Norwich Yacht Station

Andrewcook

Two idiots on Tuesday evening at the Norwich Yacht Station unroping the Moored up Boats Two of them at 2am which was caught on the security camera being reported in  the Norfolk News paper as police are stepping up patrols for peace of mind to the Holiday Boaters who came to see this this beautiful Norwich city with out fear of being moored up at the Yacht Station over night . I would suggest to using the Mudwight being put out for assurence .

If you moor at the extreme end of the yacht station where there are a couple of electric posts rather than posts there are mooring rings. So tie up through the the rings and then back to the boat, if the warps are long enough then tie off on the river side of the boat so it  is more difficult to untie the boat.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

If you moor at the extreme end of the yacht station where there are a couple of electric posts rather than posts there are mooring rings. So tie up through the the rings and then back to the boat, if the warps are long enough then tie off on the river side of the boat so it  is more difficult to untie the boat.

All the posts at NYS have rings welded to the top. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

All the posts at NYS have rings welded to the top. 

And have had for some considerable time. I can imagine after last night’s success, there was a lot of imbibing resulting in silly antics. If boats had moored as instructed/suggested, none would have been set loose without their occupants knowing. 

14 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Until they carry a Stanley knife. 
what about fencing in the yacht station and redirect the footpath around. 

This is why we always moored with all four ropes tied back onto the boat on the rivers. They might cut one or two ropes but they are unlikely to hang around long enough to cut all four without being noticed. 

We were perhaps just lucky but we didn't have any ropes cut or get set adrift in 13 years of boat ownership despite mooring in some pretty unsavory places at times.

When mooring at the yacht station we have always been advised by the attendants with the advice given above reference the mooring ropes and use of mudweight. These incidents are usually alcohol related but I suspect with clubs still being closed due to Covid then there may have been a drugs use connection.

In addition to extra caution in mooring it is also wise to bring inside deck gear.

Fred

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Why wasn’t the gate shut and locked, when you moored up you use to get a code to open it if you were late back.  

They haven’t been closing or locking the gate recently due to covid. I think it’s about time that changed.

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

If we are able to moor where there is a safety ladder, overnight we thread a rope through the steps and back onto the boat. Foolproof - until that aforementioned stanley knife comes along!

No you are not supposed to cover a safety ladder!!!

I hope you don't fall in and have climb out between a heavy moving boat and a fixed bank then scramble over a mooring rope to get to safety.

I would make that mooring illegal.

paul

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

No you are not supposed to cover a safety ladder!!!

I hope you don't fall in and have climb out between a heavy moving boat and a fixed bank then scramble over a mooring rope to get to safety.

I would make that mooring illegal.

paul

I didn’t say anything at all about covering a safety ladder and I’m surprised and disappointed you would immediately jump to that conclusion. It is perfectly feasible to use the hand rails of a safety ladder without covering the steps, in fact with a decent length rope you don’t have to be anywhere near the ladder itself. We would NEVER moor across steps and it really annoys me when people do. It also annoys me when people assume something without clarifying first. 

• Like 2

Sorry for that then, but even posting about tying to a safety ladder would give some the wrong idea.

I must admit when I saw it was you I was surprised.

But you do state a mooring rope through the steps.

So a better explanation from you may clarify what you mean.

I have seen someone trying to get out at Loddon with a boat tied to the ladder, it took 3 of use to help.

paul