Biggest waste of money - Top 10? (Norfolk or Suffolk only)

LizG

These are my three:

The bat bridges on the new A11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34605886

The Spirit of Breydon

and finally having just completed a day trip to Norwich and back used the new Postwick what ever you call it for the first time so instead of a 2 second journey up the slip road to reach the Thorpe Road we now have to drive about 2 miles through the middle of nowhere, encounter several roundabouts and finally get back to where we nearly were 2 minutes previous when then was no traffic today. Okay when the northern bypass is finally built we might appreciate the slip road but until  then- it is simply a giant white elephant.

Contenders please for 7 more schemes /ideas that have wasted YOUR money!

• Like 1

And another gripe of mine, the number of small yellow stakes sprouting up around the rivers.  The overworked and underpaid rangers / inspectors (My opinion) have to take time out, collect stakes, travel to the sites, drive them into place, all of which has to be paid for (Launch,  Diesel,  Manpower time,  stakes   etc)  surely it cannot be that much more expensive to get a proper workboat in place to remove the offending root / stake in many instances!

Griff

• Like 2

Hand held gatso cameras.  It`s been proved and officially documented that NOBODY could hold them still enough, at arms length to obtain an accurate speed reading. As for the BA rangers sitting on a boat bobbing about on the water, or rolling side to side because of a passing boat or the ranger moving about, it would`nt surprise me one day to hear of somebody on a hire boat being booked at 70 mph against the tide through Yarmouth.

And yes, i WAS the victim of a gatso camera.

• Like 1

There is No Northern Bypass.! It is a relief road that stops near Taverham. If it ran from A47 to A47 over the North of Norwich it would be a Bypass. Known locally as the road to nowhere to we locals.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

There is No Northern Bypass.! It is a relief road that stops near Taverham. If it ran from A47 to A47 over the North of Norwich it would be a Bypass. Known locally as the road to nowhere to we locals.

Yes, a frustrating gap in the "ring road". :rolleyes:

I understand that the reason for the missing short section was the ecological impact of crossing the Wensum river meadows to the West of Norwich.

Considering the height and visual impact of the Postwick viaduct to the East of Norwich, that didn't seem to be a problem then......

How about the "re-branding" of the Broads as a pseudo National Park for starters?

Biggest waste of Lotto money has to be the funding of the further sequestration of Hoveton Great Broad. I suspect that the present owners could have well-afforded to pay for the job themselves.

Incidentally, can someone please explain why bats might need bridges? My biology qualifications might only stretch to an honours degree, but I always thought that the little blighters were quite capable of flying.

cheers

Steve

• Like 6

SteveO to answer that one apparently the bat bridges are situated on their flight path across the A11 and they guide them up and over our of harms way - as in trucks/cars windscreens. Of course I wonder if the bats flight paths ever change? The bridges do line up with the tree line so I assume the path will stay very similar.

Never heard of bat hits being very common though 

oh is that what they are.. that answers that question.. I couldn't work it out. First time I saw it I thought it was some climbing frame for the army lads there.. When I drove past the next five I was lost.. Surely the bats can and do just fly anywhere? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyPatricia said:

My boat, nuff said :taunt:

behave Steve.. I have it in writing you dont really mean that (between such comments lol)... you need more positive thoughts though as i'm sure she still has more blood to draw.. :evil: 

5 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Well exactly. They're not going to say "oh look, it's the A11, let's make sure we use the crossing" are they :naughty::naughty:.

And in any case, they have echolocation.

Oh, and how would you know,?.  For all you know, bats might read the green cross code?. oh no, sorry, they`re blind are`nt they. Can a join the ranks getting their coats now?.

On 03/01/2016 at 9:33 PM, SteveO said:

Incidentally, can someone please explain why bats might need bridges? My biology qualifications might only stretch to an honours degree, but I always thought that the little blighters were quite capable of flying.

cheers

Steve

Steve I am shocked and stunned you don't know why Bats need bridges...for their Batmobiles of course!

• Like 3

Jonzo said, They're not going to say "oh look, it's the A11, let's make sure we use the crossing" are they. Surely the solution for that would be to put up signs, the ones that are 'blind as bats' could always go to spec savers :naughty: Whatever next, tunnels for Badgers, foxes etc to cross safely. How our wonderful wildlife have managed to survive for centuries without our help is beyond me :rolleyes:

Grace

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

Jonzo said, They're not going to say "oh look, it's the A11, let's make sure we use the crossing" are they. Surely the solution for that would be to put up signs, the ones that are 'blind as bats' could always go to spec savers :naughty: Whatever next, tunnels for Badgers, foxes etc to cross safely. How our wonderful wildlife have managed to survive for centuries without our help is beyond me :rolleyes:

Grace

Hi Grace,

There are tunnels for frogs & toads:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

In fact the road off the A11 that goes to High Lodge/Brandon has newt tunnels across it. Mind you i think they have filled them in now because they got dangerous and it was probably easier to let a few newts die than replace them.

I think on the new A11 they also have hedgehog guides (as in low fences, not girl guides) to guide them away from the road. What will they think of next. 

• Like 1