Beauchamp Arms

vanessan

A few days ago we passed the Beauchamp Arms on our way up to Norwich. There was a lot of work going on, paving slabs being laid and tables and chairs being stacked. When we came by yesterday, there are a number of bench tables all laid out and covered areas with the tables and chairs under. It really does look as if the place is going to be open again soon. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like it opens this weekend for drinks (no mention of food), seems as if it is aimed for the locals with live comedy and music nights, film nights, breakfast yoga classes, pottery classes, art gallery space, car shows and other ideas, yep road has had some work with more to follow and mention of work planned for the moorings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

If they are aiming at the locals that sounds like a good plan, maybe more sustainable than passing traffic, provided they’ve improved the road to the pub. I gather it used to be a bit pot-holey.

Indeed. It used to be worse than the A14..... 

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

I see in the EDP this morning that the BA planning department are going to prosecute the pub (again!)  for removal of the static caravans round the back and there is some sort of fuss as well about lamp standards and a bit of paving.  The response from the landlord is that the caravans are occupied by vulnerable people who work in the operation of the pub.

I wonder what is going on here, and how much toll payers' money is going to be spent, again, on tilting at legal windmills?  The BA planning dept have quite a lot of "previous" where this sort of thing is concerned.  I am thinking of course, of Jenner's Basin, as well as the notorious "yurt - gate" saga at the WRC.  There was also the "change of use" of a telephone box.

It says these caravans have been there since 2005.  Isn't it a bit late now, in planning law, to try and evict them after 17 years of residential use?  I have been past the pub and stopped and walked around the front in recent years but have never noticed these caravans round the back.  They certainly don't spoil the view from the river.

This is a famous and important pub on a river where there are now few places to welcome boating traffic for the night. As a boat owner and toll payer, I would expect the BA to make every effort to support its successful re-opening for the benefit of all concerned, rather than squander our money on what appears to be yet another of their planning witch hunts.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . As a boat owner and toll payer, I would expect the BA to make every effort to support its successful re-opening for the benefit of all concerned, rather than squander our money on what appears to be yet another of their planning witch hunts.

My feelings exactly.  I wonder how the costs of pursuing the owner in court compare to the cost of maintaining Barton Turf moorings for the use of the toll payers.

• Like 7

We have taken walks past Berney Arms last year and this year, and the number of caravans on that site are proliferating there too, and the main building is looking more and more tatty. Did I read on another thread that Berney is owned by the same guy that owns Beauchamp? 

• 1 year later...

Cruised past The Beauchamp Arms a short while ago and noticed that new measures have been installed to attract passing visitors.  It’s now closed to visiting boats with a copious length of HERAS fencing.

IMG_0336.jpeg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . It has to be the least enticing pub I can think of anywhere.

Agreed!  In all the years I’ve been visiting The Broads, I’ve never set foot in the place.  There’s something about it that just doesn’t encourage me in.  Mr Hollocks clearly has another cunning plan in mind.  No doubt we’ll read all about it in due course in the EDP.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 09:46, YnysMon said:

We have taken walks past Berney Arms last year and this year, and the number of caravans on that site are proliferating there too, and the main building is looking more and more tatty. Did I read on another thread that Berney is owned by the same guy that owns Beauchamp? 

And Loddon Marina.  Just think how attractive that is when you walk past!

19 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Agreed!  In all the years I’ve been visiting The Broads, I’ve never set foot in the place.  There’s something about it that just doesn’t encourage me in.  Mr Hollocks clearly has another cunning plan in mind.  No doubt we’ll read all about it in due course in the EDP.

Hi.  Don't post on here very often anymore.  But, years ago the Berney was run by two blokes.  What with their welcome and the dog running down the stairs to greet everyone.  It was very welcoming and the moorings were looked after.  From memory it started to go downhill when they left.  Some have tried and failed since to make it a going concern though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I’ve heard it said that, once profits started to be made the rent was increased which eventually made it unsustainable. 

I was under the impression that the pub was owned by Mr Hollocks, so how would increased rent be applicable if that is the case?

6 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I was under the impression that the pub was owned by Mr Hollocks, so how would increased rent be applicable if that is the case?

It was the tennants he was ripping off, I've heard it directly from 2 different sets of former tennants of the berney, I've also seen hollicks senior storm out of a pub when the people he was eating with asked why he suddenly priced the last proper tennant out.

Unfortunately it seems to run in the family.