experience. I think its because the warm air becomes less warm and less powerful the further it travels from the heating unit. I switch off warm air when going to bed as I've always believed it's not safe to leave switched on but I'm happy to be corrected on that. 

We did ask if it was okay to leave on overnight, and was told it’s fine to do so. Noticed a few other boats had theirs running overnight and we didn’t burn to death so I guess that’s a good thing :) 

• Like 1

Hi Yes providing you have good heating many older boats don't have insulation as summer use is expected you lots of heat  is lost through drafts,  windows and no insulation but yes sitting on boat while snow or wind is blowing is very therapeutic in winter wood burner is evan better but you need a canal boat for that and it won't be a hire one. John 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

So it does appear that Richardsons are NOT hiring in November which may just leave Faircraft Loynes and Herbert Woods??

With local lockdowns coming thick and fast now, November might just be the last chance to get out. Busy now though apperently. 

plus Summercraft, Brooms and NYA Private Charter. Not many boats selling for 7th November onwards. 

• Thanks 1

Cruising on a sunny winter’s day on quiet rivers can’t be beaten, in my opinion. Evenings on a boat with shore power aren’t a problem either as we  bring a low wattage electric radiator with us. We don’t have to run the noisy heating. 

I must admit though that Moonlight Shadow is far less draughty than any hire boat we’ve been on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

boating is no fun.

Rain, I agree. Done every December for last 16 years. Magical. The only thing that will stop me this year is Covid and that's looking almost inevitable. :default_crying1animated:

9 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Evenings on a boat

....or even better in the pub Helen! :default_beerchug:

1 hour ago, Upcycler said:

For me if you need the heating on every night and an umbrella during the day, boating is no fun.

By all accounts there are a lot of regular boaters now joined by all the staycationers, many of whom enjoyed the Broads so much that they are coming back next year. Personally I prefer the quieter days and emptier moorings but to get that means going out of season which also tends to mean colder weather and darker evenings on board ... early nights snuggled down in a sleeping bag with a hot water bottle! I don't cope well with feeling cold!!! Still not sure if I can convince myself that I would truly enjoy the winter afloat but who knows ... never say never.

• Like 1

Always worth bearing in mind. Not being able to go South would be a drawback. Always done it in winter but it's necessary to juggle your dates to fit the tides with the reduced daylight. 

As has been mentioned, the peace and tranquillity is amazing. you can moor anywhere and certainly, in December, pretty much have the river to yourself. 

• Like 3

We’re on Moonlight Shadow over Christmas and really looking forward to it.  I’ve moved boats in winter for work but never for pleasure.

We’re onboard now and had strong winds and torrential rain at times but there’s not been any leaks and virtually no drafts.  For a centre cockpit this is pretty amazing and I’m very impressed.

• Like 8

On 21/10/2020 at 19:36, annv said:

Hi Yes providing you have good heating many older boats don't have insulation as summer use is expected you lots of heat  is lost through drafts,  windows and no insulation but yes sitting on boat while snow or wind is blowing is very therapeutic in winter wood burner is evan better but you need a canal boat for that and it won't be a hire one. John 

I am unaware of any hire cruiser that has any insulation, old or new. There's no space for it. 

Some Narrow boats will have some, but only on the roof and cabin sides. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

....or even better in the pub Helen! 

Yes, I'd been thinking that. However, with Covid cases rising in most areas Graham and I might try to avoid indoor public spaces as much as possible when we are on MS next week. No harm in being extra cautious given the additional areas that seem to be joining the higher risk areas on an almost daily basis.

• Like 3

True, although we have been finding that the good pubs (not your Wetherspoons etc) are run very well and staff make sure everyone sticks to the rules. It's probably safer in the Bridge Inn for example than your average supermarket. A lot of people don't wear masks in shops and are rarely challenged. We use public transport a lot as we don't drive and the same applies there sadly. 

https://beertoday.co.uk/hospitality-covid-1020/

• Like 1

I find my local Wetherspoons (2) very clued up on the rules. Everyone well spaced, people encouraged to use their app, asked to wear masks while moving around the place and stopped at the door to ensure they have completed Track and Trace. I rarely go in the evening though, so can't vouch for night time restrictions. 

• Like 1

To be fair I think it's more the customers than the staff. I dont go in them very often but from observation when I do (eg Glasshouse in Norwich) customers will try to cluster particularly as the evening wears on. This puts pressure on staff and is uncomforable for other customers. 

Paradoxically I have found that the smaller pubs are safer as they are easier to manage and customers seem more willing to stick to the rules. 

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

By all accounts there are a lot of regular boaters now joined by all the staycationers, many of whom enjoyed the Broads so much that they are coming back next year. Personally I prefer the quieter days and emptier moorings but to get that means going out of season which also tends to mean colder weather and darker evenings on board ... early nights snuggled down in a sleeping bag with a hot water bottle! I don't cope well with feeling cold!!! Still not sure if I can convince myself that I would truly enjoy the winter afloat but who knows ... never say never.

I agree Jean,  I struggle with the cold as well.    It all sounds very idyllic but you still have to get out of bed to go into a freezing cold loo.   As for these guys who have the heating on 24/7 it seems,  you want to be on our boat,  1 hr and heating goes off, hubby is always belt and braces and is always concerned about the state of the batteries.        This rain will put off a lot of folk, wet ropes, slippery surfaces,    it was all very well earlier in the year when we had that tremendous summer (what happened to that I ask, it disappeared the moment we went on holiday on the 21st August and has not been seen since.)   Howard has the right idea,  hire in the depth of winter and spend every waking hour in the warm in the pub by a roaring fire.     

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hylander said:

As for these guys who have the heating on 24/7 it seems,  you want to be on our boat,  1 hr and heating goes off, hubby is always belt and braces and is always concerned about the state of the batteries.

That's why our little electric radiator is so handy. We only use it on shore power though. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving on the boat's heating overnight. 

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Howard has the right idea,  hire in the depth of winter and spend every waking hour in the warm in the pub by a roaring fire. 

Ha! :default_beerchug:  Not quite but yes, if I had the choice of sitting on a boat in the dark when moored or being in the pub it's not too hard!!! We like to cruise as much as we can during the day athough it's suprisingly sunny quite often and you do get heat through the windows. We usually put the heating on for half an hour when we get back from the pub and then get under the duvets. If you're quick with the comfort breaks you don't get chance to get cold. Pop the heating on again before we get up. I can't say we've ever been cold and I'm sure that Mrs Nog wouldn't hesitate to let me know if she was! :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

As for these guys who have the heating on 24/7 it seems,  you want to be on our boat,  1 hr and heating goes off, hubby is always belt and braces and is always concerned about the state of the batteries.  

If only more boaters had that mindset!