South Walsham Inner Broad

LizG

Following another thread it has been noted that the entrance to the inner broad is currently closed off with bouys.  The BA have said they were not aware of this and are speaking with the landowner to get it re-opened.

It would be wrong to speculate the reason until that is actually known

• Thanks 4

South Walsham Broad is nice place to go for Mud  Weighting for lunch or for over night stay but there's restriction on how far you can go as to the one half of it is  Shallow as there's a few signs saying it's Shallow plus object's In the water so  what are the hell is theses people up too? 

Just having a quick look at the link and assuming I am reading it correctly,  it looks as if the landowner doesn't allow fishing on the inner Broad. Looks like they've had altercations with fishermen and as a result have closed the navigation. Wasn't there a similar situation on Horsey Mere recently?  Also looks like there has been some challenge as if this can be done in tidal waters. Also interesting to note our old friend JM appears to be on there. Not seen him on here for a while though :default_sad:

• Like 1

Years ago it used to be that you can cruise around the inner broad, but not stop / moor / anchor / fish as it was, and presumably still is, private. Maybe these rules were abused / ignored?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Helian said:

Years ago it used to be that you can cruise around the inner broad, but not stop / moor / anchor / fish as it was, and presumably still is, private. Maybe these rules were abused / ignored?

That has always been my understanding.

It should also be noted that both South Walsham Broads are NOT tidal. The NTL is at Bondon's basin next to MarineTec. Put simply Fleet Dyke is tidal, the broads it leads to are not.

• Like 1

I read the post on Facebook and it does sound as if people have been ignoring the rules. Once all the staff had gone home what would there be to stop anyone staying there overnight or even using the boat trip area to tie up and get off. 

Being tidal has nothing to do with it. It's whether or not there is a right of access gained in the past..

The landowner can set the rules as to fishing whether or not you have right of access. These are man made Broads therefore the landowner has all rights except right of access . For instance, Black horse broad open to the public but see the bottom of the sign..   

image.png

I often see boats mudweighted on Black Horse Broad - I've done it mysen and on a few occasions rafted up with other forumites boats

IAW the sign I have never berthed alongside anywhere there.

Are we 'technically' as per the sign allowed to mudweight on Black Horse Broad?

One Berths alongside terra firma or Moors to a buoy but what about anchoring / mudweighting? No mention of that on the sign.

I've also mudweighted and fished in Wroxham Broad too without any adverse consequences :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

26 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I often see boats mudweighted on Black Horse Broad - I've done it mysen and on a few occasions rafted up with other forumites boats

IAW the sign I have never berthed alongside anywhere there.

Are we 'technically' as per the sign allowed to mudweight on Black Horse Broad?

One Berths alongside terra firma or Moors to a buoy but what about anchoring / mudweighting? No mention of that on the sign.

I've also mudweighted and fished in Wroxham Broad too without any adverse consequences :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

As far as I know mudweighting is permitted on Black Horse Broad, it's the fishing and shooting rights that are reserved for the Blofield Family and whoever they wish to permit to do it.

Wroxham Broad has been  leased by the sailing club from Trafford Estates since 1937,  There is no right of Navigation on the broad and normally it's officially closed for 1 day a year.

However the club do allow navigation, I don't think they'd be impressed if you mudweighted  in the way of the sailing though. Who has control of the fishing rights I don't know.

11 hours ago, Helian said:

As I stated earlier we have seen lots of boats mud weighting and fishing on the inner broad particularly in the top right hand corner. 

"Doing" and "permitted" are not necessarily the same thing ...

Anyway maybe things have changed, my recollection was going back 45-50 years ago when my family used to keep our boat in Ray Bondon's basin. 

Interesting about it becoming non tidal there, I didn't know.

Is the Broads Authority getting in touch with the South Walsham Broads Owners  to solving this issues could it be Fishing or is it People rowing on to Fairhaven or is the People Living around the South Walsham Broads having Ant Social behaviour? What ever it is I do hope it will be sorted out between both parties soon 

I’m sure a statement will be released in due time , I have contacted The Fairhaven Trust through Lord Fairhaven direct (have know him for over thirty years) ; he was not personally aware of this, but has little to do with the trust nowadays and is merely a figure head .He has assured me he will make a call to those concerned and get the information concerning the closure and its details released through their public domain but not to expect anything instantaneously as “these things take time”.

• Like 2

Although I definitely don't agree with people abusing the rules on the inner broad, we did notice last September that the signs were not particularly noticable and not in the best of shape.

With the influx of first-timers last season and probably this year too, I'm not that surprised that there have been issues. I have known the rules for Black Horse and South Walsham since forever (yes you can mudweight on Black Horse as far as I understand it, else I'm a very naughty boy) but newcomers will not.

• Like 2