Bargate

Ray

Hopefully I've got the right name here, the small Broad that you can access in Brundall... port side as you head upstream.

Anyway, many many years ago we mud weighted overnight here and it was pretty wonderful.

Is this still possible? I had a cruise through last time I was out and didn't see any channel markers or obvious restrictions (there was a small area with the yellow poles off to one side)

Can't mud weight while the dog is with us anyway but if I got a chance for a little solo break it would be high on my list.

• Like 3

My favourite too. I've mud weighted on Barton Broad, absolutely magical. Salhouse Broad is brilliant too especially watching the comings and goings on a summers day. Isn't boating just the best thing,. You can moor up at a pub and be sociable or mud weight and be completely alone, best of both worlds x

• Like 3

Surlingham Broad and Bargate are separate stretches of water. The navigable broad is Bargate. Surlingham Broad is shallow and navigable only by small craft. If you enter by the upstream dyke from the middle of Brundall turn left for Bargate or right for Surlingham. Surlingham Staithe is also up there. We made it up in a dinghy some years ago but I believe tree falls have now blocked access

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always call it Surlingham Broad and always will, even though that's technically incorrect. To be honest I have called it that for 50 years so wont be changing soon, I blame all the guides and relatives who have always referred to it as that, just like Ranworth is Malthouse. I am awkward like that.

Anyway It's a great peaceful mooring with plenty of wildlife. I mudweighed two/three weeks back and was fine. I think the only issue I saw was plenty of weed or undergrowth in parts, no prop issues just a collection on the mudweight

Neil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ray said:

(there was a small area with the yellow poles off to one side)

Behind those posts are the "bones" of at least seven wherries, which were sunk on the broad during the war. When I was a boy they were still more or less whole and I could walk all over their decks.  I have read that a lot of the ironwork and other fittings were "re-cycled" from them when the Wherry Trust bought the Albion and re-rigged her as a sailing wherry, in the early 50s.

100_3510.thumb.jpg.cd7b1b0848213789cd98c9e8519e9a90.jpg

100_3512.thumb.jpg.1b880d787ffdb7a8d08ddae06af9c0b7.jpg

I too, have never heard it called anything but Surlingham Broad, until only about 10 years ago.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Maybe the sign to Ranworth Broad should be changed to Malthouse Broad! 

Well... It's not actually wrong. I mean you pass the entrance to Ranworth Broad as you enter Malthouse.

Also does the sign not just say 'Ranworth' ?