What Is The Future Of The Norfolk Broads?

Andrewcook

As to this Year of Financial upheaval  this country is going through as to Holidays in the UK is getting expensive as their is major problems on people wishing to going abroad cannot do so due Airports and Flights  cancellations . As to the Norfolk Broads will it survive this knock on effect with Tourism's and Boat  Hiring along with Pubs & Restaurants this year but what about the future years for the Norfolk Broads?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am afraid as of friday lunchtime the broads and east coast will be having to put up with me for the next two weeks, not that I've been abroad in over 20 years anyway.

I'll try not to put too many holiday makers off the area but nothing promised.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RogF said:

. Guilty as hell...:-)

Why guilty? I agree with Grendel. Personally, the Broads appeals far more than the Algarve. My 20’s self would have probably had a different opinion. That’s the problem with the younger generation. They think their opinions will be fixed for life!

Personally I think we're all in for a financially tough 12/18 months. It won't be the 1st tough year the hire yards and broads have had. I believe the yards that are left are pretty robust have a solid customer base and will pull through. I can't think of any small yard that's left that isn't busy. Fingers crossed they weather the storm and still continue. Personally I believe totally that the broads hire industry is a much better thing with small independent hire yards. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Did you mean WAS a much better thing with small independant hire yards? Not many small yards left now.

I think Clive at Horning Pleasurecraft is a prime example of a small, successful, well run independent yard. Long may he last !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I think Clive at Horning Pleasurecraft is a prime example of a small, successful, well run independent yard. Long may he last !

I have to agree, we moved to Horning Pleasurecraft in February after securing a mooring and have now become one of the many syndicates that moor there.

• Like 1

I would not call Clive a "small yard"!!!! He may not have a large hire fleet but he has a big yard and moorings for about 40 private boats, mostly large. I don't know what he plans are with his hire fleet but I expect he has plans for 10/15 or so. He has a big workshop with room for fabrication, and I guess room for some expansion. 

Whilst it does not make him "large" in comparison with the four main yards, I would say its a fair size and well within the "middle" range. And he is growing a good name whilst others have got too large and are losing the personal touch!

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

He also has recently purchased a Marina in Brundall, so has expanded his portfolio.

And has submitted planning for a massive redevelopment of the Horning site.

• Like 1

Cracking looking fleet his putting together at HPC, never met Clive before but always comes across as a very helpful kind of guy and he clearly knows what his doing. Think the new boat is going to look fantastic when she's launched. Brave man to step out of the family business and go it alone. Good luck to him and all the other little yards that work so hard trying to keep us all afloat. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Cracking looking fleet his putting together at HPC, never met Clive before but always comes across as a very helpful kind of guy and he clearly knows what his doing. Think the new boat is going to look fantastic when she's launched. Brave man to step out of the family business and go it alone. Good luck to him and all the other little yards that work so hard trying to keep us all afloat. 

We have met Clive a number of times both he and Victoria very nice.Done to earth and clearly now there trade.

17 hours ago, marshman said:

Trouble is he backs onto a National Nature Reserve - always going to be sticky that one!!!

the voles are on the lawn where the house is/was and where I need to replace the quay heading down the dyke... shame really as the surveys are done in April and September but the whole site is usually underwater between October - February! 

There are about 75 moorings at Horning which is a good number, similar amount (albeit smaller boats) at Cove marina Brundall.

Thanks for the comments, We have a fantastic team around us, (gone from 3 to 17 in 2 years)  which allows us to do what we need to get done, no single part of the operation is a goldmine on its own but the combination seems to work and it keeps me on the river! 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

the other thing is will the Private Boats be neglected in some way during  this financial squeeze we are all in at this time.

I can assure you that in my case, maintenance and boat cleaning will carry on, without any changes, financial squeeze or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1