For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

On 25/10/2022 at 15:05, grendel said:

on the parking apps, they do allow at some ringo sites to connect via a computer when you get home and pay retrospectively, you have to input the time you arrived and left.

And I used to drop my cash into the tub at the Dartford tunnel/bridge and enjoy seeing it sort itself out as it hot gobbled up. 
Of course, coming over the bridge on Friday and having so much on my mind with my mums death, I completely forgot to pay till too late, so now I’ve incurred a penalty charge. Hope they have an appeal process. I remembered 6 hours too late. Hey ho, that’s life but unnecessarily complicated when it was straightforward before. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

And I used to drop my cash into the tub at the Dartford tunnel/bridge and enjoy seeing it sort itself out as it hot gobbled up. 

I've not been through the Dartford tunnel but I have a similar recollection at the Severn Bridge (toll-free nowadays). I used to call it "chuck it in a bucket" and there was satisfaction in it somehow. One day, we'll reminisce about how Broads mooring fees were collected in cash before online payments were the norm( which they already are on the Thames at Cliveden and Henley). 

On 25/10/2022 at 10:34, Smoggy said:

I do wonder if anyone selling food products can legally refuse cash, it is the legal currency of the UK, everything else is just an iou based on it.

Anybody selling anything can refuse to accept cash if they wish. It is their choice. 

Part of the confusion comes from the term "legal tender" If something is "legal tender" then it cannot be refused as payment for a court awarded debt.

So when is "legal tender" not "legal tender"? One and two pence coins are only legal tender to settle a debt up to 20p, to settle a debt over 20p they are not!!

11 hours ago, kpnut said:

Of course, coming over the bridge on Friday and having so much on my mind with my mums death, I completely forgot to pay till too late, so now I’ve incurred a penalty charge. Hope they have an appeal process. I remembered 6 hours too late. Hey ho, that’s life but unnecessarily complicated when it was straightforward before. 

If it's your 'first offence' or your registration numbers first offence, you normally just have to pay the outstanding charge with no penalty. 

When I have a car on the back of my transporter I have to remember to remove it's rear number plate or they try to charge me for it even though I have paid for the vehicle carrying it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Meantime said:

Anybody selling anything can refuse to accept cash if they wish. It is their choice. 

Part of the confusion comes from the term "legal tender" If something is "legal tender" then it cannot be refused as payment for a court awarded debt.

So when is "legal tender" not "legal tender"? One and two pence coins are only legal tender to settle a debt up to 20p, to settle a debt over 20p they are not!!

I thought non legal tender was a dinghy with no toll paid and legal tender was when you paid it.

• Haha 8

There is a Hotel/Pub locally to where I live that is cashless. Also Tottenham Hotspur's new stadiums bars are cashless and for those who find debit cards a struggle, their minds will be blown there when their pint is served upside down by being injected through the lid of their plastic 'glass'.

I am the opposite, I rarely have any cash on me whatsoever and so mooring at Womack is a problem as they only accept cash.

The hotel where I work is about to go cashless. The only time I have cash is pound coins to pay for water for the boat and £5 for the dog’s nail trim.  I went to Aldi for the first time the other week to see what its like but didnt have a £1 for the trolley so went back to Tesco as usual.  I was a bit astounded by the ever developing technology when my son just had to wave his watch in front of the ticket machine to pay for parking  at the hospital the other day.  

It’s now possible to have your heart pacemaker tweaked and upgraded remotely while you sit in your home. So if they can do that, why not renew an implanted credit card in the same manner? All this use of tech is a bit beyond necessary surely?

5 hours ago, Lulu said:

The hotel where I work is about to go cashless. The only time I have cash is pound coins to pay for water for the boat and £5 for the dog’s nail trim.  I went to Aldi for the first time the other week to see what its like but didnt have a £1 for the trolley so went back to Tesco as usual.  I was a bit astounded by the ever developing technology when my son just had to wave his watch in front of the ticket machine to pay for parking  at the hospital the other day.  

Go into Aldi and ask if they have a token for the trolley. We have a blue plastic trolley token that we got from either Lidl or Aldi and keep in the car for such eventualities. 

• Like 2