Witnesses sought

Oddfellow

We are seeking any witnesses who were on or around Reedham Ferry on Wednesday 24 September 2014 at 3:30pm approximately who may have seen an incidebt between Sweet Freedom and the ferry vessel which resulted in the cruiser taking on water having sustained considerable damage and being unable to manoeuvre.

The damage is significant. Rudder ripped out and bent beyond repair. New propellor significantly damaged. Suspected damage to couplings (also new). Bloody great hole on the hull. Water damage to cabin linings. Possible damage to eberspacher. Very large repair bill. Boat is now afloat again awaiting recovery to Kingfisher yard when we will slip her again, carry out the remainder of the grp repairs, remove drive gear for testing and finally reinstall the rudder and refit the interior.

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about one of your boats, but at the end of the day your hirer is at fault. they have not waited for the ferry to cross or have gone to close to the chains which has resulted in the accident.

The passage through where the ferry operates is not difficult but care and concentration is needed, if mooring at the Reedham Ferry we always pass the ferry and turn around before coming in to moor.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Quote "Sorry to hear about one of your boats, but at the end of the day your hirer is at fault. they have not waited for the ferry to cross or have gone to close to the chains which has resulted in the accident."

I'm afraid I have to disagree strongly with that statement. I haven't seen the incident, or heard anything about it, other than what I have read on the forums, but it should be noted that the byelaws state that the ferry should give way to other river traffic. If the ferry moved off when a cruiser was already committed to passing then it most definitely would be the ferries fault.

Since the incident alluded to earlier by Poppy I believe a safety review was done. One of the outcomes appears to be new signs that say something similar to "skippers are advised not to pass this point until the ferry has docked" Now I see that as advice, not what the byelaws state, however I take the view that if I haven't reached that point, I will give way to the ferry. If I reach that point and the ferry is docked, I DO NOT expect it to depart. On more than one occasion I have had the ferry depart once I am beyond those signs, and had to take avoiding action by backing off. I have also had the ferry give way to me and wave at me to speed up. Whilst I don't want to hold the ferry up, I don't expect to have to speed through so that it can get moving.

When the tide is running fast the ferry does not have to move far away from the bank to drift with the tide and make the chains in front and behind lift and go tight. Not always obvious to the novice. More reason for the ferry to observe, their own advisory signs and to not depart once a cruiser has passed the advisory signs.

Just my views based upon recent experience over the last 18 months or so, but I would definitely reserve judgement on the incident reported until witnesses have come forward.  

• Like 2

Regardless of who may be to blame or contributed to this, it is a very unfortunate and expensive episode for Andy to now have to go through and I hope the damage done is limited to the underwater gear and not the likes of  heaters needing to be replaced and other internal costly items.

Reading between the lines it seems nobody has said 'sorry it was my fault' and admitted full liability and because of this,  if this was to get into litigation it would likely be a very long protracted and above all expensive route to take.

Whatever happened I am very 'on the ball' when coming along this stretch and always keep a sharp look out using binoculars to see what is going on with the ferry - is it loading or unloading is it moving will it begin to and personally would be the one wanting to slow and if needed turn and head away from it if the tide was running fast than try and stop and wait.

What surprises me is when the ferry is begging to move over the river and during its transit there is not some flashing lights to say 'when lights flash ferry will cross river ' just to draw your attention to the fact it is moving.

While small, the photo below shows just how much of the chain's can be stretch out over the river.

250px-Under_way_with_the_Reedham_Chain_F

• Like 4

Our experience of the Ferry Operator is that he always waits for us to pass and if we see that he is moving we lay back and wait for the chains to settle and then pass.     For the sake of a few minutes it is not worth chancing things.    The water there is extremely deep so the chains do go down a long way, so aim for the centre between the stationary Ferry and the other bank.

I understand exactly where Keith is coming from as something similar happened to me a few years ago, travelling down river wind and tide behind me. The speed at which the chains lift of the river bed ahead of the ferry when it starts moving would perhaps surprise some people. I don't really want to say too much as I don't think speculating as to what has happened on this occasion helps Andy or anyone else. I certainly add my voice to the many in hoping that the damages, especially the water damage which can be so far reaching is not as bad as first thought and the boat can be repaired and back out of the river promptly, earning money as it should be.

The boat is afloat now but without any rudder gear. Full GRP repairs have yet to be completed, but she's watertight.

We hope to tow her back to Kingfisher this weekend, time permitting.

Many thanks to our good friends at Sandersons and also to Mark (owner of the Patrol Boat at Reedham) for their help.

• Like 2

I am very sorry also to hear of the news and hope that your boat can be repaired.I am sure someone will be able to explain how the accident happened.

A few years back we spotted a hire boat that seemed to visiting ever pub along the Yare. They pulled out of the moorings at the ferry Reedham,just in front of the ferry,which had to stop quickly.

It goes to show that some people don't think.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday as we reached the ferry , the chains formed a complete barrier across the river on both sides of the ferry

Due obviously to a very strong ebb tide pulling the ferry downstream towards Reedham

I have in the past taken a chance and passed when the ferry was almost stopped , however seeing the vessel almost across the river  and yet still miles out laterally has changed my outlook totally , as the slack side chains kept suddenly appearing as the ferry struggled into land

We had to stop dead (or as dead as you can in such current) and wait almost a minute until the ferry finally struggled in to its berth .

SInce there was a yacht race at that time it must have been very hairy indeed for some of them , as indeed it was at Reedham Swing Bridge on their return also - though it was very entertaining to watch at the Ship Inn !

A bit late on the reply, but wind and tide at Reedham can catch a lot of people out (I had a devils own job getting off the moorings there last October in the high winds).

Picture of an unfortunate sole from last August who managed to get everything wrong and ended up lodged on the ferry with the rudder caught on the chain with an outgoing tide. The ferry guys managed to get it clear after a lot of effort, but a few other boats did almost the same thing turning up tide, with the wind and too close to the ferry.

I am sure we have all made mistakes (I know I have) and until you have had some experience or lessons both hire and private boats will get caught out I guess.

As for protocol at Reedham, I always stand off and wait until I know the ferry man has seen me and waved me through before I continue. Not always easy if your going with the tide in a low powered boat, but then I have lots of power, twin engines and a bow thruster to hold me where I want to. Not always been this flash, and have had my share of hire boats that you just have to think a bit more about what your doing and when you do it.

Sorry to hear your boat was seriously damaged and hope you get it sorted out.

I like the idea of flashing lights even if it's only on the ferry itself before they move off.post-30810-0-00415800-1413217753_thumb.j

• Like 3

There are mistakes and then there are some absolutely foolish actions. 

The worst possible trait in a skipper is believing that one is capable when one most certainly isn't. 

If you are a novice, inexperienced, new to a situation or unsure, the absolute last thing you should do is put yourself, your vessel, your crew and all those on other surrounding vessels in any danger. 

Yes we had the same happen to us last Friday. The chains were showing on both sides of the ferry as it was going across, so we had to wait until the ferry had stopped to unload.

I would like to tell everyone to take it easy around Reedham ferry and double check before you make your move to go past it.

Regards

Marina     :Stinky