New Year challenge - famous boatyards and their boats

LizG

11 minutes ago, Regulo said:

I remember the Lister, and having been re-acquainted with it a few years ago when I was kindly invited aboard another Ripplecraft restoration project, it was even bigger than I remember! I bet the Nanni looks a bit lost under there!

The smaller and lighter engine means more room for beer stowage. 

• Haha 3

:P

Dad's loaded them all up ready for the projector to view tomorrow. I cant wait. It will bring back all the memories when I was always wanting to go to the 'beach' (salhouse) 

Im hoping the earlier pics will be when they hired woodies (before I was born) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Dad's loaded them all up ready for the projector to view tomorrow. I cant wait. It will bring back all the memories when I was always wanting to go to the 'beach' (salhouse) 

Take your camera or your phone with you............take pics of the pics and upload them... simples      :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

you could snap them with a digital camera/ phone as they are shown, this will give you a digital record of them.

19 hours ago, doolallydave said:

Hi ... to add to JanetAnne's bit about Leo Robinson 33 called "Kristi Lou" ... this was bought by my grandfather Bert Youngs & hired by the family out of Stokesby under Broadbeers Red Wale fleet till 71 when it was sold (next-door to Bells Craft ? also in Stokesby) along with the rest of his "Lou" cruisers (due to a serious road accident whilst showing the new "fridge-safe" device that stopped all those burnt-out cruisers from gas fridges in the 60's at the EarlsCourt boat show). The photo is of Bert circa 67 in Kristi Lou for a hire brochure. Of the few materials left over from his decade running the fleet is a box of 100 5a29d7be7e8a3_RedWhalebadge1.thumb.jpeg.47353b84e14ae2c36ade9fad34039496.jpegceramic Red Whales that I assume were given to hirers as a momento.

Dave, grandson

5a29d6cb84d94_CruiserKristiLou.thumb.jpeg.ac1dd219659e3443e298096eb4c9992f.jpeg

I remember this boat as Blue Kestrel (in the Topcraft fleet?).

Roy

• Like 2

On 1/6/2016 at 09:29, AdnamsGirl said:

There are some fabulous old photos being posted on this thread - stop it! You're distracting me from getting any work done on the computer! :default_norty:

Many thanks to everyone for sharing them on here. I'm sure that I have a fair few photos on BM of old woodies which are still around. The photos below show the Collins Pleasure Craft cruiser "Patricia" c1963. The first was taken at her home yard in Oulton Broad whilst the second is an interior shot taken during the same holiday. (Both come from a lovely set of photos from the Andrew Day Collection) I was contacted by her current owner a few years ago as she was undergoing a full restoration. I'm not sure if that has now been completed?

Carol

daya63_oulton01.jpg.e00feba4cedd1b35e7a1

daya63_boatinterior.jpg.4e79d9600e6d5791

Just been reading back and am very happy to report that Patricia's restoration is now coming along nicely. She may even see the water in 2017 (come on Mr boat owner/restorer type person, I wont name you but I know you will read this)! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, WherryNice said:

There was a Ripplecraft for sale on Gumtree recently, looked like it would need a brave new owner....

Yes, she was in a very sad state and was beached on the mud for a few years.The bottom was wrecked. Anyone taking on the restoration of a Rippplecraft needs to be aware that they are not easy to work on. In particular, the bottom planking is difficult to remove and replace, we found that our the hard way. Even I would not be brave (or foolish) enough to take that particular old boat on. i will post more fully about our restoration journey when I get back from working on her in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Well I trawled through the slides but dad couldnt find the old ones just mainly caribbean boats from the 70's. because they were safer when me and my brother were little. I believe he hired some boats from FB Wilds 

I did find some photos of times I can remember when i was a bit older. 

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now I am being honest here, if I could own a boat, it would have to be a woody. I love the style that they give off and the look of wood varnished is simply perfection on a boat. But unless you have the time and money, unfortunately some of us can't go in that direction. I do have a lot of admiration for the people that keep woodies on our broads and may hope it continue.

In the mid seventies, in between aston boats, we hired a very strange looking boat from sandersons, I think it was called sandpiper and if I remember correctly it was a 30 foot woodie. Very odd design, what struck me was the way the cabin front swooped down to the deck and the aft cabin seemed to have a distinct upsweep to it. Unusual design but quite striking and always drew attention. I also seem to recall that there was a smaller 2 berth version too but can't remember what it was called.

Cracking boat though and didnt half shift over breydon.

Trev

Ray

Sandersons built 6 Sandpipers- I was the first to hire Sandpiper 6 brand new in 1965. The smaller craft were called Sanderlings and I think they built four of these. There is one on oil drums in the defunct Riverine yard, in Riverine colours at the end of the Chet in Loddon.

Boycee

:default_beerchug:

• Like 2