Pubs You Miss

Broads01

14 hours ago, garryn said:

Its still there next to The Kings Head

It was boarded up for many years - don't know if it still is. I drank there a few times in the early/mid eighties, usually outside as it was a modern, soulless place inside. Think attached pic is the pub's terrace?

The Broads pubs' brews I can remember from the 60s were Bullards, Lacons and Steward and Patteson.

83 Chris Karl Darrell Julie Kath George Wroxham 012.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great photo, thanks for sharing. Sadly pub photos of the pre digital era are like hen's teeth so I'm always keen to see them. I do remember going in, seem to think it was a bit like a youth club inside. Yes indeed, Bullards and Steward and Patteson swallowed up by Watneys and Lacons by Whitbread if memory serves.

.....just noticed the Trumans umbrellas, think they were part of the Watney Grand Met empire. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

The Broads pubs' brews I can remember from the 60s were Bullards, Lacons and Steward and Patteson.

The Buck in Thorpe was a Morgans pub in the 50s.  Youngs and Crawshays had a large brewery in King St., in the old port of Norwich.  They were more well known for bottled beers, especially their pale ale.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The Buck in Thorpe was a Morgans pub in the 50s.  Youngs and Crawshays had a large brewery in King St., in the old port of Norwich.  They were more well known for bottled beers, especially their pale ale.

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The beers in them days were not the best were they. 

Just had a pink or three of Grain 3 6 2

Blooming yummy 

It's not 3 6 2 

But it is blooming yummy 🍺

On 04/01/2023 at 16:03, Vaughan said:

On 04/01/2023 at 16:03, Vaughan said:

The beers in them days were not the best were they. 

Just had a pink or three of Grain 3 6 2

Blooming yummy 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TerryM said:

The White Heron - formerly the Yare in Brundall - now serving food of a high standard. I understand that the chef came from the Cock at Cantley.

Ooh, that sounds good. I’ve read some very good things about food at The Cock at Cantley. Had we still been moored at Brundall I had intended to visit.

15 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Your menu Sir :default_biggrin:

Taken from their fb page. ( It is a public group )

The prices don't seem to bad although it is a limited menu.

Looks good

Will have to give it a try

Does anyone know if they still allow dogs inside?

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Also, where do you moor if you want to visit?

Not Brundall, by the sound of it!  The Yare Hotel used to have its own mooring dyke.  Which, come to think of it, was probably also the staithe.

Probably best to moor in Norwich and go by train.

8 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Sorry I don't like burgers.I hope there's more choice in future .

I'm sorry too. Maybe it's me but I don't see anything special about that menu at all.

• Like 2

Me either, there's no wine list :default_biggrin:.  The dessert menu looks very nice though so just go in and have three desserts

Starter....Chocolate Brownie

Main.....Strawberry Ice Cream Sundae

Desert....White Chocolate and Bailey's Cheesecake 

Sorted 

Joking aside, it is better to be open and serving a small menu than not at all. I hope they do well x

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That’s what we’d like to know too. Also, where do you moor if you want to visit?

If you have a Facebook account, they have a page - The White Heron Brundall.  I won’t take a screenshot of the post (don’t want to upset anyone again), but to quote a post from 22nd October ‘dogs welcome, people tolerated.’

The private moorings adjacent to the pub seem to have been cleared, so maybe there will be some visitor moorings available in time, however Paul has a visitor mooring at Swancraft - just call him first to book. 

• Like 3