How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

49 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I also heard it at the far end of the viaduct moorings on Friday night. That’s a good old distance the sound is carrying all around the area. 

I wondered whether you might. It's a bit anti social ... up to 11pm or even midnight you might get away with. But all night is going a bit far. I am seriously considering contacting the local authority to ask what the terms of the event were, if indeed you have to be licensed for live music.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2023 at 09:55, MauriceMynah said:

Much to tell you all about so I'll get on with it

I do like to see ‘how busy can it get’ pop up into the list of recent posts. Always good to follow your latest project MM. And very glad the saw now works as it should!

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I wondered whether you might. It's a bit anti social ... up to 11pm or even midnight you might get away with. But all night is going a bit far. I am seriously considering contacting the local authority to ask what the terms of the event were, if indeed you have to be licensed for live music.

I would consult the local authority! They might think they are in the middle of nowhere but sound travels!

• Like 2

I can confirm it’s coming over loud and clear at Coltishall lock this early evening, helped perhaps by the stiff breeze from the same(ish) direction. 
Earplugs at the ready tonight. 
Mind you, I’ve quite liked their choice of music so far this evening 😀

Well well well. In spite of Mr Qs best efforts  I awoke this morning blissfully unaware of the impending 3 rivers race. My hand ( much improved  ) was pain free and not poorly enough to warrant overstaying further on the Acle mooring.  I had to go.

Deciding to head Sutton wards for a much needed pump out, I went forth.  As I veered to port at Thurne mouth, I observed a surprisingl number of sailing craft. All heading up the Bure. That's when I remembered the 3 rivers.  

So, I find myself moored at the mouth of Cockshoot dyke with probably the second finest view for the race. The finest view of course will be from the sailing boats looking at the boat with the distinctive patina.

Now, I mention all this because of a rather strange coincidence.  A short while ago, a 45ft craft ( I know it was 45 feet long as it had "45" written on it ) decided to turn round in the dyke. He would have made it too if he hadn't decided to do it right by the emergency ladder which blocked him. He moved along a bit and managed to scrape round with much use of rope and bow thrusters. Having made himself look a right doughnut he left, going I know not where.

No more than 10 minutes later another boat,  of exactly the same design, tried to do the same thing, in the same place with the same results.

What a wonderful day today is turning out, though I have had to tell my cheeks to clench themselves as it looks like Sunday or Monday before any pumpouts happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WOW, I say again, WOW.

Sitting here at Cockshoot dyke I'm getting a terrific view of the sailing boats, and learning so much.

I have always been aware that a tacking sailing boat travels in two alternating directions whilst wanting to go in a third, but how about this what I've discovered.

We shall say the skipper wants to go North. He alternately goes East, then West in his battle with the elements.

What I had never realised was that all the time he's going east and west, he is also being blown sideways going South.

This single piece of information explains so much to me.

It explains why all crews wear matching bobble hats and waterproofs. It shows why they all sound so happy when they reach a pub, or even get a boats beam closer to one.

I always thought train spotting was something of a time-wasting occupation but no, trainspotting pales into insignificance compared to sailing.

I bet they do jigsaws in the winter.

Sorry all you sailies,  I'm just ribbing.  :-)

I've just noticed. My boat is entirely surrounded by sailing boats. Hmmm I really hope you all have a most enjoyable weekend.   :-)   :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Now, some of you might be wondering why I, Maurice Mynah am making entries on this thread at 05:00 on a Saturday morning.  Not a disco this time. It is someone who has decided that it is appropriate to run their engine, I assume for hot water. 

My next hatch neighbour is running their heating but I happily forgive that. I hate being cold, and they do look as though some of the crew have "special needs ". This is not the boat running its engine though.

Well, whatever! Now I'm awake I might start work on a shelf I've decided to build. I'm quite sure that my circular saw will disturb no-one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm up too, about the make breakfast , then 36 hours worth of food and drink  ( no alcohol) .

The Landrover is loaded up with the buoy, radios, first aid kit, race flags, lights., I just have to add a mast to put the radio aerial up high.

Then I'll head to Hickling sailing club to set up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, this year's fishing season is 24 hours old, OK, 41 hours then, either way I find myself moored at Ludham Bridge and wonder why more people don't stay for the wonderful entertainment. 

The first story, and to my mind, the best.

I have, for the day  been watching the boats mooring and leaving the moorings.  Boy was it their lucky day. There was, shall we say  a mature gentleman giving all the novices, newbies and highly experienced skippers the benefit of his obviously vast experience. 

He was calling out his advice very clearly, which was good, and he was using lay terms to make sure he was understood, which also was good.

What was perhaps slightly less helpful was that, without exception,  every piece of advice given was wrong.

I watched as the poor hapless novice was getting into ever increasingly difficult situations  with our generous self appointed harbour master calling out even more questionable instructions. 

One fellow had managed to get a sternline ashore  and was told "Now, helm hard over to your right and plenty of revs to pull the front in" 

Oddly enough, that didn't work. Most boats managed to get in, in spite of the assistance given. 

The gentleman walked passed my boat, and later reappeared pushing a large trolley loaded to the hilt with fishing gear. He looked at me, smiled and said "Well, we all started somewhere!"

I honestly don't know if he was having fun or really thought he was helping, but he was here, giving his assistance for about three hours.

A coxed four came past a while ago, followed by another ten or so of them, all heading up the Ant.

In amongst them was a sailing boat which had just raised its mast and was attempting to tack it's way, also up river. It seemed to be trying to give way to the rowboat, yet seemed unable to work out where they were going.

