Ludham Bridge Boatyard.....

sos247

Just to keep our loyal customers & forum friends informed....

Sadly, at the end of this year myself & Sonia (my wife!) have decided to close the boatyard at LBBY..... :-(

My health is not great due to a kidney disease and the hospital has signed me off, plus as some people may already now Sonia has a cancer which can not be cured.....

Its a major decision to make and affects our very loyal staff, customers & suppliers but we had to decide.

Obviously the lack of support from the BA, EA and any other authority involved at Ludham Bridge also had an impact on our longterm decision.

We will continue as normal this year and we still have plenty of work to sort, however we will not be booking in any work for winter 2015/16.....

We loved every minute of our time at the boatyard and despite a small business being a struggle, it was enjoyable, the Broads just has that likeable factor.....its also just a lifestyle.....

Despite being born locally, it took me a while to truly understand why so many people travel to the area, but its just a great place to be.

Thank you to everyone who supported us, and sadly its now just a case of watching this space to see what happens in 2016 at the boatyard site......

However at least people know the facts....

• Like 1

Note to NBN ! Both myself & Sonia will be pleased to continue sponsoring the NBN for the foreseeable future, despite the changes with Lbby etc.

We are also hoping to finally accept the many invitations for trips out on the Broads, and maybe i may even do some more sailing!!

Thats only if I'm allowed to to enjoy some 'jibing' !!! :-)

(was only allowed to tack last time!!!! :-).........)

• Like 6

Hi Jason really sorry to hear that news it must have been a very hard decision.

I was looking forward to bringing the new boat to you (which I still will do) once the survey etc is done for you to give your usual expert advise and friendly banter.

I will miss the confidence that if anything goes wrong I have a reliable and trustworthy person / yard to rely on. But other things are more important and I wish you all the best and look forward to calling in a few weeks.

Regards John B

• Like 4

Sad news, Jason. You and the gang have done so well down at the bridge.You will be missed greatly. I, as I am sure do others, respect and understand what must have been a very difficult decision for you. I wish you an Sonia well and hope it also works out for the yard and the team that work there.

Colin

• Like 3

Hello Jason

I'm sorry to hear this sad news.

I offer both you and Sonia my best wishes.

The only dealings I've had with you and your business is when we've called in for a punp out or to pay mooring fees but was always treated in a friendly welcoming manner.

Thank you for the support and advice you've given to this forum and hope you'll continue to drop by when you can.

Take care of youselves

David

• Like 4

Independent boatyards have been disappearing for years. Eitherthey close and the land is redeveloped or they are swallowed.

It is never a good thing to lose businesses like LBBY.

We shall see more going very soon. At least one more will be lost this year with the liklihood of at least one other in the next 12 months.

This is a very challenging arena in which to operate. Margins are small, profit difficult and with morons in quangos making things more difficult with every new ill-conceived decisions, frustrating.

I am sure that Jason ans Sonia have made the right decision for them but it will have been a very tough decision. I wish them both well.

• Like 8

Jason, a true gentleman.  Down to earth, open and frank. Often the David dealing with Goliath in business, but reputation and sound knowledge spoke louder than any advert could.

A hard decision to have made I am sure - a brave one too, but when you weigh up what is important in life there has to come the point of hanging up the work gloves and boots and taking a deep breath and enjoying life and freedom. 

Once the year is over it won't be quite the same without LBBY as another small boatyard and the skills fade away.  You've sure done yourself and many many customers proud - pat yourself on the back mate.

• Like 8

So sad that you have had to make this decision Jason.

Hopefully you and Sonia can start to relax a little

Any chance of finding someone from your mould to take over the yard and maybe involve you as a part-time consultant ?

Best wishes to you and Sonia for the future

Jeff

• Like 3

Lbby  - one of the best small boatyards on the broads

Jason Hatch  - simply the best !

We will miss you and Sonia and everyone else too and the broads will be a much poorer place, without you all

We hope you will be inebriated on Braveheart many more times in the future :) :) :)

Alex & Lorna

• Like 4

ALL I CAN SAY IS....................

A SAD OLE DAY  TO SEE A YARD CLOSE ......

GOOD LUCK TO YUO SONIA AND YUOR STAFF.................

A GOOD OLE YARD ......................INDEED

WIL BE MISSED...................

REGARDS...............................JON AND STAFF WMS LTD

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES

• Like 4

Boatyards like LBBY only come along once in a while. I do hope someone takes it over and carries on all the good work you have done Jason & Sonia. As many have said, enjoy your retirement, together. Take care.

Kindest regards,

Iain.

• Like 3

Hi Jason and Sonia

Like David (Deebee29) we have only called into LBBY on a couple of occasions (we may have even met and not known it) we were also made to feel welcome even though we were Pesky Hirers Lol. I know from the likes of this Forum you, Sonia and your Boat yard are thought of with the utmost respect.

i am so sorry you have had to come to the decision to shut up shop, as has I think been said sometimes other things are just more important. I have illness in my family at the moment so can sympathise with what you and your lady are going through, I wish you both all the very best in life, maybe time to sit back, relax and enjoy our lovely Broads

Grace

• Like 8

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

We are still aiming to enjoy this year with our friends & customers, (if the shed is still here after today!!! Its a bit windy!)

Unfortunately i reached my NBN quota today on the "like this" button !!! So i will be back again tomorrow !! :-)

We still have plenty of work booked in and the guys are all very supportive so we just carry on now, but we can now look forward to enjoying the harsh Broads winter from maybe a pub window....... instead of a cold & draughty workshop!!!

Thank you everyone!

• Like 12

Unfortunately i reached my NBN quota today on the "like this" button !!! So i will be back again tomorrow !! :smile:

(I did look to see where this setting is in the admin section although I can't find it, hopefully John or Alan can find and adjust for future). cheers

• Like 1

I had best make the most of this year then, I was a bit busy last year so didn't pop in  so much on the way home

for cups of tea!  I suppose next year I will have to go home via Wayford!

• Like 5

Hi Jason,

Had the pleasure of meeting you and Sonia last year at Beccles, never had the chance to use your yard , but just remember you as very nice people easily led astray by Alex and Lorna !!

Enjoy your retirement. God Bless. John

• Like 3

We dont know you personally but we have vistied LBB a few times for pumpouts water over the years when we have been in the area and were always welcomed by friendly staff who attended to our needs quickly. Very sad news of the intended closure but I think everyone will agree you must to do what is best for yourselves and your family and my wife and I wish you both the very best for the future. All the best Jason and Sonia x

• Like 1

There is little I can add to what has been said previously.  I (like Grace) have only been to Ludham on hired cruisers, but your reputation and customer service are first class and will be a huge loss to the broads.  Best wishes for a more relaxed year and future.

• Like 3