Hip Replacement

when my mother had a fall and broke her hip and had it replaced, after the initial recovery period, then she actually had improved mobility for a while (she is 91 now, so mobility can be an issue anyway), you just have to take it as it comes though.

One of my oldest sailing friends had a hip replaced in 2017. He has sailed at National and International level for decades and still does in his early 70s.

However after the Op he religiously followed the exercise regime given and paid for extra fitness and physio. 

Everyone is different but he suffered very little from balance problems which can effect some people quite badly. Because of his boating activities his private fitness regime included a lot of Stability exercise.

To be fair a broads holiday isn't ideal for the less mobile. I've seen so many ppl struggle getting on and off boats and not always elderly folk by the way. I've often wondered what was going through there head when booking the boat. I have relatives whom have had hip replacements and have recovered well. Personally I'd give it a go if it was me but I'd choose my boat very  carefully, low transom single level floor etc etc. Plan for mooring stern on only all that type of thing. 

My late wife had a hip operation about six weeks before we were due to go on a Broads holiday, around 10 years ago now. As has been said, it's vital that all the exercises are carried out religiously. I remember that the six week recuperation period, where you have to be extra careful not to strain the new joint, ended the day of the holiday. She loved Yarmouth and wanted to visit. I was apprehensive as we know the rise and fall can make it a bit of an obstacle course, but she wanted to go. The river level was low so we moored up next to a ladder. She had no hesitation (or difficulty) in climbing the ladder, and getting ashore. So yes, when all things are equal, you can get back to a pretty normal level of mobility..... but don't take any risks in that first six weeks. 

Andrew, we always hired forward steer one level boats. Not sure if it was just preference but my wife didn't like getting on a stern moored boat with a bathing platform, due to the need to step across to the deck part at some states of the tide. 

My Mother had a hip replacement the same time as a lady across the road my mother followed all the exercises and had no issues but the lady across the road did very little because it was painful she ended up house bound while mother was very mobile. No pain no gain. John

• 4 months later...

Good to hear you are recovering well 👍 Once you've stern moored tying up shouldn't be too much of a problem. There may be some bending to be done but generally you are in a secure position and won't feel you have to rush.

If you run your stern ropes ashore and then back to the boat's cleats to tie off then you should be able to cast off without leaving the boat at all... being careful against ropes falling in near your prop of course! 

• Like 2

Securing the boat at its mooring should not be difficult, avoid boat tug of war, a couple of round turns on the post should suffice, or a cleat, let the boat do the work. When stationery tie the boat off.

Talking about "off" getting on and off especially in tidal waters can be a bit problematic.

Preparation is the key, no jumps or leaps

35 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, I had my total Right Hip done in June this year I'm coming along with my new Hip. Now I've Booked a Boat with a Back end for Stern on Mooring and easy excess on and off the Boat but what about tie-in up the Boat is this easy to do?

Only being able to stern moor does create a shortage of available moorings.  You need to assess your own abilities and determine whether you could side moor if stern mooring wasn't possible.  It may be very disappointing for you if you were no longer able to have a holiday afloat, but better that than to struggle and possibly put yourself in danger imho.

Hi Andrew 

Reverse the boat to the Quay heading and when it touches leave it in reverse on tick over and you have as much time as you want 

When you leave the mooring start the engine click into reverse on tick over then go back and untie your boat will stay there  then walk to your helm select neutral click it into forward on tick over until you are clear of all other boats then away you go.

Have a great holiday. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3

What MargeandParge said :default_biggrin: 

I'm not much use at giving advice about tying boats up etc but I am so pleased your operation and recovery went well Andrew.

I hope you have a great time on your holiday, just take everything slow and easy, eat in the pubs, don't hit another boat, don't take photos of Herons and definitely keep an eye on your fuel consumption :default_biggrin: (just kidding)

All the best x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Not at all sure about a prop turning with an unmanned helm for the mooring.

Yes, I quite agree, although I do it myself sometimes when on my own, moving boats about in a basin.

There is also the big risk of dropping a line in the water, which will at once get drawn round the prop.