I heard a voice call out, "Now you know what it's like".

And finally Cyril,  

Sitting here deciding whether to wash the boat or to say "Hang it" and pour another small libation,  I was alerted by a voice shouting out "Go backwards, you're going to hit that boat... go backwards... GO BACKWARDS.

Expecting to hear a loud crunch, I heard ... well, nothing, but a few seconds later... "Go backwards, you're going to hit the bank... go backwards..."

The sailing boat tacked past me with a youngish lass on the bow, giving instructions to what looked like a very tired father.

I tell you, it all happens at Ludham Bridge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Haven't we all been subjected to such an expert!

I know I have and so has my dad. I remember being on holiday with my parents, my dad was very expertly doing a stern on mooring the other side of Wroxham bridge when a man standing on the bow of his boat gave my dad the benefit of his experience and knowledge We didn't pay him any attention and moored up without touching a boat or bank.

Later on that afternoon the expert and his wife cast off. The wife was shouting instructions from the aft of the boat, he managed to hit both boats either side of him as his wife disappeared, not because she was embarrassed, the force of one of the bumps knocked her over :facepalm:She was fine though, she jumped up and went inside pretty damn quick anyway. As he cruised past, my dad who was sitting in the front well with a beer raised his glass and nodded not saying a word, he didn't want to embarrass the couple any more as he figured they'd done quite enough of that themselves :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Goodness me! It is one year and one month since I started this thread. This would not have come to my attention had it not been that I am moored in exactly the same spot as I was then. The bend in the river on the approach to South Walsham broad.  Lovely spot, greatly improved by the BA. Yes, I know the arguments about the surfacing,  but the new posts make solo mooring a doddle anyway it takes more than a bit of granite to get through Nyx's patination. 

So, what is it today that causes me to put finger to keyboard?

I'll tell you, or even ask you.

Keeping a dog under control.  

What is the definition of "under control" I ask. 

This morning I was moored at the BA moorings at Potter heigham.  A lady walked past Nyx, exercising 4 dogs, 3 of which were on leads. The fourth she was watching as it peed on my stern mooring line via the post it was tied  to. The lady took no action to attempt to stop this. One of the other dogs took advantage of the halt of walkies and watered the post with my bow line on it. Again, the lady was aware, again nothing was done to stop the dog, which was on one of those extending leads.

So dear reader, I don’t blame either of the dogs, they just did what dogs do (if not under control) but what of the lady? Can she reasonably claim she was in control of the dogs?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

She had control but was not exercising it! One of the biggest bugbears of responsible dog owners are people like the lady you describe... literally give a dog a bad name (and their owners)

I would have had to say something to her and I am very averse to confrontation!

• Like 1

I'm of the view that mooring lines tied to posts on open ground are going to get pee'd on a few times, once a wooden post has been pee'd on once every other dog passing is going to sniff it and pee on it, and it could have been a fox overnight joining in the doggy social network or that started it in the first place.

They maybe thought a rinse down might help the patina.....

At least by peeing on both lines they kept it even.

• Haha 2

I would also have said something and offered her a sopping wet mop to aid her endeavours. I would also add one little point about “control”. 
when living in Switzerland where dog laws are extremely strict, control does NOT mean being on a lead. It means a dog under your control does what you want NOT what it wants. 

That is exactly the case here. I don’t need a lead to stop Monty peeing on something I don’t want him to pee on. She obviously didn’t care, in which case, she will continue unless circumstances make it too uncomfortable for her to continue. Confrontation is a very strong word, however don’t leave it to someone else, we know where that leads… 

Be polite, and firm. Say what you wish to say then either keep repeating it in an even tone or just say nothing more, most folks in todays society simply can’t cope and usually start screaming. Having a smartphone out will always help. 

• Like 1

It's not about control, its about a lack of respect for other people and their property.

The other week I parked at Dunwich Heath National Trust car park. The car next to me the couple were busy putting on their walking boots and letting their dog run around. The moment I opened my boot to start putting on my walking boots their dog is jumping up at my bumper trying to get into my boot. I pushed it away and told it to get down, the next minute it was back jumping up again. I pushed it down again and said louder for it to get down. The guy next door then said the one phrase that really makes my blood boil, "Don't worry he's harmless, he's only being friendly" My reply was I don't care, its claws are scratching my bumper, get it under control, or I will, followed by a few words I won't repeat on the forum. The owner soon retrieved his dog, with his tail between he's legs, the owner that is, not the dog.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Don't worry he's harmless, he's only being friendly"

I hate that phrase,

In my working life I would be bitten at least once a year by a 'friendly' dog. In the end I always insisted any dog was isolated outside and on a short lead if I was in that room. My attitude was always, control it or find another surveyor. The dog is only doing its job of protecting the owner and house.

I had a similar incident in the marina, a little yappy thing running at me, I told the owner to control it on a lead or it would be in the water.

Some owners forget that not everyone is comfortable or happy with dogs, no matter how allegedly friendly they think they are. I am more than happy to have dogs around me that are under control and take no interest in me.

• Like 2

herein lies the problem, the dog owner sees the dog taking a Pee on a post, they dont notice the mooring lines, or associate them with someone needing to handle the ropes at some point, they are blissful in their ignorance. I would have maybe pointed out that I have later to handle those ropes your dog is soiling, could you please stop them. at least that way maybe they will think next time little tinkerbell approaches a mooring post with intent to pee.