BA To Appoint Independent Person To Promote Ethical Standards

NorfolkNog

• NorfolkNog changed the title to BA To Appoint Independent Person To Promote Ethical Standards

In principle a creditable move but will anyone listen to such a person let alone take any criticism onboard? I'm sure that they will, provided it strengthens that man's level of control but otherwise I really do doubt it. There have been at least two incidents when Authority members stood up for what is right, both members being shown the door but both subsequently finding a way back in, (Knight & Hempsal). The Act dates back to2011, does that mean that the BA has taken nine years to respond? Another, pointless seat polisher? That man does nothing unless it helps his cause, another tool of control. This new position should not be needed.

11 minutes ago, Heron said:

Is promoting an area as a National Park, when it is not a National Park, an example of low ethical standards? I believe it is, the new job holder could become very busy.

Ho ho ho, underhand and manipulative control won't come under the heading of ethics! It should, but it won't :default_sad:.

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Are these requirements due to EU doctrines ?

There seems to be nationwide a rush to fulfil all these EU rules and regulations before the January deadline when we won’t need to follow them anymore ?

:34_rolling_eyes:

Another matter which, like straight bananas has nothing to do with the EU, and never die !

Rather it arose from The Lib Con coalition, about which I will hold my tongue !

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/5959/1896534.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a full time job - more in line with that of members with a lot of meetings to attend including at neighbouring Authorities - if appointed under the strict criteria laid out could be successful.

Incidentally full National Park Status moves a step forward with the issue of this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-national-parks-and-thousands-of-green-jobs-under-plans-to-build-back-greener?utm_source=4247d3fc-a408-40a3-92c0-7a4786af2c42&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

More details any day ( open the links)

31 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Not a full time job - more in line with that of members with a lot of meetings to attend including at neighbouring Authorities - if appointed under the strict criteria laid out could be successful.

Incidentally full National Park Status moves a step forward with the issue of this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-national-parks-and-thousands-of-green-jobs-under-plans-to-build-back-greener?utm_source=4247d3fc-a408-40a3-92c0-7a4786af2c42&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

More details any day ( open the links)

but those national parks will be more on the american national park system where individual parks can have additional provisions under their governance so in essemnce the broads navigation would have to be built into the governance under its national park status. they would not necessarily be run under the current national park rules.

Despite what some of the above comments imply it is not a full-time job role or a requirement that the authority has taken 9 years to respond to.

This role receives a very modest annual allowance (sub £1000) and is required by all local authorities under the Localism Act 2011.

It is not a new role, nor is it specific to the Broads Authority, it is just perhaps the first time we have advertised it on our social media. If you wish to read the same advert from 2016, here it is - https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/appointment-of-independent-persons-for-the-broads-authority

From speaking to my colleagues in the Governance team I believe there was a 'retirement'.

Here is the relevant section of the act - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/20/section/28/enacted

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

Tom, if someone has been in this role prevously, how has the falsehood regarding the Broads National Park been allowed?

to help promote and maintain high ethical standards among its Members and Co-opted Members

Edited by Heron
Addition of information

What I find distasteful about this is that it appears to apply solely to the Authority members but seemingly not to the Authority officers or its executive. I'm sure that Tom will correct me if I am wrong.  

The ethics by which we now have a self declared, quasi national park are less than creditable, Heron has raised an entirely valid point. 

• Like 1

MM, not sure I fully understand your point. As I understand the way BA and the NBN work, Tom is the BA spokesperson with regard to the forum. Therefore I ask him the question. I know Tom does not call the tune, all I ask of him is the question.