Storage Needed. Riverside Or Close

MauriceMynah

I can't believe I haven't put this question to the forum before now. I can only say it reinforces my position as forum idiot. Another idiot is available, but only one!

I need a lock-up garage, or a container for the foreseeable future. It needs to be somewhere I can reasonably drive to, and I need it to store stuff. No valuables, just stuff!

Best if I say outright what I'm planning on using it for.

I plan to stay on my boat for an extended period, not a liveaboard, but close. In the summer I need somewhere to store my winter clothes and vice versa. I would park a small trailer in it too. such storage might even mean I don't need a bigger boat. but I doubt that.

Any suggestions?

Why not fit a tow bar to your cruiser, swan neck type, and have an appreciating classic in tow, handy for a bike, outboard and spare gas bottle too. If you were going to trailer anyway kill two birds with one extra boat and have a caravan by the sea when you feel like it.

Alternatively Bluebird North Walsham may have a shipping container available, they come in several sizes, recommend vacuum bagging clothing and silica sachets!

1684870785_JPEGimage.jpeg.c85e36eab624cfd494408dc05adfdbb5.jpeg

a shipplng container may solve the problem,  various sizes and prices,  contracts from a month up to 12 month,  secure and access 24hrs, you hold the key

northwalshamstorage.co.uk.      tel, 01692 406818   also known as bluebird storage

The situation.

When my sister died, I found myself homeless. A friend (Rufus) who I have mentioned in other posts, told me I could stay with him and his mother.

Although I threw out a ton of stuff, there were things I didn't want to lose, so I've kept them here.

Rufus's mother is 92 and not currently in the best of health. Rufus is in hospital and has been there for over a month now. This situation has acted as something of a wake-up call as to the fragile nature of my tenure. I have, in Rufus's house a number of paintings, a small amount of furniture some computers plus three cases of bits and pieces. I also have a small open trailer some tools and at least one box of miscellaneous, possibly two. Add to that a great stack of clothes both summer and winter.

If I had a lock-up garage or some such, I could store all this "stuff" in plastic containers. and Robert is your mothers brother, but in no way will even a fraction of it would fit into a 27' Elysian, and even if I bought a much larger boat, the problem would remain.

42 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

So where are you going to be in the winter if not on the boat but need storage near the Broads, might help with useful suggestions.

When one is homeless, it is a tad tricky to tell where one will be at any time, let alone any particular season.

1 hour ago, gancanny said:

a shipplng container may solve the problem,  various sizes and prices,  contracts from a month up to 12 month,  secure and access 24hrs, you hold the key

northwalshamstorage.co.uk.      tel, 01692 406818   also known as bluebird storage

I have contacted them, but I suspect they will be a bit on the pricey side.

10 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Alternatively Bluebird North Walsham may have a shipping container available, they come in several sizes, recommend vacuum bagging clothing and silica sachets!

Good idea, where do I get the Silica from?

11 hours ago, ChrisB said:

We thought we may need some self-storage and were told Manor Farm in Ingham did storage. As it happened we managed without.

They seem to store caravans but don't appear to be geared up for regular access.

Well, that's the long and short of it.

All suggestions welcome (though some more than others.)

Guest Jayfire
18 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I need a lock-up garage, or a container for the foreseeable future

How about RHT Eminem? They are in Potter Heigham so close to the boat (if that was what you were intending).

No idea on prices, but they are very well rated on reviews so may be worth a call

RHT Storage

Silica bags are available from amazon- various sizes and what not. 

I got a couple of large ones a few years ago for in the car - it’s a rag top so I wanted to be sure nothing was amiss- something like these work a treat. They come out of the outer bag, put them in your oven on low for a couple of hours every few months and they are as good as new. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seal-Products-Damp-Eater-anti-humidity/dp/B00AZZB5UY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=silica+bags+for+moisture&qid=1597084284&sprefix=silica+bags&sr=8-7

Good luck MM! 

• Like 1

MM try phoning the local housing association, they have the old council garages, would be Victory Housing in north Norfolk, if over the drawbridge I.e, that bridge then maybe try Great Yarmouth council? Might be a waiting list for either but many a classic car has been saved consequent of affordability to rent the under cover storage. And it’s good luck!

That is a good idea - a Housing Association/Council garage would probably be cheaper than a storage unit - slight downside is that up here in flat cap land they tend to get broken into, not sure if you could get any insurance. Would be cheaper for a longer term solution I would imagine.  

I'm wondering what sort of size exactly is needed though, are we talking wardrobe, large cupboard, garden shed, garage?? I wonder if a friendly pub or boatyard might be willing to provide a corner in one of their outbuildings. Wouldn't work if round the clock access is needed though. 

Just now, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Wouldn`t you need to prove that you pay council tax though?

Up here among the ferrets it was possible to rent a 'private let' but I don't know if that would apply in Norfolk. Councils will have different policies, probably based on demand. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I can't believe I haven't put this question to the forum before now. I can only say it reinforces my position as forum idiot. Another idiot is available, but only one!

Unless policies have changed recently both Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations allow residential boaters to over winter. Not what you want but I do know of one 'older' residential boater who's plight was reported to Welfare. Welfare very quickly found suitable accommodation for the old boy. He still goes off boating during the summer!  A devious plan perhaps?

Re self storage, a grand or so a year. Come the autumn you could buy 'new' winter gear from the charity shops, that could be a plan worth considering! You'd have to really go some to spend even half a grand on replacement cloths and we'd all think you a real dandy!

Whilst I can offer you some storage space, a couple of Volvo Estate's worth. I can also offer you a car parking space for the summer whilst you are gadding about the Broads. I wish that I could do more. 

Suggesting suitable winter accommodation for retired gentlefolk is no easy task around here, unless you are loaded!   

• Like 1

Some interesting points raised here and thank you all for raising them.

There was a plot of land that was up for sale near the railway line close to Oulton Broad. Some of you may remember I showed an interest in it. As I find out more about the cost of storage, buying that land and if necessary putting a couple of sheds on it, starts to make more sense. I know it didn't sell at auction but I have no idea what did happen to it, nor do I know how to find out!

Any other small packets of land coming on the market I would be interested in too, to do the same thing.

Security is not a real problem as there will be little of value stored there

Obviously there are other issues in my personal life that dictate what I can and cannot do, but equally I doubt there are any here, who would either want or expect a full explanation here of my life so far.

My main problem at the moment is that I'm stuck here in Harlow, trying to achieve results in Norfolk with just the phone and this laptop as my line of communication.

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Whilst I can offer you some storage space, a couple of Volvo Estate's worth. I can also offer you a car parking space for the summer whilst you are gadding about the Broads. I wish that I could do more. 

Peter, That is a very kind offer and I have to admit that parking the car is one I would very much like to take you up on. Do you have any use for a trailer?  :-)

John, re that plot of land against Lake Lothing, it didn't make its asking price and the Auctioneers have asked people with any interest to get in touch with them. There might be ownership worries re the boundary against the railway. A very close look at the legal pack is strongly recommended. Should you buy that land, in principle probably ideal, then you might consider buying a second boat as storage, effectively a static floating shed.

Your car & trailer will be welcome. I might be glad to borrow the trailer occasionally albeit rarely, mine is very small.

1 hour ago, wombat nee blownup said:

And if he does buy a second boat to use as the storage lock up. Could somebody please please please record MM reversing the trailer into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 1