Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

25 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Pegasus sold? Wow, that’s taken a while bearing in mind boats seem to have been shifting quite quickly this year. I wonder if it will get some sort of safety rail at the stern - if there’s room. 

It was advertised at 80k, cheap for a two year old boat.  But, I believe it was all electric, with a combi microwave doubling as an oven.  I think it could be expensive to maintain and reliance on battery power for cooking, restrict its usability unless always moored near electric points.

Still each to their own, I guess, but for me it was too tall, ugly and impractical.

27 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

But, I believe it was all electric, with a combi microwave doubling as an oven.  I think it could be expensive to maintain and reliance on battery power for cooking, restrict its usability unless always moored near electric points.

Doesn't say much for our other discussions, about the future of electric boats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Doesn't say much for our other discussions, about the future of electric boats.

I remember reading the reviews of the boat on the Hoseasons website.  They were less than complimentary.  And I even if it was fitted with fancy batteries, the replacement costs will likely be horrendous.

Not for me, I’m afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

Just a thought. Was the 15m limit set as part of EU harmonisation rules? Now we have left the EU could the BA increase this?

I don't think there'd be an appetite for it? Although it probably does harmonise with EU guidance, 46' x 12'6" is a sensible limit. 

Longer than that and you wouldn't turn it at Dilham, wider and you wouldn't be able to moor it at Neatishead Staithe (well you could but no-one would be able to get past you).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

It was advertised at 80k, cheap for a two year old boat.  But, I believe it was all electric, with a combi microwave doubling as an oven.  I think it could be expensive to maintain and reliance on battery power for cooking, restrict its usability unless always moored near electric points.

Still each to their own, I guess, but for me it was too tall, ugly and impractical.

I remember reading a review from someone who had hired it. They found they needed to use shore power too often, couldn’t find free electric posts and ended up going home early I believe! 

I think it was just poor design.

It had something like 6kw of inverter capacity, all electric cooking etc but then a single alternator and three domestic batteries.

The person who specced the electrics perhaps lacked an understanding of the need to put back into the batteries every day at least the same amount that you take from them.

People just don't understand electrics, in reality. I remember in syndicate another owner commenting that the reason we couldn't use heaters on the inverter was because the boat was 'old'. I reminded them that it had been rewired the year before, and that the laws of physics were the reason.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I think I am right that 46 ft (15 metres) is a maximum length as well.  It certainly is in France, where anything longer is considered as a hotel barge and has to have a professional skipper.

Aren’t the Barns Brinkcraft Emperors 48’ and they have been around for sometime I believe. 

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I think it was just poor design.

It had something like 6kw of inverter capacity, all electric cooking etc but then a single alternator and three domestic batteries.

The person who specced the electrics perhaps lacked an understanding of the need to put back into the batteries every day at least the same amount that you take from them.

People just don't understand electrics, in reality. I remember in syndicate another owner commenting that the reason we couldn't use heaters on the inverter was because the boat was 'old'. I reminded them that it had been rewired the year before, and that the laws of physics were the reason.

So true.

In some ways, I actually quite liked the Pegasus (Vogue 27), in that the internal layout was quite good - modern looking with a good berth layout.

But externally, it was a few feet too short, both at the front and the back, that made it look both odd and the safety issue at the back, with no transom or rail.

I guess they took a 30ft boat layout and cut some length from the bow and stern to get it to under 26ft long but retain the internal size. An interesting attempt but it doesn't quite work.

15 metres is just over 49ft. The Grand Classique (Crown Cruisers and now Le Boat?) is 14.63 metres which is just about 48ft. Connoisseurs Magnifique is slightly shorter at 14.5 metres (47.5ft). Both are 13' 5" wide.

Didn't Alphacraft have a bathtub listed at 50ft?

7 minutes ago, webntweb said:

(Crown Cruisers and now Le Boat?) is 14.63 metres which is just about 48ft.

It's only a small point but the Grand Classique is exactly 15 metres overall length.  We had to include the protrusion of the rubbing strakes over the bow and stern, or the French authorities would have thrown it out!

• Like 1

The largest boat in the Le boat fleet I believe are currently the Vision classes at 15m or 49ft not sure of the width however I suspect around 13ft.  These were brought in when they closed the Porter Haylett boat building facility I vaguely remember Benetau being mentioned. The Broads limit for general use is 46ft x 12ft 6 although you can have bigger it just isn't allowed down the Chet and various other Areas. Brooms and NYA have wider boats with restrictions. Brinks Emperor is 48 ft and Mirage/Brabazon at Alpha were 50ft although they were built around 1992, the Ba brought in the restrictions partly because of these craft and the rules apply to craft built from 1993 I believe. Nothing  to do with you the EU as far as I'm aware.

Neil 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, andyg said:

I think the upper front windows are just cosmetic. It's definitely a re work of the original boat. I don't really like much of what len has had designed, but I've absolutely no doubt it will be fitted out to a very high standard. Which is typically what he does, don't think you could fault him on that. These boats do seem to be very popular both at NBD and ferry..

It's not rework of anything. This is a Vogue 45/46 (not sure of the length). It's brand new. It was initially thought that Broads Boating Company would operate these (given that it's the same business owner), but that operator has long since gone now. This design has taken quite some time to appear and the initial "artists impressions" were very "strange" but quite reminiscent of the Funnel designs and come from the same designer. 

I will be keen to see just what this offers in the final fit out which is sure to be quite something knowing James' and Len's eyes for detail. 

It's good to see new development continuing on the Broads. 

• Like 1

We hired 'Pegasus' last year for a week in October, not a bad boat for the price but we did have issues.

All electric combi oven/microwave/hob setup which after a few days entirely drained the batteries, which couldn't/wouldn't charge up again with the engine running even at full revs. Subsequently lost the electric flush, electric heating, electric shower pump etc etc.... Only way we could get anything to work was on shore power.

Even the guys at Waveney River Centre gave up trying to fix it after a few hours and we just carried on the rest of our holiday making the best of a bad situation.

If the issues are sorted, I'm sure it'll make a lovely boat for someone.

• Like 2