Mooring Fees

Andrewcook

As the Norfolk Broads will be getting in full swing with things such as Day Boat and Hirers / Private Boaters alike. Mooring Fees are getting a bit excessive take the New Inn Horning for in stance now charges Fifteen Pounds Per Night No refund for having a Meal or Drinks and No water Facilities there as to some places. All this will put off the goodwill of people coming to the Norfolk Broads and not gaining their customs for the future.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I fear it's just supply and demand Andrew. Any business charges what it can get for it's products and services, if people stop paying then the price will come down. With premium spots it won't be any time soon.

• Like 1

Yes has anyone told to these New Owners at the New Inn that this is not right may be £10 per night with a Refund on Meals or Drinks surely I would have thought Take Mooring at the Bridge Inn Acle is doing a very good trade.  As to Phil & Vanesa  are doing a splendid job running the Bridge Inn Pub & Restaurant at Acle.

34 minutes ago, Ray said:

I fear it's just supply and demand Andrew. Any business charges what it can get for it's products and services, if people stop paying then the price will come down. With premium spots it won't be any time soon.

Looking at something I saw on FB yesterday, supply is already outstripping demand in some areas.  Ferry Marina are offering up to 45% discounts on boating holidays for the Bank Holiday week.

I wonder if the bubble has already burst.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Looking at something I saw on FB yesterday, supply is already outstripping demand in some areas.  Ferry Marina are offering up to 45% discounts on boating holidays for the Bank Holiday week.

That's a real surprise! Well, to me at least 🙂 Possibly the upcoming bank holiday is unusual for the amount of events most people will have near home for the Jubilee?

• Love 1

Good for the price of some of these boats.You can have a really good holiday abroad.

As for moorings. I won't be going  back to the New Inn in a hurry.We used to moor there all the time when Mark was there.Often spending over £100 a time.The food was always good.To be honest if I did go back now,I wouldn't eat there would go elsewhere.

Think most pubs that do charge,will take the cost of meals,which is fair enough. 

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I had a quick trawl around Hoseasons this morning, but can only find discounts (for boats) on Brooms craft. Next week (with the extra Jubilee holiday) is virtually sold out. What I have noticed is that though the school holidays have plenty of availability, unlike the last two years, the nearer you get to a start date, the more sold out it becomes. The June weeks 11th 18th and 25th look busier at this stage than you would have expected pre-Covid for instance. It may be that what with escalating living costs, people leave booking until they know for sure they are going to be able to afford it.

• Like 1

There is a limiting factor here. 
Available mooring near places to eat and drink. 
Bridge inn at Acle has a load of mooring around it and easy access by road. 
Other places, especially in the north are very restricted so how much trade do they get from the river?

We don’t eat out in most areas in the northern broads because simply I can’t moor anywhere near them. 
Horning, Wayford, potter and wroxham no chance. 

6 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Malcolm, maybe the Facebook Ad did the trick. I can only see White Emblem, a 2 berth boat, available for next week.

Maybe, but 45% is a hell of a discount.  Looking at Richos website, one of their latest acquisitions appears to only be booked for about three weeks through the season.  I’m sure that pricing is going to become a major consideration for hirers for the next couple of years, as the expected recession bites and there is a major squeeze on household incomes.

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

The June weeks 11th 18th and 25th look busier at this stage than you would have expected pre-Covid for instance. It may be that what with escalating living costs, people leave booking until they know for sure they are going to be able to afford it.

June 16th marks the start of the course fishing season on rivers .Prices for boats and riverside properties always go up from that date.

32 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Barnes are offering discounts as well.

Where are they Fred? I've checked their site and Facebook but haven't come across them. I did get an email saying they had reduced their prices for 3 nights from  3rd/4th June, but when i looked at them, none had changed as far as I could tell. 

Mooring fees?

Waveney river centre. £25 overnight, elec EXTRA, the pub has a habit of shutting early and no longer offers food, comfy seating removed too. Camping site to close too. I fear we will lose another pub. We used to stop there, especially the Lads week crew - not anymore 

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I’m not inclined to book anything like as far in advance as we used to. Even though we have limited choice due to our preferences for what we need on a boat, I take my chances. There’s too many other things I might want to do. Very careful use of my annual leave allowance is therefore required. If I had more time off I could book more holidays! :default_rofl:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Mooring fees?

Waveney river centre. £25 overnight, elec EXTRA, the pub has a habit of shutting early and no longer offers food, comfy seating removed too. Camping site to close too. I fear we will lose another pub. We used to stop there, especially the Lads week crew - not anymore 

Griff

:default_blink:  When we were moored at Beccles this was a regular for us, in the days when Alan looked after the moorings and

lived on the Dutch barge.  Certainly would not be going there now!  :default_drink_2:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Where are they Fred? I've checked their site and Facebook but haven't come across them. I did get an email saying they had reduced their prices for 3 nights from  3rd/4th June, but when i looked at them, none had changed as far as I could tell. 

Probably the same email as you dont bother checking as I don`t hire.

Fred

• Thanks 1