Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Look What I've Found!


Recommended Posts

I know it's a "few" weeks away before we return to the Broads after a long absence but it's hard not to get excited even this far in advance! So I've been having a bit of a rummage through some boxes in the loft (as you do) and look what I found!!  They were certainly useful when we were on the Broads all those years ago so that's something else to take!  We did have a brilliant map of the Broads as well which being ex army, I folded in such a way that we could use it as we went along on the boat.  Haven't re-discovered that yet (I think it might have been an OS map).  We've also still got our self inflating life jackets but I need to renew the gas canister in each of them.

Chris

 

Broads Tide Calculator.jpg

Slack water times.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

I know it's a "few" weeks away before we return to the Broads after a long absence but it's hard not to get excited even this far in advance! So I've been having a bit of a rummage through some boxes in the loft (as you do) and look what I found!!  They were certainly useful when we were on the Broads all those years ago so that's something else to take!  We did have a brilliant map of the Broads as well which being ex army, I folded in such a way that we could use it as we went along on the boat.  Haven't re-discovered that yet (I think it might have been an OS map).  We've also still got our self inflating life jackets but I need to renew the gas canister in each of them.

Chris

 

Broads Tide Calculator.jpg

Slack water times.jpg

I always take mine with me on our visits to the Broads, they are invaluable to calculate passage through Yarmouth in conjunction with the Broads Authority tide tables on higher air draft vessels.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others we too have a couple of these and at times they have been so handy.   I always take them with me even if we do not use them.    So simple and yet so effective and what is much much better is - no ruddy App to get to use it.       Whatever did we do before these useless Apps.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Like others we too have a couple of these and at times they have been so handy.   I always take them with me even if we do not use them.    So simple and yet so effective and what is much much better is - no ruddy App to get to use it.       Whatever did we do before these useless Apps.

We tended to use our brains Monica. I do not use any Apps and cringe when ever I hear the word instead of application, I put it down to age :default_norty:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you can count me in - so that is 2 of us.    I wonder how many more.   Loads I should imagine.

Another thing I hate is when people instead of saying,  as soon as possible, you get ,  I do that asap.   I mean to say what has happened to the English language.      A what is this sic business.   sick to me is vomit.   Thinking about it that is probably the effect it has.  I digress,  sorry.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I thought sic  (usually written in italics) was from some Latin phrase that meant "the error is intentional, let it stand". Sorry about the quoites, they just appeared and I can't get rid!

 

It does indeed , from the Latin word sic which translates as so thus , or , in this manner 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with MM (as usual :default_smiley-angelic002:) but we are talking of different things.

Sick has entered the vernacular to mean impressive, or cool. At least I think so!

Sic is indeed from the latin and is usually used when quoting something as it was written, although the quote is not itself grammatical.

Thass loik when oi reckun these yunguns don't half talk a load of ol' squit (sic).

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having worked in the secure environment for over 10 years before retiring, my knowledge of the "modern" english language increased somewhat dramatically over the years!  Terms like "innit" and "you get me" were just some of the words/phrases that cropped up continuously and those particular two terms really grated on me!!  But coming back on topic :default_biggrin: I have downloaded the AWeigh app onto my phone just to see how efficient it will be in Sept.  I don't mind using apps if they're useful and fit for purpose but I agree with the thought of good old fashioned ways of doing things (belt and braces comes to mind!!).

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree CC, but some of 'management speak' really gets my goat. The latest one is 'on boarding'. For goodness sake! I'm convinced that some people just use the latest favourite phrases to hide the fact that they haven't a clue what they are talking about. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I agree CC, but some of 'management speak' really gets my goat. The latest one is 'on boarding'. For goodness sake! I'm convinced that some people just use the latest favourite phrases to hide the fact that they haven't a clue what they are talking about. 

Never a truer words spoken.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a new manager who talks in senior management language and acronyms all the time. I keep having to ask him to translate it for me. Thematic analysis combined with socialising outcomes and ensuring specificity. 😂

Two things that irritate me - “my bad” … no, you mean mistake. And “bear with” … no, you mean bear with me!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.