Open Water Swimming

craigmc67

I was sitting on the moorings enjoying the weather on the Waveney and saw a number of swimmers, some we’re wearing high viz and had coloured tow floats so could be spotted easily but others were wearing black swimming hats and no high viz so were not easily visible especially in the evening when most of the swimming takes place.

one boat got a bit close for comfort.

is there any rules for open water swimmers 

No there's nothing in the navigation regs about open water swimmers,

I've seen them swimming through Horning , black wetsuit, black or blue rubber hat, towing,  some feet behind them, a tiny fluorescent orange float... with a small six inch square flag on it..

• Like 1

It seems a bit like allowing jogging on a motorway to me!

I don't want to stop anyone enjoying the rivers in any way they please but I also don't want a tragic accident on my conscience for the rest of my life!

Let's share the water but have some designated places for safety's sake!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Not sure I would want to wild swim anyway, what with all the raw sewage releases you hear about on our rivers :default_icon_eek:

Blakes often showed river swimming in their brochures and until 1973 you flushed the loo into the river or Broad. OK but you had to look out for floaters! :default_wacko:

Fred

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Our rivers are the cleanest they've been in over a hundred years. That's why all the broads are clogging up with weed, and the river edges are getting lined with Water Lilies.

Unfortunately I do think there will be an accident some time, drunken driver or inexperienced driver of a hire boat verses a near invisible commuting swimmer. Note I didn't say helm...

The old Blake's swimming photos would normally be at a broad with moored boats, yes there is  a danger of incoming boats. But not as likely as those that have taken to swimming down rivers.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy a dip in the river but it was best done on quieter stretches and where boats can be seen coming from a distance. Keeping close to the bank is also a good idea and always head towards the bank on the approach of a boat. I did see, just about, some time ago a swimmer in the middle of the river just above Acle Bridge who must have had a death wish.

By the way, please take care when venturing up river from Wroxham. There is a place with a sandy beach and a BA mooring, the name escapes me at present. The local's children (supervised) use it as a swimming place. Sound the horn and slow down to a tick over and stop if necessary, also beware of anybody swimming from the beach upstream. A quick chat with the swimmers will confirm if anybody has gone upstream. It may be an idea to post a lookout on the bow too.

Although BA do not condone swimming in the Broads it may be an idea for them to post a notice warning boaters that there may be swimmers in the area. 

• Like 3

We swim often in Womack, we assume the boaters are all blind, untrained, lunatics, so have never been close to a boat.

It is common here to see paddle boarder, swimmers, canoeists and anyone else not driving a 45 foot 6-ton boat identified as dangerous, but it is a sad fact that recent accidents, including fatalities have been where inexperienced boaters have behaved foolishly or recklessly. Having talked to wild swimmers, they seem perfectly capable of staying away from boats.

at coltishall it seems the done thing for local teens to swim, canoe and paddle board to the pub, i came down last month and was faced with about 30 river users, at sight of me they all headed in different directions, there were 2 swimmers amongst them, only 1 had a float behind. at the time i only had partial throttle control, as i had something wrapped around the prop, which made navigating past then fun (at the time I just thought the engine was playing silly B's it was only later I found the strap wrapped around the prop.)

geldeston is also a favorite swimming place, with the inlet at the end of the campsite opposite the village staithe quite popular, you get some askance glances from the swimmers when heading to the staithe.

As dangerous as it can be swimming in busy boating areas I'm of the mind that it's just humans enjoying a river, we're the ones in big lumps of grp/rot wood with smelly spinny choppy bits so it's our job to look out for them and avoid them as long as they accept accidents can and do happen, that said the ones that think swimming towards the back of a moving boat is a good idea take their own chances with the spinny choppy bits, that's dawinism.

People are allowed to cross busy roads after all.

• Like 2

All about visibility. 
I once had some nut job swim out from a pumping station on the Ant, lost in the glare from the sun on the water, coming from behind a moored boat while I was abreast another boat coming from the other direction. 
Total luck I didn’t hit them. Only knew about it as I went past. 

The kids have been swimming from Caen Meadow, to my knowledge, for 65 years plus!!

Nowt changes much, except we now worry about it. They used to swim out and hang onto your dinghy  - that was when the extra long boathook we carried, came into its own!!! A few thwacks and they soon let go!!!:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

For a trip along the nene many years ago I carried a portapotti base full of torn bog roll and a bit of coffee powder for colour, was good for getting the little gits to vacate the lock pens when wanting through, glug glug you carry on lads, oh they've got out....

I think there are always places where kids and family’s swim and these are generally well known spots so I see no problem there my concern is when you come across the random open water swimmer miles from anywhere and not wearing the appropriate high viz, a moment’s lack of concentration could end up in a nasty accident and nobody wants that

• Like 2